05-21-15 07:09 PM
133 ... 23456
tools
    Try this.. https://mega.co.nz/#!6xhAFAKK!mxAnvj...lrW2XaZ2f1suKg

I'm just searching the forums for a 10.3.0.908 autoloader to test for myself.

I'll report back, but I was on a clean install of 1779 and was getting it bad.
    04-26-15 02:16 PM
    No problem 10.3.2.500 and Im typing at 50 60 wpm
    04-26-15 02:25 PM
    Has anyone experienced this on AT&T Passports yet?

I've had the passport since the at&t launch and haven't experienced it yet.

Does anyone think that aside from a software problem, could this also be caused by putting the phone in pockets where the buttons could be pushed and cause keyboard malfunctions? (my Passport always goes in a holster or jacket pocket, not trouser pockets where the pressure from my thigh could push the buttons)

I'm also running the 10.3.2.500 leak.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 04:03 PM
    I've always been a holster user. I kept my Passport in the box for 3 months after I bought it waiting for the holster.

I've had the problem on my Q10, fixed with a new keyboard, and now my Passport. So far it's been good in the few hours I've had it back on 10.3.0. With the amount I've typed I would gave already gotten a number of double types, but can't say I've gotten any yet, although I haven't been on my phone a ton since I downgraded.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 05:54 PM
    Hardware problem. The most problematic key, uu, just double typed again. That wasn't an accident, it was the phone double typing.

This ducks. Guess I'll have to plan when I can be without my Passport for a bit to send it in.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 06:53 PM
    It is hardware related, my q10 would do it all the time.
    04-26-15 11:13 PM
    No double type on my Passport yet but always hit a b instead of the space bar. You would think after 7 months, I would be used to the smaller space bar compared to my 3 double typed problem Q10's

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.500
    04-26-15 11:21 PM
    What do you think of this leaked OS so far. I really want to jump ship and test if the double letter is still there but I'm just concern it's too new and might crash too often. I did test the OS by going back to 10.3.0 and the double letter did go away but the camera software was horrifying so I'm back to 10.3.1.

No problem 10.3.2.500 and Im typing at 50 60 wpm
    04-27-15 12:08 AM
    I'm having problem with letter n being double typed after I upgraded to 10.3.1. It is bearable but annoying for sure.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-27-15 12:14 AM
    I have just reload my os without restoring any backup and see what happen. Here what I found: the double type letter is still the same as before the os reload. They are still I, T, and G. Now I am really wondering whether is an os thing or the hardware. I can't be sure it's an os now. My hunch is telling me it's a hardware thing. Yet maybe to some it's an os thing. Can some one explain the keytone they are using in passport? Are they any different from previous problematic 9780, q10 etc.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 349703
    04-27-15 06:37 AM
    What do you think of this leaked OS so far. I really want to jump ship and test if the double letter is still there but I'm just concern it's too new and might crash too often.
    I've been using the leaked 10.3.2.500 and it's quite good, in general. There are a few minor bugs but nothing major. However, as I posted earlier in this thread, it was after loading this leak that I first experienced double typing -- only the letter 'e' -- on my Passport. That doesn't prove it's an OS issue. Coincidences happen. But it does seem to indicate that this leaked OS doesn't fix the issue on a device that already has it.

Note that if you load this leak, you can't roll back. So don't do it unless you're willing to live with the consequences. I don't even know if BlackBerry would honor the warranty on a phone with a leaked OS.

I'm hoping another 10.3.2 leak appears soon, so I can see if there's any change in the double typing issue. It's not a constant thing on my Passport, but it's definitely there, enough to be annoying -- especially on a phone that's less than a year old.

I had double typing problems on my Q10, which I still own, and way back on the 9780. If this is how it's going to be, the Passport may be my last PKB phone.
    04-27-15 07:49 AM
    Hmmm... good point on the warranty. I'll keep using one Passport on the leak and the other on the official OS and see what happens. I'll try to spread out my typing on both to see if there are noticeable differences.

Also I'll try not to swipe up as much as I usually do.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 08:05 AM
    This double typing thing is getting old especially as one cannot anticipate when it will happen.

I've never had this issue with my Z30 which was a really good phone.

I'm hoping BlackBerry solves this soon. It's a shame.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 10:56 AM
    Disclaimer: I'm not an electronics engineer, in this or any past life.

I'm too lazy to dig up the thread, but in the Q10 discussion about this issue, someone who seemed to know what he was talking about explained about "debounce" routines in the software. This is needed for input involving physical switches, to ignore superfluous bounce contact when a key is pressed just once. The software sets a time window, during which any additional circuit closing is ignored.

If this is correct, and I have no idea if it is, it could be an "OS issue", in the sense that a changed OS setting could either cause or fix it. I can't think of any reason why such a setting would ever be changed as new versions of the OS are made, so I'm inclined to think the bounce problem is related to wear and tear on the hardware. But it's possible that increasing the debounce time window could fix it.

I also don't know whether this software is actually in the OS, as opposed to sitting in some separate ROM chip in the keyboard hardware itself, and if the latter, whether it can be changed from the OS. Maybe not, in which case this information would be of no use to anyone.
    04-27-15 11:39 AM
    You will not likely get anywhere with BlackBerry support. I've sent all sorts of error logs and screen shots over the years. Just seems like a deflection department.

Posted via CB10
    Sent one set of logs and they told me to send the device back for replacement.

Via CB10 from Scotland
    04-27-15 01:10 PM
    What do you think of this leaked OS so far. I really want to jump ship and test if the double letter is still there but I'm just concern it's too new and might crash too often. I did test the OS by going back to 10.3.0 and the double letter did go away but the camera software was horrifying so I'm back to 10.3.1.
    It's still present on 10.3.2.500.

Via CB10 from Scotland
    04-27-15 01:10 PM
    Oh crap...

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 01:50 PM
    It happens to me but only with the letter E

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    04-27-15 03:28 PM
    Now I'm back on PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 and it seems worse than 10.3.0

The most frustrating part other than the double type is that the Android player keeps asking for permissions.

II can't believe this is happening again. I love my BlackBerry buut this is getting stupid

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 04:19 PM
    Very interesting post re "debounce." The double typing issue seems complex with many, many variables. The interesting thing is that when I google "keyboard double typing" the first results that are returned are not BlackBerry related, rather there are topics for various laptops that have double typing problems. In one of those topics a poster speculated that the double typing problem in phones and laptops is hardware related and will continue until manufacturers stop making keyboards so slim.

Not that it happens to me a lot, but my own Q10 double types from time to time. I think the problem is two-fold: hardware/environment & software (debounce/cpu-overload). I would think if the problem was only hardware, the certain letters that do it would do it all the time, not just sometimes under some conditions. Usually it's the outside letters that do it often, but sometimes it has been inside letters that have never done it before. I've also noticed as someone else reported that it never does it in Remember when I'm typing long notes and often does it in more CPU-intense apps (BBM or when making replies on bloated websites' message boards, etc). Still, once in a while it will do it when making a Calendar entry or typing "task Grocerries."

I read somewhere that moisture might have some bearing on it. This seems logical to me. I've noticed that the keys can feel different (depress more lighter with less travel or more clickier from higher) on different days (e.g. more damp versus drier days) or days when the device is warm (sweatier/moister ?) from a lot of use or cold been sitting there with little use.

My own theories/analysis is that it's a combination of all of it: debounce and high cpu load (or overload) affected by damp versus dry days and my own idiosyncratic typing from day to day. Sometimes I type carefully and deliberately, slowly or fast, lightly or hard under the aforementioned extremely varying environmental conditions. I think these are all factors that have bearing on the problem -- if it even is a problem.
    siung6 likes this.
    04-27-15 04:59 PM
    Sent one set of logs and they told me to send the device back for replacement.

Via CB10 from Scotland
    Will find time to claim for my warranty then. Wish me luck.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 06:22 PM
    From my search Z30 owners have the double letters too but not noticeably bad enough to get frustrated like Passport, Q10 and Classic owners.

I made the move last night and tried the leaked 10.3.2. It's actually not bad. I don't see any new features but it runs really buttery smooth and haven't notice any bug yet.

I been using my phone constantly and I've only encountered one instance of double letters issue in the last 12 hours which isn't that bad because I was getting at least 20 double letters in a day.

I feel this is a processor issue not being able to keep up the pace of typing. It mostly happens when there is a lag in the OS, especially when the CPU is trying to think and a lag occur. OS 10.3.2 improves the performance which is probably why I'm getting less double letters now.

I've been using the leaked 10.3.2.500 and it's quite good, in general. There are a few minor bugs but nothing major. However, as I posted earlier in this thread, it was after loading this leak that I first experienced double typing -- only the letter 'e' -- on my Passport. That doesn't prove it's an OS issue. Coincidences happen. But it does seem to indicate that this leaked OS doesn't fix the issue on a device that already has it.

Note that if you load this leak, you can't roll back. So don't do it unless you're willing to live with the consequences. I don't even know if BlackBerry would honor the warranty on a phone with a leaked OS.

I'm hoping another 10.3.2 leak appears soon, so I can see if there's any change in the double typing issue. It's not a constant thing on my Passport, but it's definitely there, enough to be annoying -- especially on a phone that's less than a year old.

I had double typing problems on my Q10, which I still own, and way back on the 9780. If this is how it's going to be, the Passport may be my last PKB phone.
    04-27-15 07:22 PM
    Haven't had a double typing issue until I loaded the 10.3.2.500 os. Now it's double typing on random letters every so often. It's not that big of a deal, but definitely noticeable on a daily basis. I'm not sure if it's truly hardware related simply because it's so random and not a constant repeating problem. I can sit here for a long period of time trying to reproduce it and can't. Other times it just happens.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 03:18 AM
    I can sit here for a long period of time trying to reproduce it and can't. Other times it just happens.
    I can't reproduce it at will either. And like you, I didn't see it until I loaded 10.3.2.500. If there's some file in the OS that affects the debounce, we can hope it'll be fixed in the next release. But seeing that a lot of other people are having the problem on other OS versions, I'm not optimistic.

In the meantime, I'm back on my OnePlus One until the next leak drops. The double 'e's aren't the end of the world, but just enough to make the Passport less enjoyable to use.
    thymaster likes this.
    04-28-15 07:18 AM
    I been using my phone constantly and I've only encountered one instance of double letters issue in the last 12 hours which isn't that bad because I was getting at least 20 double letters in a day.

I feel this is a processor issue not being able to keep up the pace of typing. It mostly happens when there is a lag in the OS, especially when the CPU is trying to think and a lag occur. OS 10.3.2 improves the performance which is probably why I'm getting less double letters now.
    Be sure to update this topic and let us know if it starts doing it again.
    04-28-15 01:48 PM
133 ... 23456