Ha ha!

An article that talks about this thread

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2472...atter?uprof=45

He seems to prefer the idea of a lower price, but doesn't realistically think it will happen:

"Some thoughts on pricing

Another Crackberry thread considered the question of pricing for the Passport. In a nutshell, there are two schools of thought. First you have those who believe the Passport should be richly priced ($700+) to accurately reflect the phone's credentials and specs, align with competitor pricing, and appeal to the target buyer - affluent businesspeople who might paradoxically prefer a higher price, as it confirms the Passport as status symbol and keeps it out of the hands of the hoi polloi. This camp also doesn't see the Passport playing a major role in turning around the company, or that it even needs to for that matter. The opposing view is more strategic, arguing that a $499 price would undercut the competition in order to motivate fence sitters and unlock the device's potential to appeal to the masses, sell many millions of devices, and regain lost BlackBerry glory and market share. As much as I'd love to see BlackBerry spread the Passport gospel far and wide, I just don't see this happening, just a gut feel. The company seems intent on targeting doctors and other knowledge workers in specific industries, so I foresee a $699 price tag."

He has more to say on the pricing in the original article.

Posted via CB10
    dejanh and Mr4aces like this.
    09-04-14 07:48 PM
    Here is some info. It estimates that the Snapdragon 800 is sold in the $30s to low $40s (this is an estimate from April this year, and the 800 has been surpassed slightly in performance by the 801, and more by the 805, so it's price may no longer be that high).

Didn't see at what volume the author estimates you need to order to get that price though.

That would leave the screen, keyboard, chassis, and labour.

So it looks like the COG (as you suggest) could be around $100? I have no idea how much the screen (which is pretty high end) and keyboard (with its fancy touch-sensitivity) cost though. So I could be way off.

How Much Does Qualcomm Charge for a Snapdragon? (QCOM)

Of course, we're all just estimating.

Posted via CB10
    I just took a stab in the dark based on the little I know. I agree with you on what the list price should be. OP hoping for a Mercedes for Pinto doing understand manufacturing or what it takes to run a business.
    09-04-14 10:34 PM
    Why aggressive consumer pricing on the passport may backfire:

Lets face it, the Passport isn't going to woo the Apple fanboyz away from their gadget-lust and it will not appeal to the masses upon masses of Android conformists. The days of competing in youth consumer markets are over for Blackberry.

Blackberry is marketing the passport to high end niche industries and corporate enterprise. Thus there is more value in establishing the PASSPORT's reputation as a real high tech business device. Its specs and uniqueness already give it an edge. Thus I believe that the corporatocracy would want a product which is recognized as a more expensive option compared to an i-phone. It seems unorthodox business thinking, but something tells me its the right move.

Thoughts? Am I wrong in thinking expensive, is better, from a branding standpoint?
    Totally with you OP, or with your thread title for that matter. Pricing it above an iPhone woukd be too much, it should be equal to it or a tad lower. But the very point is that too aggressive pricing (let's say 500 bucks where other flagships are like 600-700) is the wrong way.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 05:32 AM
    With phones like the OnePlus One coming to the market (with GS5-like specs for $299), how can anyone afford to price a phone highly anymore? Surely BlackBerry can't.

Posted via CB10
    Except nobody in the world outside China who isn't an internet Android nerd gives a rats behind about something like a OnePlus One. It's a random chinese Android slab.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 05:37 AM
    A smartphone on average cost $150-250 to make.
    Definitely NOT. Please visit a business class before making such comments.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces and robert_in_la like this.
    09-05-14 05:37 AM
    Blackberry should adopt a revolutionary pricing strategy and sell the Passport by weight. Now, hear me out... Most new smartphones are getting thinner and lighter while the Passport is thicker and heavier which would point to better value by weight.

The ad could say, "The new iPhone costs $2000 per pound. The Passport costs $999 per pound. Blackberry is pound for pound the better value.
    09-05-14 06:44 AM
    Blackberry should adopt a revolutionary pricing strategy and sell the Passport by weight. Now, hear me out... Most new smartphones are getting thinner and lighter while the Passport is thicker and heavier which would point to better value by weight.

The ad could say, "The new iPhone costs $2000 per pound. The Passport costs $999 per pound. Blackberry is pound for pound the better value.
    -this-

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 07:30 AM

You need the be then COS
    Great way to start my day.
    09-05-14 08:42 AM

Love it! Hahahahaha

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 09:05 AM
    ...tough and tight balancing act for BB as for me am sold and are buying it at whatever price.
    tx ram likes this.
    09-07-14 03:07 PM
    ...tough and tight balancing act for BB as for me am sold and are buying it at whatever price.
    Fair enough.

See, in my case, I really want one, BUT price will be a significant matter.

Can I afford a higher price? Possibly (not really, no.)

However, just because I CAN afford a higher price, doesn't mean I want to spend that amount.

Furthermore, I want it when it's new, not when it's older and discounted. At that point I'll get whatever is next on the pipeline.

So yes, I want it to be a decent price, and I also want it new. An anathema for sure, but I am certain I am not the only one.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 03:51 PM
    I think BlackBerry needs more fans like you who in my opinion are willing to support the company by buying at launch and @ undiscounted price, like I did for the q5.
    I can't do it again, though.

Q5SQR100-3/10.2.1.3247
    09-08-14 05:21 AM
    I realize that the Passport is not primarily aimed at consumers, but I'm sure Amazon fans believed selling the Fire Phone at the same price as Apple and Samsung flagships was a great idea for many of the same reasons people believe it's a good idea to sell the Passport at a premium price.

Here are the results:

http://recode.net/2014/09/08/fire-sa...just-99-cents/

"The new pricing scheme is a big switch from when Amazon first introduced the phone in June, when it **spotlighted the fact that it was pricing the phone at a level comparable to the top-of-the-line iPhone and Android-based devices. A month after it was introduced, Amazon put it on sale for $199 with a two-year contract."

It's now 99 cents on a 2 year contract.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 07:58 PM
    It's gonna be priced at least 700 for sure (buyout price)

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 08:22 PM
    I realize that the Passport is not primarily aimed at consumers, but I'm sure Amazon fans believed selling the Fire Phone at the same price as Apple and Samsung flagships was a great idea for many of the same reasons people believe it's a good idea to sell the Passport at a premium price.

Here are the results:

http://recode.net/2014/09/08/fire-sa...just-99-cents/

"The new pricing scheme is a big switch from when Amazon first introduced the phone in June, when it **spotlighted the fact that it was pricing the phone at a level comparable to the top-of-the-line iPhone and Android-based devices. A month after it was introduced, Amazon put it on sale for $199 with a two-year contract."

It's now 99 cents on a 2 year contract.

Posted via CB10
    Perfect example. Not top of the line specs, a couple gimmicks, top of the line price, and it flopped. BB10 has shown this recipe to be a failure too. As soon as I heard the price I knew it was a failure. Kindles have done well because they have been losing money to push content. The Fire phone you are paying a premium to to give Amazon an a way to sell you goods?!?! Passport sadly doesn't have the specs, the apps, or the brand name right now to command a premium price and sell many devices.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    09-08-14 08:55 PM
    Blackberry is free to ask whatever it wants for the passport.. I can only control what I do.. and I know that I will wait till the price drops below the 400 dollars. Like the Z30 did.. I doubt that selling the passport at $400 dollars right away would make it sell more.. I don't know if my population sample is representative but I know lots of people with an iPhone using it for years and still knowing only the basic/surface of it... so to a certain extent they use the iPhone as a fashion item and to a greater extent because of the premium feel and looks and the easy way of control.. It would be too easy to say that they use it because they are herds.. ignoring something doesn't work in the mid and certainly not in the long term.. history has shown us that each time again...
    09-08-14 11:39 PM
    If its available from shop blackberry or less likely from a carrier for around $500.00 unlocked I will be the first in line to purchase one, otherwise I will have to wait until my contract term is up. I bought the Z10 at launch for 179.99 with a two year contract from Bell a 18 months later I did a early upgrade for $380.00 when the Z30 dropped to $0. At this point my early upgrade cost is $525 + the estimated $200 2 year term contract its getting a bit too expensive for me. lol
    bakron1 likes this.
    09-09-14 01:35 AM
    I an all in if they price the device at 500-600 US at the BlackBerry online store, but at 749.00 US, I an sorry folks but that is way too much for a device from a company who no longer has the market dominance they once had.

Factor in that Apple has the best customer and technical support through their Apple stores, the value just is not there. As much as I want to have a factory unlocked model on launch day, I will wait until the price comes down to reality.

Sent from my Lovely z30 on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1154)
    09-09-14 04:31 AM
    After waiting months for the BlackBerry 9900 to be released in the UK, it was the expensive pricing that made me spend 3 years on android.
    This is the first time in years that regular people are talking positively of BlackBerry, and the company need to get this spot on.
    BB10 is fantastic and a great opportunity to get back in the game.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 05:22 AM
    Unfortunately, I think we all know that the Passport is going to be priced in line, or higher than, the Galaxy S5 launch price and the iPhone 6 launch price.

Their apparent policy of matching the price of flagships from Samsung and Apple has only failed every single time. Why would they change this winning strategy?

I mean, BlackBerry is in the same position as Apple and Samsung with huge sales and a popular brand. Why shouldn't they use the same pricing strategy as Apple or Samsung?

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 06:48 AM
    Unfortunately, I think we all know that the Passport is going to be priced in line, or higher than, the Galaxy S5 launch price and the iPhone 6 launch price.

Posted via CB10
    Actually we all know that Passport will be priced at 650, or maybe 599.

New iPhone 6, as we know as well, will be more expensive that iPhone 5s.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 07:17 AM
    Actually we all know that Passport will be priced at 650, or maybe 599.

New iPhone 6, as we know as well, will be more expensive that iPhone 5s.

Posted via CB10
    I think 699 on the low end. Will probably be in the 799 range.

But who knows, may Chen will finally make BlackBerry price strategically for growth instead of pricing for short term margins.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 08:00 AM
    Chen's been doing things right, and this is his first flagship phone from BB. I have confidence that he'll have things under control. He's done enough different in the short time he's had--he recognizes BB's internal issues. He's made BBRY one of the hot stocks of the summer. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for another three weeks.

I have to say, though, such a late Passport launch date is fueling the fires of uncertainty on this board.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 08:04 AM
    Chen's been doing things right, and this is his first flagship phone from BB. I have confidence that he'll have things under control. He's done enough different in the short time he's had--he recognizes BB's internal issues. He's made BBRY one of the hot stocks of the summer. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for another three weeks.

I have to say, though, such a late Passport launch date is fueling the fires of uncertainty on this board.

Posted via CB10
    I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but am definitely not counting on it. Though, if a competitive BB10 flagship price is ever gonna happen, I do think Chen would be the guy to do it.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 08:14 AM
    I think the cat is of the box. Prices are confirmed in some regions. Check out other threads in the forum. In Austria it's for around 570? I believe.

We all love a great comeback!
    09-09-14 09:48 AM
192 ... 5678