01-12-15 09:57 PM
43 12
tools
    I see now this can be a problem... so better not keep it in a jeans pocket.

Time to buy a small bag to carry around, and keep the phone in that, like my wife does with her phone and wallet.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 06:41 AM
    This bad boy has to be in a holster.
    01-11-15 10:53 AM
    Or a man purse.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 11:04 AM
    My pp always warps(twists) like this almost every few days, and I simply twist back to normal with my bear hands and minimal force.

I wear loose formal pants for my work(clinic), but I have to fully bend my knees so many times a day to help patients moving. I see that there is going to be some force applied to the phone by my thigh and pants time to time depending the posture that I take. But it's not like I wear jeans or tight pants at any other ways.. and it never happened to my other phones including all other android phablet, iphone, and old blackberries....

Seriously this phone twists way too easy for nothing.. and if you guys still do not want to believe it, try it for yourself with very minimal force. Actually my three year old son twisted passport one time in a minute while he plays. I quickly twisted back the phone, and I never let my son to play with it again.... instead I gave my galaxy note 3 to him to play with ever since then.

Someone will say that its not a problem since I can always recover the shape back very easily, but seriously? It will eventually twist too many times to recover the original shape some day. I don't see myself using this phone for several years for this reason.

I'll probably get the next passport as soon as it comes out.

Posted via CB10
    It is twisting so easily now because it is a steel frame. Once metal bends a certain way, it will ALWAYS bend easier in that same direction. Keep bending and straightening over and over like that and eventually you are going to crack the frame. If it is already to the point where a 3yo can bend it by hand, you are well on your way there.

Being so much wider then most phones, there is a lot more leverage available in your pocket while biking/constantly kneeling, etc and if you fit in as one of those cases you definitely should not be keeping a phone that wide in your pocket.

I work on my feet all day and have always kept mine in my front pocket since release(mine was the first shipment batch so I've had it as long as possible) and it is still perfectly flat. I wear fairly baggy Khakis, but my normal fit jeans aren't a problem either because I'm not riding a bike or doing Yoga with it stretched across my thigh lol.
    01-11-15 11:44 AM
    Send a message to Blackberry about it. Chen himself challenged anyone to bend the phone when in reality it looks like it bends (from the videos i've seen) easily if you torque it instead of a straight up bend. I've ordered another one to give it another shot because I don't think I was fair with it the first time I had one but I still had build quality issues with my first one. The screen was separating from the body and I'd have to press it back down to make it flush from time to time.
    01-11-15 12:54 PM
    I've discussed the structural issues with the BlackBerry Service Delivery Partner Manager. She didn't have much to say on the matter but did indicate that she will pass on the feedback to higher ups. The device is generally great, but the overall quality does leave much to be desired. Definitely the device is majorly susceptible to being torqued around the Y axis, even with relatively minimal stress. If the Passport had even near the shipping volumes of iPhone or Galaxy series, I'm pretty sure BlackBerry would eventually be forced into a recall situation. As it stands, the shipping volumes are so low that you can expect for BlackBerry to handle all of these issues as one-offs.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 01:32 PM
    After watching this I'm beginning to think that it wouldn't bend in your pocket:

01-11-15 06:02 PM
    I blame Apple for this. They started the "bend" trend.

Posted from an ME173X
    Well there has def. been an increase of people claiming it. I don't doubt it can happen but I find it odd the level of Passport users claiming it, there was never this many on any other device by BlackBerry that I can recall. Apple and John Chen are to blame lol.
    01-11-15 07:00 PM
    Well there has def. been an increase of people claiming it. I don't doubt it can happen but I find it odd the level of Passport users claiming it, there was never this many on any other device by BlackBerry that I can recall. Apple and John Chen are to blame lol.
    There's never been another BB phone this big/wide. It's the exact same reason Apple has a problem with the 6+ - the frame is strong enough for a smaller phone, but when you increase the height/width, you have a lot more leverage available, and if you don't up-size the frame or change the material, then you can now easily bend the frame when the same design of shorter length would not reasonably be bendable.

Further, because of the Passport's size and especially width, there's a much greater chance that a phone in a front pocket is going to get twisted/torqued if a person kneels down or raises their leg and tightens up their pants at the thigh. Now that person's pants are trying to follow the curve of the leg, but there's a big rectangle sticking out, and the pants will try to bend that rectangle (usually along the Y-axis) to match the curve of the leg. Tighter pants will tend to be worse.

From a mechanical design standpoint, this is all very obvious and predictable, and I'm quite surprised that neither Apple nor BB took measures to prevent it. I know that Samsung and LG certainly did when they released their 6"+ phones several years earlier.
    dejanh and AllanQuatermain like this.
    01-11-15 09:05 PM
    try to bend it more with as much force as you can. I would like to see a video. Just curious :P
    01-11-15 09:49 PM
    I use a backpack when I bike and put my phone in it. Even when I'm just walking it put it in my purse. That huge phone couldn't fit anywhere in any of my pockets.
    01-11-15 11:34 PM
    The top frame got two weak points, at the power button and at the phone jack, where the frame does not go straight but is bridged inside. I guess those are where it could be bent or twisted.
    01-12-15 01:03 AM
    Depends on how tight your pants are.
    01-12-15 01:07 AM
    There's never been another BB phone this big/wide. It's the exact same reason Apple has a problem with the 6+ - the frame is strong enough for a smaller phone, but when you increase the height/width, you have a lot more leverage available, and if you don't up-size the frame or change the material, then you can now easily bend the frame when the same design of shorter length would not reasonably be bendable.

Further, because of the Passport's size and especially width, there's a much greater chance that a phone in a front pocket is going to get twisted/torqued if a person kneels down or raises their leg and tightens up their pants at the thigh. Now that person's pants are trying to follow the curve of the leg, but there's a big rectangle sticking out, and the pants will try to bend that rectangle (usually along the Y-axis) to match the curve of the leg. Tighter pants will tend to be worse.

From a mechanical design standpoint, this is all very obvious and predictable, and I'm quite surprised that neither Apple nor BB took measures to prevent it. I know that Samsung and LG certainly did when they released their 6"+ phones several years earlier.
    So what you're saying is skinny jeans are to blame. Got it.

There's Breaking Bad gif needed in this thread, but it's not appropriate.
    01-12-15 01:57 AM
    So what you're saying is skinny jeans are to blame. Got it.

There's Breaking Bad gif needed in this thread, but it's not appropriate.
    And more's the pity.
    01-12-15 11:10 AM
    Oh man I gave Apple fans so much crap about bendable phones...
    And no we have our own Bendgate... wtf.

Supporting the people's struggle worldwide via my STA 100-5, Z30.
    01-12-15 11:24 AM

Same here. I can't help but laugh at it though. At the end of the day all of these companies are more or less the same.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 12:35 PM

It's Twistgate, mate. It just twists.
    01-12-15 09:57 PM
43 12