That sounds really terrible,I returned mine because of screen lifting and the experience was pretty good but I told them I frequented CB quite a bit and the issue was known to the blog site,but then again it was 6 months ago,stick to your guns and get BB to accept they have a problem with documented evidence from this site,if you have to.Good luck.
    08-20-15 06:30 AM
    After collecting the phone today, they've also claimed that even if it wasn't due to physical damage, the unit is unwarrantable due to liquid ingress around the USB port. This is the photo they've included as evidence:

Attachment 367604

According to them, if there's any evidence of liquid ingress, the phone is unwarrantable - even if there's no evidence the liquid ingress is related to the fault being sought to have rectified under warranty. In this case, the USB port works fine, I can't see any evidence of liquid ingress from their photo, and I can't work out how it's related to the screen defect. But to Optus, it's an automatic "get out of jail free" card.
    I feel for you.

I'm dealing with an almost identical situation with Bell here in Canada. There is no proof that my Passport's damage is due to liquid, but Bell has washed their grimy, fraudulent hands of my passport and BlackBerry refuses to help. It's a scam by both the carriers and BlackBerry and the consumer has no recourse.

In my specific case, Bell is not following the BlackBerry warranty and BlackBerry doesn't care.

I'm extremely bitter at my carrier and at BlackBerry over this.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30
    Peter Fan likes this.
    08-20-15 07:23 AM
    someone should launch a class action suit against BB,WTF,they know there is a problem with the screen lifting,pay up.
    08-20-15 07:29 AM
    someone should launch a class action suit against BB,WTF,they know there is a problem with the screen lifting,pay up.
    The problem with that is use of the product.
    Where one places it.
    Example, back pocket....and you sit on it. Then user at fault.
    Front pocket and you sit down with it at the bending point of your legs. User at fault
    This can cause a twist in the frame of the phone. And actually any phone. It's just how much consideration for that was taken when designing the phone.

Why would it be user fault?
    Because the phone is designed to be a phone and not designed to have weight smashing upon it.
    It would be similar to taking a stack of books and placing them on top of the phone. It sounds silly, but same concept.
    They can make and design the phone for its intended use. But it's the responsibility of the user to treat and use it as such. Sitting on or applying great pressure to a phone is not the intended use of the phone and there for doesn't necessarily need to be taken into consideration when designing and producing.

Someone would have to fight the over the intended use of the phone before they could proceed onto the fight of the phones being faulty.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" from Adam Savage
    zombiecupcake likes this.
    08-20-15 09:03 AM
    This can cause a twist in the frame of the phone. And actually any phone. It's just how much consideration for that was taken when designing the phone.
    You make a good point, but ultimately a relatively large number of people are experiencing this issue, relative to the proportion of people who are using other makes and models of phones. This suggests that it's a result of inadequate design.

BlackBerry don't publish specifications on the maximum amount of torsional force the chassis can withstand without incurring plastic deformation, nor the amount of lateral force it can withstand. In the absence of such specification, could on not safely assume that a phone can go in a pocket as is possible with every other phone on the market?

For so many people to be having the same problem, in the exact same place, is a sign that the product isn't fit for the way consumers are using it.
    08-20-15 09:21 AM
    BlackBerry don't publish specifications on the maximum amount of torsional force the chassis can withstand without incurring plastic deformation, nor the amount of lateral force it can withstand. In the absence of such specification, could on not safely assume that a phone can go in a pocket as is possible with every other phone on the market?

I'm not sure such a spec could be reasonably interpreted by majority of consumers. The passport is a relatively fragile piece of technology. In interactions with various folks, it doesn't seem to be more fragile than other devices of similar size. The consumer demand for a slim and stylish device has resulted in compromise to its ability to survive the knocks of life.

The carrier focused (or 3rd party) sales and support model also does damage to the brand when the consumer is treated badly and disappointed with the experience. It's not the seller, but the base brand that is covered with muck that incompetent support staff spews.

Posted on my Passport to the future
    08-20-15 10:12 AM
    Had mine since last Sept, still working great and no problems.
    08-20-15 10:43 AM
    I should clarify that while I feel for the op and my atrocious carrier is denying my warranty claim, my issue isn't with the screen lift. My cell radio is malfunctioning.

DrWormBoy likes this.
    08-20-15 11:07 AM
    I got like 20 units from Clove for my friends. Two of the 20 Passports have the issue. And they are well covered by Clove's warranty. Just for your information.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 11:12 AM
    I don't have any photos of the screen issue as I didn't take any prior to sending it away and Optus still have my phone. Like others, it's a lift of the screen in the bottom-right corner of about 1-2mm above the bezel.

I have contacted BlackBerry Canada and they referred me to my carrier and were unwilling to help.

I have showed Optus the threads here and elsewhere, and they refuse to listen citing that my warranty is void. That being said, Optus have generally provided some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Their incompetence knows no bounds: from telling me that I must have purchased the phone from Telstra because they never sold it, to having to tell their complaints department how to find my repair details via Google after they insisted the reference number I gave them was incorrect.

BlackBerry seems to have completely abandoned the Australian market, and when issues arrive there is no one to take responsibility.
    The last time I encountered someone who wouldn't listen to me (money disappeared out of my bank deposit after I handed it over at the bank) my solution was a well written email to The Better Business Bureau who, on my behalf, called the bank daily for a month and a half until my money reappeared in my bank account. If you have such a service, I recommend contacting them to argue on your behalf.

Aside from that, if you purchased the phone with a credit card, you will probably have a warranty with that card. You should contact them and see if you have any such warranty.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    08-20-15 11:18 AM
    Sorry to hear about your frustrations.

I bought my Passport from Amazon while on a trip in the US and brought it home to Sweden. Experienced a minor screen lift in the bottom right corner after torqueing the phone by sitting on it.

Did not want to bother with warranty service from overseas, so I levered the screen up a bit with a straight pin and applied super glue underneath and on the frame with another pin. Torqued the phone back to true and clamped the screen down overnight with two binder clips using a credit card to protect the screen.

Problem solved.

Posted from my Passport
    nick13b likes this.
    08-20-15 03:15 PM
    I would deff try the fix mentioned in the post above me than go through warranty... I have read quite a few time people saying they fixed it themselves.... I wouldn't want to risk losing a phone you are happy with(other than the lifting).

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 03:40 PM
    I've been a PP user since October and just a few hours ago I noticed a lift on the right side of the screen. I've already contacted BBHelp but the fact that they've refused to help you when you're in Australia really discourages me since I live in the Middle East.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 04:33 PM
    Thanks all for your helpful suggestions and empathy!

I'm really not sure what I'm going to do at this stage. I'm tending towards simply taking it apart and fixing it myself. Alternatively, I may take it to court, but that means that it may be six months before I get an outcome - not good for a phone purchased in January!

The saddest part about this is that I no longer feel I can rely on BlackBerry, nor do I feel like I can recommend them to friends and family. In the past, Telstra have provided fantastic service with BlackBerry, but it looks like they won't be carrying them for much longer.

In the meantime, if you all want to feel free to call or email the store in question...

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 09:38 PM

The saddest part about this is that I no longer feel I can rely on BlackBerry, nor do I feel like I can recommend them to friends and family. In the past, Telstra have provided fantastic service with BlackBerry, but it looks like they won't be carrying them for much longer.
    That's a major problem for me too. I love bb10. I've never owned a smartphone other than BlackBerry. But now I feel betrayed by them with nowhere to turn.

DrWormBoy likes this.
    08-20-15 09:57 PM
    I don't have any photos of the screen issue as I didn't take any prior to sending it away and Optus still have my phone. Like others, it's a lift of the screen in the bottom-right corner of about 1-2mm above the bezel.
    I just started reading this thread and have quite a few posts to go, but you sir, rolled over and let them give it to you far to easy.

Next time, put up a fight, especially since you are in the right.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    08-20-15 10:01 PM
    I had a totally different experience. I purchased my BlackBerry from Shop BlackBerry and also experienced the screen lift in the right corner. I contacted BlackBerry and they gave me 2 options. The also told me this was a known issue. Option 1 send my passport in for evaluation and repair. If deemed not a warranty issue I would be charged for the repair and get my original device back. Option 2: They send a replacement device before I send my device in for evaluation. If not a warranty issue I would get billed for the repair. I went with option 2. When I received the replacement device I set it up, but the craziest thing happens. Before packing up my original device for warranty, I dropped is and cracked the screen on the right side. I emailed BlackBerry telling them the situation and was told this
    "A technician will run some test and diagnostics on your device to determine if damage is covered or not for the BlackBerry Limited Warranty; but most likely (According to my experience) you will need to take care of the repair cost ($260.00 plus taxes)"
    My response to this was this
    "‎OK thank you. Just please keep in mind that the area the screen broke is the same area where the screen was lifting. This makes me feel that the integrity of the glass was compromise due to the screen not being securely fastened like it should have been. *Please consider this when making your decision.*"
    A few days after sending the device I got this response.

"I have received confirmation from the repair center, your device has been verified, so we have release the hold amount on your credit card."

Needless to say, I was relieved.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 10:28 PM
    I just started reading this thread and have quite a few posts to go, but you sir, rolled over and let them give it to you far to easy.

Next time, put up a fight, especially since you are in the right.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    Do you have any suggestions? I have written complaints to both Optus and BlackBerry. I have been to the store countless times. I have threatened legal action. I have written to Consumer Affairs (state) and the ACCC (Federal) and both agree I have a case, however they concede that ultimately they are not an enforcement agency and they can only suggest I take it to court. Consumer Affairs have spoken to Optus. I have written to BlackBerry Canada with no response. I have phoned BlackBerry US and been told I need to speak to my local BlackBerry office, which doesn't appear to exist any longer. (seriously, if anyone has a contact for BlackBerry Australia, I'm all ears).

The crazy thing is, it doesn't look like Optus even have any replacement stock available, so even if I succeed, the best I can do is get my money back.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 10:48 PM
    Any TV or newspaper Ombudsmen? Sometimes they can get action. Do you have written correspondence back from those agencies. Mail a copy to both carrier and BB.

Pay some kid to carry a picket sign outside their store!!!!

Good luck
    int19 likes this.
    08-20-15 11:06 PM
    This is the back of the screen. I believe the glue is only on the bit of black glass area.

Don't buy a Passport - Screen Lift = World of Hurt & No Warranty-ppscreen-back.jpg
    int19 and Taigatrommel like this.
    08-21-15 01:48 AM
    Int 19
    Try BlackBerry store in Lane Cove,Sydney. They may be able to help you with repair but I dont think they are part of BlackBerry Australia. http://www.google.com.au/url?q=http:...vHb3yiSSfQ7mNQ
    Here's a link to the BlackBerry Australia office :
    http://australia.customerservice1800...t-phone-number
    Hope this helps.
    Also I sent you an invite via private message to join our Aussie BBM group if you're interested

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    int19 likes this.
    08-21-15 07:32 AM
    I usually have no issues when I contact BlackBerry Customer Service. I'm in the States but still no issues with them. Ive had them overnight me a device after having a faulty Sim Card Reader on my Original White Passport. Also never had the screen lift issue yet (Knock on Wood)
    08-21-15 07:43 AM
    Ozfork you are a legend. I will be ringing that number, first thing Monday morning, for my problem with BlackBerry. Similar situation to OP, but Optus have been great and BlackBerry have been sorely lacking.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 07:44 AM
    OP I sympathize with you but your title for this thread is way over the top. Your experience, I'm afraid, is not universal; for the records, I have not had any major issues with BBs.
    08-21-15 07:49 AM
    Ozfork you are a legend. I will be ringing that number, first thing Monday morning, for my problem with BlackBerry. Similar situation to OP, but Optus have been great and BlackBerry have been sorely lacking.

Posted via CB10
    Glad I could help mate

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    08-21-15 08:21 AM
155 1234 ...