Can you be more specific with screen lifting issue ?

I just bought an OG Passport on Ebay and it has some asymmetric aspect. But it has been the same with my two previous Q10.
    09-15-15 10:40 AM

I just bought an OG Passport on Ebay and it has some asymmetric aspect. But it has been the same with my two previous Q10.
    on my passport i could see the light coming from under the screen when looking at it from the side
    09-15-15 10:43 AM

I don't own a Passport yet, but I believe the screen lifting issue is when the screen is literally delaminating from the device. The glass part of the screen may become protruded and have an edge or corner sticking out. Using the screen with the lights off may produce some light along the edges where there is a gap between the screen and the device.
    09-15-15 10:47 AM
    Okay, I see. This isn't the problem I have. Can't believe it happens on such a high-priced device.
    09-15-15 11:11 AM
    Blackberry's twitter account is no use either.... I had a problem with the 3G radio working with my first passport in the end they just stopped replying to me which I found extremely rude.

To top that, no mobile repair shops would attempt a repair with the thought of voiding my warranty.

The guy I bought it off amazon told me to claim on the warranty... to which I couldn't find a single phone number/email or postal address to contact.

In the end, I had to go through Amazon customer support to aid me getting a refund from the seller.

Had similar problems when my Z30 turned off and never came back on again, however carphone warehouse helped me massively by claiming on my warranty and sending it off to blackberry for repair (they just gave me a new device in the end)

I've had my current passport for around 9 months now with no problems other than a slight burn/white mark in the screen.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 11:39 AM
    Just pulled the trigger on a Passport SE... I'll be watching out for these screen lift issues. I can be pretty picky about build quality.
    I never used any Apple products before, but I think their build quality is very good.
    The build quality is good... they're just ridiculously fragile without cases / extra protection (paint chips, dints from drops etc)

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 11:49 AM
    The build quality is good... they're just ridiculously fragile without cases / extra protection (paint chips, dints from drops etc)

Posted via CB10
    The Passport SE looks too good for me to put a case on. I'll just have to be extra careful.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 12:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    They are not ridiculously fragile without cases for me. I had no problem putting the phone on the table like an old Nokia every single day for a year. No visible damages. The only problem is the stiffness of the frame and the glue they use which causes the screen lift problem I think.

The Passport is like a tank with a hatch that won't close completely.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 01:12 PM
    They are not ridiculously fragile without cases for me. I had no problem putting the phone on the table like an old Nokia every single day for a year. No visible damages. The only problem is the stiffness of the frame and the glue they use which causes the screen lift problem I think.

Posted via CB10
    Which version of Passport are you using?
    I would definitely say the Passport SE is more susceptible to cosmetic damage than the original Black Passport.
    (Long-term durability for painted plastic can be an issue).
    09-15-15 01:30 PM
    Which version of Passport are you using?
    I would definitely say the Passport SE is more susceptible to cosmetic damage than the original Black Passport.
    (Long-term durability for painted plastic can be an issue).
    Oooh yes, sorry I didn't realize you were talking about the SE. I am using the first Passport and will get the SE next month. I was worried about the SE being a bit vulnerable for little damages, but the pure grace of the SE will let me handle it with extra care (I will also get a flip case for outdoor trips).

It's a shame that this extremely luxurious device has such a avoidable flaw. Good thing that it is a known issue and warranty cases are no problem if the phone is in overall good conditions.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 02:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm talking about apple devices, have an ipod touch & have had a few iphones over the years, but not one looks as in good condition as my passport does right now.
    However I do have a few dints on my metal sides from huge drops

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 03:17 PM
    The Passport SE looks too good for me to put a case on. I'll just have to be extra careful.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry I was talking about the build quality of apple devices ( should have been more clear)

The passport shouldn't have a problem cosmetically

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 03:19 PM
    2 weeks ago I send my "Passport" to repair (Screen lift), after 10 days I get a new one.

I live in The Netherlands, my Passport was 1 years old.
    09-15-15 05:58 PM
    What?! Is that confirmed in any way? My german Passport had the same problem.

Posted via CB10
    I think it all comes from the same factory. If they used less quality you'd probably see a difference in weight.

"Got here with my Diplomatic Passport"
    09-15-15 07:38 PM
    BS all-day 8 months and counting nothing, cannot have a result of screen lifting without knowing the cause. Multiple tests have debunked all other claims, now we know how apple and Google are spending marketing money... by spreading negative propaganda on their competitors lol

@ZEDTROSPEKTIV Via BlackBerry Passport, previous Z10, Bold 9790, Bold 9700, Curve 3G, Curve 8250 (1st BB)
    09-16-15 12:21 AM
    Today I decided to try and get a better understanding of what causes the screen to separate from the frame on the Passport. There's been many theories postulated on the web, but I wanted to investigate for myself. To that end, I completely disassembled my Passport to better understand its construction.

Firstly, the Passport overall is very well constructed. Internally, its chassis is predominantly magnesium alloy. It is easy to disassemble and reassemble, and the battery is relatively easy to access.

The stainless steel frame is secured to the LCD module and the PCB by around six screws. In my case, where the screen had begun to lift in the bottom-right corner, the screw was barely long enough (perhaps 1mm) to reach through the PCB module, through the frame and into the soft magnesium alloy thread of the LCD module. Presumably, through twisting of the frame, this created sufficient tension on the thread for it to strip, causing the LCD to lift.

The bottom-right corner appears to be most susceptible to this, because of where the screw is located relative to the other anchor points.

This could be easily fixed by a small design change that used a longer screw for this purpose. Indeed, the thread in the LCD module for the screw is deeper than the screw utilises. Although the frame is very strong, it is susceptible to twisting due to torque applied on opposite corners, and it appears on a small amount of torque is required to cause the screw to fail.

Given the number of users that have experienced this, I still believe it is a design flaw that needs remediation. However, it is not a sign (in my opinion) of an overall low quality of workmanship or materials in the Passport.

Also interestingly, although the BlackBerry authorised service centre initially declined warranty on my device due to liquid ingress, there was absolutely no sign of liquid ingress internally nor on the USB port itself. In fact, the USB port is well isolated from the critical electronics, so any mild ingression here (due to rain or weather) should not cause significant issues beyond the functionality of the port itself.
    BlackBerry should hire someone like you...

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 03:00 AM
    Don't but a Passport he says? I just did

Posted via CB10
    TopFit likes this.
    09-16-15 08:11 AM
    i have an AT&T passport and after a few days of feeling the lift, its now visible
    09-21-15 01:37 PM
    No screen lift but I have issues with the device self restarting.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 06:38 PM
    My OG Passport is great. If I'm wearing my jacket, it goes in the jackets sizable pocket, no chances of bending. I often wear a backpack, which has ample room to store 100 Passport devices, if that was needed, again no chances of bending. HA! Although people make fun of holsters, they're technically the best way to carry any smartphone, not only because it holds the device with easy access (like an old West gun fighter, with a BlackBerry instead of a weapon), but also because it keeps the device the proper distance away from your body's flesh, it is a radio with a SAR rating. It is recommended in the safety information to use a holster.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 07:21 PM
    Hey Dude,

Salvus app solutions is an IT Services company ?

Thanks
    09-24-15 04:38 AM
    so i called att and they agreed it was a defect. they directed me to a device shop downtown pittsburgh however, they didnt stock the device so they called customer service back and ordered the phone through them. should be arriving saturday.
    09-24-15 10:01 AM
    My OG Passport is great. If I'm wearing my jacket, it goes in the jackets sizable pocket, no chances of bending. I often wear a backpack, which has ample room to store 100 Passport devices, if that was needed, again no chances of bending. HA! Although people make fun of holsters, they're technically the best way to carry any smartphone, not only because it holds the device with easy access (like an old West gun fighter, with a BlackBerry instead of a weapon), but also because it keeps the device the proper distance away from your body's flesh, it is a radio with a SAR rating. It is recommended in the safety information to use a holster.

Posted via CB10
    Would keeping the phone in a thin jacket/sweater pocket be sufficient in keeping the phone away from the body?
    09-24-15 10:19 AM
    I just got screen lift on my passport. Not impressed with this, but I have stuck it down with superglue for now, end of problem.
    09-24-15 12:47 PM
    Hey Dude,

Salvus app solutions is an IT Services company ?

Thanks
    Yes, do you wanna some services from them ?
    09-25-15 02:13 AM
155 ... 4567