No, it's not unsuitable for pockets. Like all phones and consumer electronic devices in general it's unsuitable for having excessive pressure repeatedly applied to opposite corners.

Posted via Passport. It's hip to be square.
    Define "excessive pressure".

Also, can you please clarify how much vibration it can withstand? If I place the Passport in the centre console of my car, will damage ensue?

Posted via CB10
    Me2 likes this.
    08-22-15 09:55 AM
    Passport for ten months and no issues. Even dropped it on its face.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 11:08 AM
    Passport for ten months and no issues. Even dropped it on its face.

Posted via CB10
    Cool, that's great news. I hope it doesn't become a problem for you.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 11:12 AM
    ​Closed for review!
    08-22-15 02:56 PM
    [WARN]I've deleted the posts where the bickering was taking place, and where they were quoted.

It's OK to discuss, debate, and disagree. But do so in a civil manner. NO personal comments, please.[/WARN]

/Open
    FF22 likes this.
    08-22-15 03:20 PM
    I haven't had screen lift issues but I started to experience sporadic double typing which I am certain it's a software issue. Generally speaking the physical design is the best than any other phone but the software is not good at all. Besides the hub, it lacks important things for me such as call blocking, the calendar doesn't allow me to add birthdays, name days etc and overall it's very buggy. I know that you can get 3rd party apps to do things but that's not the point. In reality without the android apps I would have returned the phone from the first month. People don't like the idea of an android handset, but the reality is that if blackberry is going to remain a consumer product it has to go down the conventional route. I am highlighting consumer because the normal person that buys a smartphone doesn't know or care about the security of blackberry and the enterprise functions it offers.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 05:07 PM
    Today I decided to try and get a better understanding of what causes the screen to separate from the frame on the Passport. There's been many theories postulated on the web, but I wanted to investigate for myself. To that end, I completely disassembled my Passport to better understand its construction.

Firstly, the Passport overall is very well constructed. Internally, its chassis is predominantly magnesium alloy. It is easy to disassemble and reassemble, and the battery is relatively easy to access.

The stainless steel frame is secured to the LCD module and the PCB by around six screws. In my case, where the screen had begun to lift in the bottom-right corner, the screw was barely long enough (perhaps 1mm) to reach through the PCB module, through the frame and into the soft magnesium alloy thread of the LCD module. Presumably, through twisting of the frame, this created sufficient tension on the thread for it to strip, causing the LCD to lift.

The bottom-right corner appears to be most susceptible to this, because of where the screw is located relative to the other anchor points.

This could be easily fixed by a small design change that used a longer screw for this purpose. Indeed, the thread in the LCD module for the screw is deeper than the screw utilises. Although the frame is very strong, it is susceptible to twisting due to torque applied on opposite corners, and it appears on a small amount of torque is required to cause the screw to fail.

Given the number of users that have experienced this, I still believe it is a design flaw that needs remediation. However, it is not a sign (in my opinion) of an overall low quality of workmanship or materials in the Passport.

Also interestingly, although the BlackBerry authorised service centre initially declined warranty on my device due to liquid ingress, there was absolutely no sign of liquid ingress internally nor on the USB port itself. In fact, the USB port is well isolated from the critical electronics, so any mild ingression here (due to rain or weather) should not cause significant issues beyond the functionality of the port itself.
    08-23-15 04:49 AM
    Today I decided to try and get a better understanding of what causes the screen to separate from the frame on the Passport. There's been many theories postulated on the web, but I wanted to investigate for myself. To that end, I completely disassembled my Passport to better understand its construction.

Firstly, the Passport overall is very well constructed. Internally, its chassis is predominantly magnesium alloy. It is easy to disassemble and reassemble, and the battery is relatively easy to access.

The stainless steel frame is secured to the LCD module and the PCB by around six screws. In my case, where the screen had begun to lift in the bottom-right corner, the screw was barely long enough (perhaps 1mm) to reach through the PCB module, through the frame and into the soft magnesium alloy thread of the LCD module. Presumably, through twisting of the frame, this created sufficient tension on the thread for it to strip, causing the LCD to lift.

The bottom-right corner appears to be most susceptible to this, because of where the screw is located relative to the other anchor points.

This could be easily fixed by a small design change that used a longer screw for this purpose. Indeed, the thread in the LCD module for the screw is deeper than the screw utilises. Although the frame is very strong, it is susceptible to twisting due to torque applied on opposite corners, and it appears on a small amount of torque is required to cause the screw to fail.

Given the number of users that have experienced this, I still believe it is a design flaw that needs remediation. However, it is not a sign (in my opinion) of an overall low quality of workmanship or materials in the Passport.

Also interestingly, although the BlackBerry authorised service centre initially declined warranty on my device due to liquid ingress, there was absolutely no sign of liquid ingress internally nor on the USB port itself. In fact, the USB port is well isolated from the critical electronics, so any mild ingression here (due to rain or weather) should not cause significant issues beyond the functionality of the port itself.
    I think you've voided any warranty now! So is the battery easily replaceable?

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    08-23-15 07:17 AM
    I think you've voided any warranty now! So is the battery easily replaceable?

I think you're right, but after six weeks and two repair assessments, I had kinda given up on warranty!

The battery isn't easily user replaceable, as far as I can see, on account of the fact it's glued to the LCD module chassis. It also has a big warning that replacing the battery will void your warranty - as if having it in as many bits as is required to read the warning hasn't already done that!

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    08-23-15 08:19 AM
    I think you're right, but after six weeks and two repair assessments, I had kinda given up on warranty!

The battery isn't easily user replaceable, as far as I can see, on account of the fact it's glued to the LCD module chassis. It also has a big warning that replacing the battery will void your warranty - as if having it in as many bits as is required to read the warning hasn't already done that!

Warning: You have entered a quick sand bog!!! (gulp....., gurgle....)

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 06:18 PM
    To Ozfork, I rang the numbers that you gave over the weekend. The one to Sydney, I left a message and am still waiting for a reply. I then rang a 1800 number and spoke to Blackberry customer service, where I was politely told they couldn't do anything, as their is an agreement between Optus and them. I then DM'D Optus on Twitter, who said they will get back to me tomorrow. Hopefully I get a resolution by then. Don't know what to do if I get a negative response. Sigh.....

Posted via CB10
    anon(4067838) likes this.
    08-24-15 06:19 AM
    To Ozfork, I rang the numbers that you gave over the weekend. The one to Sydney, I left a message and am still waiting for a reply. I then rang a 1800 number and spoke to Blackberry customer service, where I was politely told they couldn't do anything, as their is an agreement between Optus and them. I then DM'D Optus on Twitter, who said they will get back to me tomorrow. Hopefully I get a resolution by then. Don't know what to do if I get a negative response. Sigh.....

Posted via CB10
    Great, thanks for letting us know. Hopefully it all works out for you, fingers crossed!

08-24-15 06:26 AM
    I finally got the message I have been waiting for. Optus just told me that Blackberry are sending them the replacement phone, and that I should have it either by the end of the week or early next week. As much as this has taken five weeks and tested my patience, I have to commend Optus who have been supportive from the start. Now that it's almost over, I am getting really impatient to hold a Passport again haha.😂

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 01:48 AM
    I finally got the message I have been waiting for. Optus just told me that Blackberry are sending them the replacement phone, and that I should have it either by the end of the week or early next week. As much as this has taken five weeks and tested my patience, I have to commend Optus who have been supportive from the start. Now that it's almost over, I am getting really impatient to hold a Passport again haha.😂

Posted via CB10
    Sweet, you owe me a beer!!

08-25-15 02:08 AM
    Haha any time mate. Are you Melbourne based?

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 05:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    Good for you. Maybe Optus can talk to Bell. Lol. I hate Bell now and they've lost a customer over this issue as they've been down right condescending and antagonizing over my warranty claim.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30
    08-25-15 06:55 AM
    Having to deal that long for a repair there's no way I would keep such device
    08-25-15 08:49 AM
    Guys, I have another solution.

Carefully lift the corner that is experiencing the screen lift and pour a decent amount of crazy glue (or similar) into the housing. Then press and hold. This fixed mine.

IMO This is caused by the CPU heating and melting the glue that bonds the display housing to the central housing. Its no big deal, just don't rock the BB with the opening for too long because you could get dust in it.
    Can you please elaborate and how to lift the corner screen and what glue(brand) to be used.How to put the glue

Thanks in advance

Sent from Passport
    illlya likes this.
    08-25-15 02:37 PM
    Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 07:04 PM
    In my case, it was not an adhesive failure - it was a failure of the screw thread and I would be very hesitant to put glue under there, as it is also very close to the main PCB and ribbon connectors for the screen/keyboard and battery.

If in your case it is a failure of the glue, personally I would disassemble it first before applying glue.
    08-25-15 10:28 PM
    Yeah your right. Mine too. Maybe next year I'll dispose this passport (800$) ouch! For a year lifespan

Posted via CB10
    08-26-15 05:30 AM
    Finally got my Passport back tonight. Happiest person in Australia right now.

Posted via CB10
    PHughes likes this.
    08-28-15 08:21 AM
    I just received a new Passport SE and the screen is also lifted up from the case. So I call them if that is any problem or not, they ask me to send a picture of two and they wanted to replace the phone.

I also know from other our dutch BBM group that one of them had allready three new Passport and all has lifter screens. So my opinion it's al about the glue.

I also used a passport for 11 month and no problem at all, but just received my new Passport SE and after two days the upper screen bothers me, so I call them.
    08-28-15 08:28 AM
    Finally got my Passport back tonight. Happiest person in Australia right now.

Posted via CB10
    That is Awesome! Welcome back!

08-28-15 08:36 AM
    Feels good to be back lol

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 08:42 AM
155 ... 23456 ...