Will let you know how I get on, on Monday. You are very helpful.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 08:23 AM
    Will let you know how I get on, on Monday. You are very helpful.

Posted via CB10
    Please do, my pleasure

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    08-21-15 08:25 AM
    I usually have no issues when I contact BlackBerry Customer Service. I'm in the States but still no issues with them. Ive had them overnight me a device after having a faulty Sim Card Reader on my Original White Passport.
    And that might be the reason. As already stated, BBhelp via Twitter was pretty helpful at first, until I mentioned I am based in Germany. They weren't interested anymore, they basically told me it is not BlackBerrys problem that my BlackBerry phones keep being delivered defective more or less out of the box.
    Contact your retailer which again contacts BlackBerry. BB Germany will only talk with carriers and retailers, not directly with their consumers.

I also can't help but stating you are out of luck when it comes to warranty here when I talk to people who are interested in BlackBerry devices. Sure you get your service, but it is slooow.
    08-21-15 09:01 AM
    Never seen or heard of this as an issue from other users and friends.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 09:44 AM
    In that case, it's my pleasure to elucidate you of my tale

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 10:01 AM
    Like so many others on these forums, I was enamoured by the Passport from the day it was released, and when I heard it was going to be available in Australia, I knew I had to have one. Since Optus were the exclusive Australian carrier, and I am a Telstra customer, the only option was to purchase it outright for more than $850.

That was in January. Three months later, I began to experience the dreaded "screen lift" that so many people have reported. "Not a problem," I thought, "I'm covered under warranty". How wrong I was.

After countless phone calls, emails, letters and visits to the store I purchased it from, combined with some of the most incompetent customer service I have ever experienced, Optus have refused to repair my phone. This is what the Optus Quality Assurance manager and RIM had to say on the matter:

So there you have it - according to BlackBerry, the Passport screen lift issue so many people have been having isn't a known fault and it's not covered under warranty. Optus quoted me $350.00 to be issued a refurbished unit - almost the price of a new unit in other parts of the world.

In Australia, consumers are protected by the Australian Consumer Law and are entitled to a refund, replacement or repair (at their option) for any fault which, had a reasonable person been aware of it, would have affected their decision to purchase it. I think most people would agree that a screen peeling off after three months of use would probably dissuade the average person from buying such a product! It seems Optus and RIM don't agree, however.

BlackBerry don't have a customer service department nor service centre in Australia, and Optus have refused to move on the issue, stating that they are following RIM's warranty repair guidelines. So it looks like I'll need to pay to have the phone repair out of warranty by an unauthorised repair centre and hope they know what they're doing.

BlackBerry, I have long been one of your most ardent supporters, but I fear this may be the end of the line for us. When a loyal customer pays $850 for a phone which literally falls apart after a few months of normal use and you don't stand by them, I'm not sure what else you could possibly expect.
    The phone needs to sent in for inspection and then finial determination, are you being stubborn and not wanting to part with it rather than send it in? A sales clerk at a store is not qualified IMHO and neither is a picture sent a reasonable approach to proving it isn't a drop damaged phone.
    08-21-15 10:25 AM
    You make a good point, but ultimately a relatively large number of people are experiencing this issue, relative to the proportion of people who are using other makes and models of phones. This suggests that it's a result of inadequate design.

BlackBerry don't publish specifications on the maximum amount of torsional force the chassis can withstand without incurring plastic deformation, nor the amount of lateral force it can withstand. In the absence of such specification, could on not safely assume that a phone can go in a pocket as is possible with every other phone on the market?

For so many people to be having the same problem, in the exact same place, is a sign that the product isn't fit for the way consumers are using it.
    Complaints at CB isnt a study of validity, happy owners may never post on CB and the few with problems probably do and the noise can be over powering and make it appears half the Passport have bad screens lifting up. My PP is flawless.
    La Emperor and Ecm like this.
    08-21-15 10:29 AM
    Guys, I have another solution.

Carefully lift the corner that is experiencing the screen lift and pour a decent amount of crazy glue (or similar) into the housing. Then press and hold. This fixed mine.

IMO This is caused by the CPU heating and melting the glue that bonds the display housing to the central housing. Its no big deal, just don't rock the BB with the opening for too long because you could get dust in it.
    08-21-15 01:08 PM
    And a browsing of the forums will show that this problem still exists in the new SE PP's

#CB10 #workwide #Silver
    did not see this on the forums. that shoots down my idea of ever getting one.
    08-21-15 03:26 PM
    Guys, I have another solution.

Carefully lift the corner that is experiencing the screen lift and pour a decent amount of crazy glue (or similar) into the housing. Then press and hold. This fixed mine.

IMO This is caused by the CPU heating and melting the glue that bonds the display housing to the central housing. Its no big deal, just don't rock the BB with the opening for too long because you could get dust in it.
    doesn't it dry up all white and become really noticeable? please provide screenshot of this supposed solution.
    08-21-15 03:29 PM
    Have there been any pictures of lifted screens, I haven't seen any. Did the OP post a picture of damage?
    Last edited by mawil1013; 08-21-15 at 08:14 PM. Reason: changed screen shot to picture
    08-21-15 03:51 PM
    Have there been any screen shots of lifted screens, I haven't seen any. Did the OP post a screen shot?
    Since this is a physical damage, there is no way to provide a screenshot of that issue.
    08-21-15 05:25 PM
    Have there been any screen shots of lifted screens, I haven't seen any. Did the OP post a screen shot?
    Yes there has been
    08-21-15 05:47 PM
    I would still get a passport
    08-21-15 05:59 PM
    Since this is a physical damage, there is no way to provide a screenshot of that issue.
    Let us be more specific. Provide us a 'picture' of said damage and solution.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 08:12 PM
    The phone needs to sent in for inspection and then finial determination, are you being stubborn and not wanting to part with it rather than send it in? A sales clerk at a store is not qualified IMHO and neither is a picture sent a reasonable approach to proving it isn't a drop damaged phone.
    The phone has been sent in twice via the store to their repair centre for assessment. The photo I posted was provided by their service centre as evidence as to why the screen couldn't be fixed under warranty.

After I pointed out that any alleged liquid ingress around the USB port doesn't explain failure of the screen, they requested I send it in for reassessment at which point they consulted with BlackBerry and came back that it wasn't a known issue and therefore the screen failure must be a result of physical damage.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 08:27 PM
    Have there been any pictures of lifted screens, I haven't seen any. Did the OP post a picture of damage?
    Allow me to oblige, although the issue is exaggerated in the photo.

Don't buy a Passport - Screen Lift = World of Hurt & No Warranty-img_20150820_152113.jpg

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 08:29 PM
    Complaints at CB isnt a study of validity, happy owners may never post on CB and the few with problems probably do and the noise can be over powering and make it appears half the Passport have bad screens lifting up. My PP is flawless.
    The only couple of people I personally know who had a Passport both had this issue. They ended up selling them and one got a Samsung Galaxy and the other an iPhone 6+. The latter was a long-time BlackBerry user (back to the pearl) but wanted better app support for his Sony cameras.

Are you suggesting that if I buy a new Passport outright I'm very unlikely to have the same issue again?

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 08:33 PM
    The phone has been sent in twice via the store to their repair centre for assessment. The photo I posted was provided by their service centre as evidence as to why the screen couldn't be fixed under warranty.

After I pointed out that any alleged liquid ingress around the USB port doesn't explain failure of the screen, they requested I send it in for reassessment at which point they consulted with BlackBerry and came back that it wasn't a known issue and therefore the screen failure must be a result of physical damage.

Posted via CB10
    Can you submit a complaint to; "consumers are protected by the Australian Consumer Law" I'm really surprised as to a BB response that you have gotten. I personally have had BB in Canada, (even though I'm in America) bend over backwards, I have a way out of warranty Playbook that developed a line across pictures and they paid to take back and paid to return to me and fixed all for free! Best of luck to you
    08-21-15 08:34 PM
    I got mine from Mobileciti in sydney who told me they source from Optus we did.. mines got no issues so but if this screen lift occurs il just toss the phone out or sell it for parts and get the silver or slider. I don't have time going back and forth with company's to get replacement phone etc etc.

Posted via CB10
    int19 likes this.
    08-21-15 11:02 PM
    Don't bend a Passport - world of butthurt and no insurance.

Fixed it for you.

Posted via Passport. It's hip to be square.
    08-22-15 06:32 AM
    Don't bend a Passport - world of butthurt and no insurance.

Fixed it for you.

How does one avoid bending their Passport so that this issue doesn't occur? I've used my Passport the same way I've used phones for the past 18 years. Care to explain why I've only encountered an issue now?

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 09:08 AM
    How does one avoid bending their Passport so that this issue doesn't occur? I've used my Passport the same way I've used phones for the past 18 years. Care to explain why I've only encountered an issue now?

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps because your previous phones were sufficiently narrow that when squatting down with them in a front pocket they sat snugly on your thigh rather than one corner protruding out to the side and having the material of your trousers stretched tightly over them, thus exerting a large amount of pressure on that corner.

08-22-15 09:19 AM
    Perhaps because your previous phones were sufficiently narrow that when squatting down with them in a front pocket they sat snugly on your thigh rather than one corner protruding out to the side and having the material of your trousers stretched tightly over them, thus exerting a large amount of pressure on that corner.

So the Passport is unsuitable for pockets?

Is this mentioned to users when they purchase the device, or are they supposed to use their intimate knowledge of the internal structures of the device, along with an understanding of the metallurgical composition of the chassis, before putting in their pocket.

Or hey, if that is indeed the case, maybe there's a reason other manufacturers aren't designing similarly shaped handsets.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 09:30 AM
    So the Passport is unsuitable for pockets?

Is this mentioned to users when they purchase the device, or are they supposed to use their intimate knowledge of the internal structures of the device, along with an understanding of the metallurgical composition of the chassis, before putting in their pocket.

Or hey, if that is indeed the case, maybe there's a reason other manufacturers aren't designing similarly shaped handsets.

Posted via CB10
    No, it's not unsuitable for pockets. Like all phones and consumer electronic devices in general it's unsuitable for having excessive pressure repeatedly applied to opposite corners.

No intimate knowledge of the internal structures is required. A high school level of knowledge of the laws of physics will suffice, or failing that, a smattering of common sense.

Baked likes this.
    08-22-15 09:44 AM
155 12345 ...