Hi, I'm going to Europe next month and AT&T has extortion level prices to use my current SIM. So I'm looking at T-Mobile, mint or other carriers. (BTW, I'm open to suggestions on the best deal on one!)

Since most of the plans I can get here in the US that offer international roaming offer very meager amounts of data I planned to save data when possible by making calls & texts over WiFi. The cheap little ZTE Zinger I used last time can do it, but I planned to buy a new Passport to replace my Q10 before I go.

So, will the AT&T version of Passport work with calls over WiFi?

Thanks!

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    06-03-18 05:42 PM
    Hi, I'm going to Europe next month and AT&T has extortion level prices to use my current SIM. So I'm looking at T-Mobile, mint or other carriers. (BTW, I'm open to suggestions on the best deal on one!)

Since most of the plans I can get here in the US that offer international roaming offer very meager amounts of data I planned to save data when possible by making calls & texts over WiFi. The cheap little ZTE Zinger I used last time can do it, but I planned to buy a new Passport to replace my Q10 before I go.

So, will the AT&T version of Passport work with calls over WiFi?

Thanks!

Wifi calling via is primarily over carrier network so the carrier locked AT&T can be a hardship. I wouldn’t buy a phone based on your trip, so continue to plan for AT&T Passport for your long term needs.

For your trip, use the Zinger again or some other cheap factory unlocked.
    06-03-18 05:49 PM
    I can help. You have to unlock the AT&T phone which is a hassle but it's all automated.
    Wifi calling works if you download the app using the link inside the thread I started on this topic about two weeks ago.

Wifi calling is a little inconsistent depending on your wifi strength etc but if you reconnect to your wifi or toggle on/off wifi calling it works well. This has saved me and got me off AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-18 11:19 AM
    And it works for texts just the same as calling.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-18 11:19 AM
    I can help. You have to unlock the AT&T phone which is a hassle but it's all automated.
    Wifi calling works if you download the app using the link inside the thread I started on this topic about two weeks ago.

Wifi calling is a little inconsistent depending on your wifi strength etc but if you reconnect to your wifi or toggle on/off wifi calling it works well. This has saved me and got me off AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    He needs wifi calling with a European carrier. Unlocking will allow to install European SIM, doesn’t guarantee WiFi calling with AT&T version on all other carriers, especially outside North America.
    06-04-18 01:39 PM
    We just back from a 2 week vacation that included Venice, Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Munich, Innsbruck, Vicenza, Verona and back to Venice. Before I left I bought a $60 Cdn SIM card from Orange European on Amazon.ca for my unlocked Passport. If I had extended my Rogers plan, it would have been more than $100 Cdn. The Orange SIM card plan had better features, 120 minute talk, 1,000 texts and 10 GB data. Never came close to using all that up. Put the Orange SIM card in my phone when we touched down in Venice and was instantly connected. Didn't have to do anything. Each time we crossed a border, I got a text from Orange saying I was still covered. I did get a new phone number, so I texted family back home. Phone number started with 33, so I think they are out of France. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. It is good for 14 days. If you stay longer, you have to register. If you are over 30 days, you have to pay for more usage.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-18 04:11 PM
    Crunch27 has the best approach imho. Just pick up a local 10-14 day sim and put it into your Passport. You can pick them up right at the airport just about anywhere you travel to and there are many options as far as data amount/call $/etc.
    06-04-18 04:15 PM
    Thanks! I'll actually be buying it unlocked, but since I'm currently suffering with AT&T as the only carrier with service in my area it made sense to get that model. Do you recall what day you posted the link to DL the WiFi calling files? I'm thinking about getting T-Mobile for the trip if the Mint mobile doesn't work out.

The only other thing is that I keep seeing listings for AT&T version Passports that turn out to be SQW100-1, and I am told that the AT&T version (which also is the only one that has qi wireless charging) is the SQW100-3...

Do you know? Just to confuse me, the Q10 I got for AT&T is an SQW100-1.

06-04-18 05:00 PM
    Thanks! I'll actually be buying it unlocked, but since I'm currently suffering with AT&T as the only carrier with service in my area it made sense to get that model. Do you recall what day you posted the link to DL the WiFi calling files? I'm thinking about getting T-Mobile for the trip if the Mint mobile doesn't work out.

The only other thing is that I keep seeing listings for AT&T version Passports that turn out to be SQW100-1, and I am told that the AT&T version (which also is the only one that has qi wireless charging) is the SQW100-3...

The Passport -3 is the only AT&T version that has 100% AT&T compatibility and wireless charging. The Passport -1 is factory unlocked, doesn’t have wireless charging and may not have enhanced services like wifi calling on AT&T. If you’re on T-Mobile, -1 version makes better sense, just no wireless charging.
    06-04-18 07:21 PM
    We just back from a 2 week vacation that included Venice, Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Munich, Innsbruck, Vicenza, Verona and back to Venice. Before I left I bought a $60 Cdn SIM card from Orange European on Amazon.ca for my unlocked Passport. If I had extended my Rogers plan, it would have been more than $100 Cdn. The Orange SIM card plan had better features, 120 minute talk, 1,000 texts and 10 GB data. Never came close to using all that up. Put the Orange SIM card in my phone when we touched down in Venice and was instantly connected. Didn't have to do anything. Each time we crossed a border, I got a text from Orange saying I was still covered. I did get a new phone number, so I texted family back home. Phone number started with 33, so I think they are out of France. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. It is good for 14 days. If you stay longer, you have to register. If you are over 30 days, you have to pay for more usage.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the input! I just had seen those for sale on Amazon.com last night & wondered if they worked well. What about the others for sale on Amazon? Besides Orange I saw several other SIM cards for sale. I need it to work in Germany, France, Poland & Ireland. If any are either better coverage than Orange for these countries for the same price or similar coverage at a lower price it'll be nice to know before I buy one for myself & both kids.

Thanks in advance! ;-)

06-05-18 05:35 PM

Someone else linked it. If you search a thread for wifi calling and AT&T you'll see it. Posted in the thread about 30 days ago.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-18 07:03 PM