Siri is able to access wolfram alpha which lets it do some pretty robust things like convert units or tell you how many days there are until christmas (or any specific date you mention). Can the blackberry assistant do that sort of thing at all?
    It uses wolfram alpha anytime you ask it a general knowledge question.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 04:41 PM
    I don't know if this has been answered, but does the assistant work without an internet connection? As far as I'm aware, siri and google now need a network connection even for local tasks. Just curious if BlackBerry assistant works the same way.
    It allows phone calling by name or address book entry, launching applications, playing music by title, artist, album, etc as well as music control with "stop" "play" "next track" etc.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 04:46 PM
    It allows phone calling by name or address book entry, launching applications, playing music by title, artist, album, etc as well as music control with "stop" "play" "next track" etc.

Posted via CB10
    All that without having to be connected to the internet?
    10-14-14 02:57 AM
    My fianc�e uses an iphone 5S and I have my passport, the other day we were having drinks and talking about phones when we got on the subject of a good steak restaurant and if they had fillet mignon, so I challenged her to use siri to find "the keg steakhouse menu"

Siri pulled up its usual list of google searches, Blackberry assistant opened up the pdf off the keg website of the menu, i downloaded the file and i was reading the menu all within 20 seconds

That is my real world scenario, so yes blackberry assistant works great

Posted via my game changer BlackBerry Passport
    piquepoc likes this.
    10-14-14 03:43 AM
    Used it for movie, it brought up list of all movies in my area and an option to play the trailer

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 05:33 AM
    I think most all phone assistants need the internet, but is a good questions, what commands can you do on the phone with no data connections.
    10-14-14 12:29 PM
    For local tasks such as making phone calls or starting programs etc you don't need a data connection I tested it out and it works fine.

When you turn data services off you get a caution symbol when you open the assistant.
    Does BlackBerry Assistant actually work?-img_20141014_210702.png

Z30 and loving it on 10.3.0.1418!
    10-14-14 08:10 PM
    For local tasks such as making phone calls or starting programs etc you don't need a data connection I tested it out and it works fine.

Z30 and loving it on 10.3.0.1418!
    Awesome! I suspect that explains the reason BlackBerry assistant is slower compared to Siri and Google Now - all processing is indeed happening right on the device and our voice samples are not being sent out to BlackBerry data center.
    10-14-14 10:30 PM
    I asked it to find me the closest popeyes chicken. Brought up a list and asked which one I want to choose. as soon as I chose it, it then opened up in maps and started navigating.

I also asked it what the meaning of life is. Gives an interesting reply to that question.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 10:57 PM
    Assistant is the most accurate in the market.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 11:08 PM
    I like how BlackBerry assistant reads you your messages without having need for third party apps.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 01:40 AM
    Yes.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 11:33 PM
    Awesome! I suspect that explains the reason BlackBerry assistant is slower compared to Siri and Google Now - all processing is indeed happening right on the device and our voice samples are not being sent out to BlackBerry data center.
    No. The local stuff is lightning fast. Things slow down when network ASR is used, and it's used whenever you're connected to the Internet. The network asr gives very accurate transcriptions of speech so you can do more. The speed should get better in a future update.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 11:37 PM
38 12