1) I hope android apps will run in their native resolution.
    2) When playing a video, let me do something productive with the black space. Move the video to the top and let me open a condensed version of the Hub underneath it.
    I'd hope that most android apps will scale properly and take advantage of the extra space, things like the kindle app would seem like they would work rather nicely on this device.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see stuff like you suggest, but doubt it would be at launch since it is a clear enhancement that they could trumpet when they release 10.4 for the device later on.
    06-28-14 06:52 PM
    What intrigues me about the Passport is that the screen is big enough that it can display a full Android app in letterboxed 16:9 portrait. Or a 16:9 landscape video (decently sized, too, from the leaked vid I saw today). So one thing that intrigues me is the possibility of having another phone where I never have to change orientation again.
    If you do the maths, a widescreen movie on the passport would end up being about the same size as viewing it on a z10, so not that bad at all even if people may not like the black bars too much.
    06-28-14 06:54 PM
    The sharper looking the better, for me anyhow. I like sharp and bold lines on gadgets. Though I do think the passport seems a bit big, Id like to see it in contrast to an iphone6.
    The z's are amazing.....I hope they stick with some similiar sizing options as they try to press forward.
    06-28-14 08:23 PM
    Not me, I'd prefer a slider

Posted via CB10
    II ARROWS, Doggerz and jlfarias like this.
    06-29-14 09:09 AM
    I love it. It will be my next phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 09:13 AM
    I went from a Torch to a 9900, and within a couple of days discovered something I loved: I didn't have to keep turning my phone sideways for stuff. In fact, there's no reason to turn a Bold sideways at all. I can recall times where I was changing orientation back and forth maybe several times in the course of 15 minutes, and I didn't have to do that anymore. It solved a problem I didn't even realize I had!

Even so, I wanted the Z10 when it came out, and BB10 had its own compelling features. But when I had the chance to try a Q10 out for a few days, I was reminded how much I liked not having to change orientation anymore. The only problem with the Q10, of course, was that its display is small enough that it can't display a full Android app, and many wind up unusable because controls fall outside the scope of the screen.

What intrigues me about the Passport is that the screen is big enough that it can display a full Android app in letterboxed 16:9 portrait. Or a 16:9 landscape video (decently sized, too, from the leaked vid I saw today). So one thing that intrigues me is the possibility of having another phone where I never have to change orientation again.

(NOTE: yes, I know you can turn a Passport sideways, and that looks like a useful feature for when you have a long document to scroll through. Nifty, but it wouldn't be used much in the course of a typical day. Certainly not as much as I have to change orientations on my Z30).
    Why do you have to turn your torch or Z30 sideways? Doesn't it look the same in portrait as your bold, just longer?

Edit: meant bold.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 06-29-14 at 10:04 AM.
    06-29-14 09:17 AM
    I do believe in squares, I do, I do!

All things Berry
    06-29-14 09:18 AM
    If you do the maths, a widescreen movie on the passport would end up being about the same size as viewing it on a z10, so not that bad at all even if people may not like the black bars too much.
    The Z10s screen in landscape is 10.7 mm (13.2%) wider.
    06-29-14 09:44 AM
    I have noticed on a few different posts people mentioning the corners may be rounded on release? As they did with the Z10? Anyone heard anything about this?

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 09:57 AM
    Let's not forget, square screen, rectangle device.
    06-29-14 10:55 AM
    I have noticed on a few different posts people mentioning the corners may be rounded on release? As they did with the Z10? Anyone heard anything about this?

Posted via CB10
    The phone John Chen shpwed off already differs from the leaked prototypes and so close to release you can expect the JC device to be the final product. It was very polished and especially the attached metal rims on the sides seem final. So no rounded corners to come if you ask me, I'm 99.99% sure of that.
    06-29-14 10:57 AM
    Does Anyone Really Like This Square Form Factor?-mockit_29062014141938.jpg

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 03:20 PM
    Q: Does Anyone Really Like This Square Form Factor?

A: Can anyone really love or hate this without ever using the passport? The answer is no
    06-29-14 04:11 PM
    I like the 1:1 ratio except on how it displays certain android apps where things are out of place and some bits are inaccessible.

Differentiate or Die
    johnnyuk likes this.
    06-29-14 04:30 PM
    Hide a full screen inside that converts into a double size 16:9 format tablet when the Passport is opened. Add twin simcard slots and soften the sharp corners of the device, and it would truly be a beautiful, uniquely practical device that should appeal to young and old, business executive and college student alike.. In closed mode, it would handle non-media apps, documents, and BB10 Hub perfectly, given the keyboard. In open mode, it would provide a first class media and gaming experience, with stereo speakers built-in. What do you think, is this a feasible package for the Passport?
    06-29-14 05:44 PM
    A full touch passport would be great.
    06-30-14 07:43 AM
    A full touch passport would be great.
    No that'd be horrible. Ask LG.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-30-14 11:53 AM
    Meh, I will still be using my Q10. The Passport is way too big.

I need to be able to use the phone one handed.

Q10 forever~~~~

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    06-30-14 04:28 PM
    Meh, I will still be using my Q10. The Passport is way too big.

I need to be able to use the phone one handed.

Q10 forever~~~~

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    Classic.
    06-30-14 04:54 PM
    My only concern with a big 1:1 square screen is how Android apps react to it. Some Android apps don't display very well on a small square screen like the Q10 and Q5 because 1:1 is an aspect ratio that isn't used by Android phones.

My concern is that the ones that have a messed up display on Q phones now will still be messed up, just bigger.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3175 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.2
    The Passport's display is large enough to display an entire Android app, either vertically or horizontally. It can provide a letterboxed 16:9 viewing area either way that's a little larger than an iPhone 4's screen.
    06-30-14 04:57 PM
    1) I hope android apps will run in their native resolution.
    2) When playing a video, let me do something productive with the black space. Move the video to the top and let me open a condensed version of the Hub underneath it.

Posted via CB10
    The native FastTube app allows you to zoom and crop YouTube videos to full screen. I think this would be as useful on the Passport as it is on the Q10.
    06-30-14 05:04 PM
    I think it quite suits the phone. Looks good.
    06-30-14 11:17 PM
    I view a ton of PDF'S and documents at work. This screen size is awesome for that.

Posted via CB10
    Agree 100%.

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    07-01-14 12:47 AM
    If it can fit in my jeans pocket, I'd be happy...

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    It'll fit if you wear baggy jeans.

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    07-01-14 12:51 AM
    Why do you have to turn your torch or Z30 sideways? Doesn't it look the same in portrait as your bold, just longer?

Edit: meant bold.
    If I want to look at any content in landscape (web page, video, photo), I need to turn a portrait-touchscreen phone sideways. The Bold had a landscape orientation to begin with, so it was never an issue (and turning a keyboard phone sideways is generally awkward).

The Passport does not have to be turned sideways to display in landscape. It can either display 16:9 portrait OR landscape, depending on what kind of media I'm viewing. THAT's what I'm talking about. I'd say I turn my Z30 sideways at least a dozen times a day for various reasons.
    07-01-14 12:55 AM
78 1234