I know this is a question that is a true toss up, but I am in hopes that somebody out there knows more than I know. Does anybody know what is going on with AT&T and the Blackberry Passport release. I am looking to upgrade from my Z10 and would like to do it through my carrier, but by February of 15' I plan on purchasing it unlocked.

I would just like to know if anybody knows anything about this! I want it so bad because from what I am reading in reviews, this phone is the best BB has created! Right now I think it is the Z10, so I would like a crack at the passport!
    12-07-14 04:47 PM
    you could always buy an unlocked model , it will work on at&t as there is a lot already using them.
    12-07-14 05:07 PM
    Would I be able to get LTE signal? That was my worry because last unlocked phone I bought, I think I bought the wrong model and had to send it back! lol
    12-07-14 05:12 PM
    12-07-14 05:15 PM
    Just buy it unlocked. If you buy it on contract your plan will be 45 for that line instead of 15.
    12-07-14 05:19 PM
    Yes it will get lte on Att.
    12-07-14 05:20 PM
    I use the Passport on AT&T in Dallas and get a strong LTE signal. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 06:17 PM
    Would I be able to get LTE signal? That was my worry because last unlocked phone I bought, I think I bought the wrong model and had to send it back! lol
    My Passport is consistently on AT&T's LTE network here in New England. No need to tweak settings, just inserted the nano sim from my prior AT&T phone and was all set.
    12-07-14 06:25 PM
    Had a Z10 with ATT. Bought the Passport unlocked from amazon.

Went to ATT and had a nano SIM installed,phone switched. I'm good to go.

I got tired of waiting and rumors. Really happy i got this phone!

Passport
    geekaren likes this.
    12-07-14 06:25 PM
    LTE in the midwest

Cloaking Device & Special Opps Commander for the Peevishlicious Crew on SQW-100-1 10.3.1.1154
    12-07-14 08:36 PM
    I'm using a Passport in Central Florida and get LTE with no issues. I wouldn't wait on AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    geekaren likes this.
    12-07-14 09:29 PM
    Unlike the Z30 model people use on AT&T, which only has some of AT&T's LTE bands accessible via its radio chips, the GSM Passport via Amazon or ShopBlackBerry is 100% compatible with AT&T LTE across the US.

In other words, if AT&T LTE is available, your Passport will get it, as long as it's a PassportSQW100-1.

Don't wait, treat yourself now. I'm 2 weeks in after swapping over from my Z30 and loving it every day.

Posted via CB10, Mostly from my Passport, occasionally my Z30
    geekaren likes this.
    12-07-14 10:18 PM
    Just bought unlocked and moved from vzw to att two weeks ago. Been great!!

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 10:36 PM
    I get LTE here in the NYC area. My Passport works great on AT&T's network here.

Blackberry Passport SQW 100-1, 10.3.0.908
    ny1979 likes this.
    12-07-14 10:43 PM
    I've used an unlocked BlackBerry Passport on AT&T in Los Angeles and it worked absolutely perfectly, LTE and all

You won't have ny problems, just buy one and start using!
    12-08-14 12:30 AM
    No issues whatsoever getting LTE in Northern California.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 12:37 AM
    I'm getting only 4G but not LTE on my Passport on AT&T in Los Angeles. Not sure why. Called AT&T tech support last week, they told me it is because AT&T does not recognize Passport on their system yet. Maybe i'll call AT&T next week again to see if they can fix this problem.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 01:43 AM
    AT&T makes more money if you buy the Passport outright. You. Pay the same monthly fee either way but they don't have to subsidize it. You are not locked into the two year obligation but realistically in the US there are few good alternatives for GSM service.

Posted via CB10
    leglace1 likes this.
    12-08-14 02:39 AM
    I need to get it through my corporate account and it has to be in the AT&T corporate store to purchase so buying it unlocked isn't an option.
    12-08-14 10:44 AM
    I need to get it through my corporate account and it has to be in the AT&T corporate store to purchase so buying it unlocked isn't an option.
    Then you will simply have to wait until they release it subsidized, there is no date yet, but rumors say sometime in 2015.

I say this because every time I speak with an ATT customer service rep, I always ask about the Passport and they can never give me information... some of the reps don't even know what the Passport are, or that it was coming to ATT in the first place (I know, mind boggling)...

Unfortunately, those that need to buy it subsidized will just have to wait

I was initially going to wait to see if Verizon would release one, and then I thought to buy it subsidized through ATT but I just lost my patience with the iPhone 5S I was using and ended up buying it on black friday since there was a pretty sweet deal. I have not looked back since.
    12-08-14 11:06 AM
    Should we sticky a "Passport on AT&T Updates/Questions" page? It seems this is going to be a popular subject until it's actually resolved.

cluke -- buy one unlocked if you're allowed (sorry to hear about that, arhcangel). I missed out on the subsidy this time around, but I feel better knowing I'm not locked into a contract for a change. My unit drops into LTE when available just fine.
    12-08-14 11:17 AM
    AT&T makes more money if you buy the Passport outright. You. Pay the same monthly fee either way but they don't have to subsidize it. You are not locked into the two year obligation but realistically in the US there are few good alternatives for GSM service.
    They have plans now where if you BYOD, you get a $15 discount on the price of service. So if you're buying your own phones, it makes sense to sign up for one of these plans. I believe they're called Next plans.

And yes...the SQW100-1 will get LTE on AT&T. It has all their LTE bands, unlike the Z30 STA100-5.
    12-08-14 11:24 AM
    They have plans now where if you BYOD, you get a $15 discount on the price of service. So if you're buying your own phones, it makes sense to sign up for one of these plans. I believe they're called Next plans.
    Are you sure that's BYOD? It looked to me like you only qualified for Next if you purchased a phone through AT&T on installments. I never talked to a rep to verify that, however.
    12-08-14 11:31 AM

And yes...the SQW100-1 will get LTE on AT&T. It has all their LTE bands, unlike the Z30 STA100-5.
    Thank you. I had to type this out in another thread that AT&T discounts your account every month if you BYOD as you are not using their subsidy. This applies to Mobile Share plans as well. AT&T will discount at minimum $15/month depending on the data you sign up for. If you use more data and sign up for a higher data plan the discount for buying the Passport unlocked becomes $25/month.

So for the same service as someone on a subsidy, those that buy the Passport outright will be paying $15-$25 less per month (again for the same exact plan and service). AT&T does credit you for not using a subsidy, say if they carried the Passport for $199 with a 2 year contract you would be paying an extra $15-$25 per month over someone who bought the Passport outright and stuck on a 2 year contract.

It seems like many are under the impression that they can use the subsidy when/if AT&T starts carrying the Passport to get the device much cheaper and that their payments will be the same as those that bought unlocked. In all honesty, anybody on a high data plan should buy the Passport at the discounted $599 as you'd be contract free with an unlocked phone and a $25 credit each month. Even the $15 adds up over time and having an unlocked non-carrier branded device seems to make more sense.

No worries about contract fees, etc. If I want to switch to T-Mobile tomorrow I can just have them port my number and cancel AT&T without worrying about fees, can change my plan and carrier at any time. The credit should be factored in for those deciding on waiting to take the subsidy for a 2 year contract. I'd end up paying more every month and having to pay a termination fee or be stuck in an upgrade cycle with AT&T as I doubt I'd use the same device for 2 years if I went with a subsidized phone from AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    raino and thedose like this.
    12-08-14 11:58 AM
    Are you sure that's BYOD?
    I think so:

If upgrading to a new phone, the discount is only available via AT&T Next, when you bring your own phone, or when you buy a new phone at full price. If you upgrade to a new 2-year agreement, the discount is lost.
    This is from this website: next_original_legal

However, I am not an AT&T customer, so please double check!
    PhonePuddin likes this.
    12-08-14 12:26 PM
40 12