Thank you everyone!
    This will be a helpful thread for others too!

I like my coffee  BlackBerry® black! What?
    01-30-17 10:50 AM
    I find a 2 - 2.5 hour charge takes me between 90-99% charge and is enough to get me through more than a day. I can just plug in when I wake, then grab the phone before I leave in the morning And I'm set.

Fast or wireless charging may be convenient in newer phones, but I function just fine without either.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    01-30-17 11:01 AM
    Wow you guys go to extreme lengths to try and protect a cellphone battery... modern cellphones has triggers and protections to prevent overcharge and deep discharge
    01-30-17 03:40 PM
    ^^ This is true. The wheel has already been invented in this case. Batteries don't really get charged to 100% (it's lying to protect you).
    01-30-17 04:02 PM
    The placebo effect makes us feel better. Let it alone and everyone is happy.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    mister2d likes this.
    01-30-17 04:10 PM
    Wow you guys go to extreme lengths to try and protect a cellphone battery... modern cellphones has triggers and protections to prevent overcharge and deep discharge
    Makes good sense. We'll dust this thread off when BlackBerry comes out with USB-C ports.
    01-30-17 04:24 PM
    ^^ This is true. The wheel has already been invented in this case. Batteries don't really get charged to 100% (it's lying to protect you).
    They actually just use a formula to what is considered 100%. When it reaches it, charging automatically stops... that's why it's warm when it's below "100%" and the phone reaches normal room temperature when it reaches "100%".

Using a timer and all that stuff just complicates life for nothing. Could be even a fire hazard if the timer is cheap
    mister2d, Tim-ANC and kbalaz like this.
    01-30-17 04:31 PM
    They actually just use a formula to what is considered 100%. When it reaches it, charging automatically stops... that's why it's warm when it's below "100%" and the phone reaches normal room temperature when it reaches "100%".

Using a timer and all that stuff just complicates life for nothing. Could be even a fire hazard if the timer is cheap
    Exactly. This is key. We're saying the same thing.
    01-30-17 04:57 PM
    Good to know that batteries protect themselves. The fact that the battery cools down when reaching 100% confirms the statement. My information was apparently outdated. I paid for the timer , besides , I like it's concept , so I will rather use it but I won't recommend it here and there.

 BB10 can't die. It is healthy and young!
    01-30-17 10:58 PM
    Sorry to go off on an ever so slight tangent, but whilst there is no way to improve battery health, a security wipe does help in improving the time a battery holds a charge for.

Previously, on 88% health, my Passport SE started to only hold charge for 4-5 hours with next to no usage. Following a security wipe, it now lasts approx. 18 hours with moderate usage. The difference is remarkable.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-17 06:54 AM
    Sorry to go off on an ever so slight tangent, but whilst there is no way to improve battery health, a security wipe does help in improving the time a battery holds a charge for.

Previously, on 88% health, my Passport SE started to only hold charge for 4-5 hours with next to no usage. Following a security wipe, it now lasts approx. 18 hours with moderate usage. The difference is remarkable.

Posted via CB10
    This is probably due to the clean OS not having things going on in the background draining the battery.

Good to know what sort of a difference a clean install makes though.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport SQW100-1 running 10.3.2.2639
    01-31-17 07:11 AM
    Whilst I agree with everything you say it is a little more complicated than this, mobile manufacturers need to maximise the battery run time so they need to trade off how much to under charge it so it still gives as much time between charges (as that is what consumers demand) whilst giving enough cycles to ensure it lasts for at least 2 years or more.

The 100% figure is as you state only a cut off for the charger but in reality it is when the battery reaches a set voltage that the cut off happens.

There is a table in this link which gives some clarity on discharge charge cycles and how they affect battery life:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/lea...ased_batteries

From this it can be seen that discharging too far is bad for battery life as is a full charge.

Of course we here do not know where BlackBerry put their safety cut off for discharge and charge voltages but this does not mean battery life cannot be extended by not letting the battery drain too much or indeed fully charging it.

There is always going to be a sweet spot in doing this as although you may be able to increase the number of cycles it's no good if it only lasts an hour before you need to charge it again, if however you can extend the battery life from 500 cycles where you need to charge it once every 2 days to 2000 cycles where you need to charge it daily then you will have doubled its working life.

This is all very dependant on individual use patterns and practicality of course but you can see the advantages to be had.

Last edited by m3ach; 01-31-17 at 01:56 PM.
    01-31-17 08:04 AM
    bottom line, Lithium ion like having juice running through them. They hate heat, so keep them out of hot environments number one (don't leave them sit in your car on a hot day), that is one that I think we can all agree on.
    01-31-17 08:50 AM
    Lots of fruit and vegetables.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-17 02:12 PM
    Anything over 500 cycles is good. I have had my Passport for 2 years 4 months and I am on cycle #494. Getting there lol.
    01-31-17 02:14 PM
    Definitely better than ni-cads. Can we all agree on that?
    brookie229 likes this.
    01-31-17 02:24 PM
    Right now the battery's health is marked as good, but on closer inspection, I noticed that the health is at 83% after being at 84% for many months. Is there a "recondition" method that can be used or something? Worried. Thanks.
    It's a bit hard to get a good reading of battery health, I have noticed that I can download an app and it will say my health is 79% one day and 89 the next, I would say don't worry about it that much or you'll just stress yourself out about it, if virtual expert says it's good, it's good.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-17 07:30 PM
    Anything over 500 cycles is good. I have had my Passport for 2 years 4 months and I am on cycle #494. Getting there lol.
    How did you keep the track of cycles?!

02-01-17 12:10 AM
    Definitely better than ni-cads. Can we all agree on that?
    Oh yes!

02-01-17 03:46 AM

As they say " There's an app for that!". I have one called Battery Fiction Pro. That's about the only thing I use it for.
    02-01-17 06:53 AM
    As they say " There's an app for that!". I have one called Battery Fiction Pro. That's about the only thing I use it for.
    The Hubby app also tells you number of cycles amongst other things.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-17 09:54 AM

396 Cycles Count/Condition: OK using Device Suite Pro.
    02-02-17 11:04 AM
47 12