Terry Halvorsen: DoD Seeks to Expand Mobility Options for Military Personnel

Mary-Louise Hoffman � Sep 26th, 2014

The Pentagon aims to implement mobile devices that would run on the military�s classified and unclassified networks, C4ISR & Networks reported Thursday.

Amber Corrin writes Terry Halvorsen, the Pentagon�s acting chief information officer, said the agency is developing a smartphone to operate within the Secret Internet Protocol Router Network.

�A SIPR phone that works across the world, in a form factor that looks like a small phone and operates at the right cost level � [we are] doing that and in November we will begin to implement,� Halvorsen told reporters Thursday.

Corrin reports the department is also working on a device for both military work and personal use through the Nonsecure Internet Protocol Router Network.

�We have begun to put those out, based on the Blackberry Z30, that have the capabilities for the work environment and the personal environment,� Halvorsen added, according to the publication.

The Pentagon also plans to test the feasibility of a bring-your-own-device program across the military.

Halvorsen noted the pilot program would limit mobility privileges to certain users and applications such as email, data sharing and calendar, according to Corrin�s article.
    11-12-14 01:02 PM
    The thing is that the Pentagon has to modify their security requirements for the SIPR. And not to mention how wide spread the government will achieve use the SIPR phones. Most of this has to have a hard wire connection because even the government still doesn't trust wireless connectivity. BlackBerry was used always for unclassified and possibly confidential information. Protection PII (personal identifiable information) . For them to upgrade to SIPR could put the whole SIPRNET at risk. Therefore it would take a long time to implement this. Maybe even limiting the actual connection to the type of SIPRNET Seems plausible. If I would compare to them transferring classified information by hand they require more than one person and direct passage to the location with security managers knowing about the transfer. This is risky. I mean maybe email but still looking at classified information on the go is just weird. Even a classified call. I just don't know about this.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 01:19 PM
    That is changing with Halvorsen...moving to a secured mobile and cloud environment as soon as he can. He is the right man to do it! He trust BlackBerry given all is public comments and presentations.

iPhone, no freaking way will iPhone survive the Halvorsen move on mobility within the DoD!
    11-12-14 01:28 PM
    There's another one that BlackBerry tweeted about sometime back... let me share the link...

http://fedscoop.com/inside-halvorsen...inkId=10502546

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 04:53 PM
    Use the existing thread, please - http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...o-bb10-975419/
    11-12-14 04:55 PM