I would really like an official dock or cradle.
    Will we be getting one at some point? Will it work with official hard shell case?

Failing that, will these work with Passport (once again with official hard case on)?
    Anybody using a dock?

Universal Dual Micro USB OTG Smart Charger Dock Station Cradle for Cell Phone | eBay

Micro USB Dock Station Cradle USB Hub Charger Stand Holder for Smart Phone DZHB | eBay

Android Micro 5 Pin Smart Phone Universal Dock Galaxy NOTE2 GalaxyS3 Cradle | eBay

Micro USB Sync Charger Dock for Samsung Galaxy Mobile Phones S4 I9500 S3 I9300 | eBay

The best of course would be a custom cradle, where I can just "drop" the phone in and the usb jack will connect, rather than one of these universal cradles where I will need to "aim" the usb port when I put them on the dock, but still will be better than nothing.

But of course, you would want the back of the device to be supported while it's in the cradle - otherwise it will be standing on the usb pin alone, which feels flimsy to me.

If anyone has experience with a desktop dock or have suggestions, please share.
    Nels and gnirkatto like this.
    11-17-14 09:18 PM
    I totally agree with your post. I too am waiting/hoping for an official dock/cradle.

When I had the Z30, I had a Kidigi universal dock (it seemed to be the best option) but quickly found out that it wasn't a true "drop in" type scenario.

It required, as you put it, "aim", to ensure it was centered correctly so that the USB jack would seat properly. With time, I noticed the edges of the port on the phone were scratched from all the times the USB was missed.

I realized that if I had to constantly place the phone in such a careful manner, holding the base, etc in order to get good placement, then it just defeated the purpose (for me) to have it altogether (as opposed to just taking less time to just plug in the stock cord.)

The only nice thing I missed, was the orientation of the phone once it was docked. But I value the convenience factor of being able to just drop it in to be what I want the most.

There have been several posts about the universal offerings, findings of several manufacturers etc with great feedback and pictures, but seeing all that space and lack of guides on the side just reminds of my previous universal application.

Hopefully enough PPs are sold and BlackBerry can justify making a proper one.
    11-17-14 10:11 PM
    Yes... Althoughh as I keep saying, I am using the official hard shell, so I don't know if they ever make official cradle (which is a big "if" in itself) whether it will be compatible with a case and be droppable.

Maybe I should just take a chance with one of the ones on ebay. Can you refer me to the post you mentioned where they were discussing this?

I haven't used a universal dock, so your comment about scratching near the usb port gives me a bit of concern but to me, it will at least get rid of an unsightly cable from my desk.

Or if something like this worked, it would be nice too.
    I don't know if it will, and even it it does, this will make usb connection to computer difficult (although, I think most stuff can be done through wifi...

Portable Universal Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Coil for Micro USB Mobile | eBay
    11-17-14 10:44 PM
    There was a recent post by RafiqK with the Kidigi charger and nice pics:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=976447

I think this is the best looking one at the moment and believe it has an insert or it looks like there is enough of a gap to accommodate a gel case.

A dock/cradle with a removable insert to accommodate cases is something I would like as well.

Going back to my Q10 days, there were 3rd party vendors that came out with cradles that had these insert options to accommodate cases and were designed in "cup" like form so there was no play whatsoever. It was specific to Q10 so that was nice.

Regarding the Qi Wireless option, I LOVE the idea and was considering it for my past phones, however, don't believe the amperage is high enough and as a result would take a very long time to charge. Not 100% sure on this, someone would have to confirm. Also, getting into the PP backplate doesn't look too easy and not sure there would be enough clearance for the pad. I guess someone would eventually have to try it and hopefully post about it.

The universal options you mentioned in your original post are relatively cheap and worth trying at least one of them to see if it suits you.
    Last edited by BACK-2-BLACK; 11-18-14 at 08:56 AM.
    11-18-14 07:45 AM
    Thank you. I already ordered a $2 universal dock from ebay but I am taking a chance, especially with the case. The kidigi one is not official but at least specifically for Passport... That might be the thing.
    Making one shouldn't be that difficult if I had a way with woodwork....
    11-18-14 09:15 AM
    Hey mofokey....would you share the link for what you bought?

Thank you. I already ordered a $2 universal dock from ebay but I am taking a chance, especially with the case. The kidigi one is not official but at least specifically for Passport... That might be the thing.
    Making one shouldn't be that difficult if I had a way with woodwork....
    11-18-14 09:36 AM
    Hey mofokey....would you share the link for what you bought?
    Here you go. Looks like it should work without a case, but with a case on, I am not completely sure. It's $2 anyway. Now the wait...
    11-18-14 11:02 AM
    mofokey? No link dude?

Here you go. Looks like it should work without a case, but with a case on, I am not completely sure. It's $2 anyway. Now the wait...
    11-20-14 10:53 PM