It will be awesome if passport also gets android updates, but I doubt it because slider sale will be affected by that. Blackberry wants people to buy slider to make money!
    Keeping my fingers crossed they do something for current gen owners (devices released this year) to keep those devices moving forward with the rest of the platform (ie Android).

But I'm biased. Not a fan of the slider's size. I dig the Passport form, but require the app selection of Google Play.
    krazyatom likes this.
    08-30-15 07:08 PM
    I actually bought the se the day it became available. Then a couple days later Venice became a sure thing. Then a couple weeks later se showed lollipop.

Yesterday i filled a return request on the se. It's approved but I'm holding off sending it back.

Honestly, i am kinda praying that in the next few days before i have to ship it back they announce Android will be available to download on existing se's.

The silver edition pp is by far the best built, zero issue device I've ever used from bb.

My fear is bb will go all out Android and I'll be stuck with an outdated paperweight running an os with no future.

In the meantime, stole a brand new g4 today sealed still for 380 and typing this on that but i am keeping fingers crossed that news of Android update on existing se models will come.

Posted via Telephone
    Last edited by Marcin Dabrowsky; 08-30-15 at 10:44 PM.
    08-30-15 07:24 PM
    Of all the dumb posts on here this is by far the dumbest! Holy shnikies!!

Posted via the amazing Passport
    08-30-15 07:58 PM
    I actually bought the se the day it became available. Then a couple days later Venice became a sure thing. Then a couple weeks later se showed lollipop.

Yesterday i filled a return request on the se. It's approved but I'm holding off sending it back.

Honestly, i am kinda praying that in the next few days before i have to ship it back they announce Android will be available to download on existing se's.

The silver edition pp is by far the best built, zero issue device I've ever used from bb.

My fear is bb will go all out Android and I'll be stuck with an outdated paperweight running an os with no future.

In the meantime, stole a brand new g4 today sealed still for 380 and typing this on that but i am keeping fingers crossed that news of Android update on excusing se models will come.

Posted via Telephone
    Oh man, you should have given your SSE to me.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 08:25 PM
    The best of both worlds would not be a dual boot, but being able to switch between BB10 and Android like switching between work and personal spaces/modes in BB10 without rebooting.

I would love to have my work on BB10 with its all security and productivity features and personal on Android with all available apps from Google Play Store and with Google Play Services.

Anyone likes the idea?
    I think this would be the best way to go. If they have the technology to have one phone split into work and personal and have the company to be able to have a "virtual" sim on it that can run two numbers, I don't see why we can't have a super secured Android BlackBerry that not only has the security we expect from Waterloo, but also has full Google Play integration.

Why anyone wouldn't want this option is beyond me. There's no more side loading and work it's just searching for an app in the play store and downloading it like it should be.

Post via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    08-30-15 08:50 PM
    Even so, if they offered you, the power user, the option of dual booting, you're going to spend 99% of the time using one over the other. Unless you have a specific use for both operating systems, you'll just use one.

And what happens when the user ****s up their bootloader or the partitions get messed up? Dual booting isn't a simple or serviceable option for the majority of users.
    i almost disagree with you, but seeing as how the Android runtime has gotten pretty good and most Google services can be side-loaded thanks to Cobalt, it is true that the dual-boot potential seems moot. The concept seems paradoxical, because if you are power-user enough to want to dual-boot Android, you might as well patch and side-load.
    As far as botching your bootloader, i did that once and it was upsetting
    08-30-15 09:58 PM
    You obviously don't need one, but he does.

Then he go buy an Android phone, there are more makes then I can name AND ONLY ONE BLACKBERRY and it runs a BBOS.

Posted from an ME173X
    08-31-15 12:01 AM
    i almost disagree with you, but seeing as how the Android runtime has gotten pretty good and most Google services can be side-loaded thanks to Cobalt, it is true that the dual-boot potential seems moot. The concept seems paradoxical, because if you are power-user enough to want to dual-boot Android, you might as well patch and side-load.
    As far as botching your bootloader, i did that once and it was upsetting
    Doesn't it seem stupid to always be looking for work arounds and side loading everything? Wouldn't it be easier to go to the play store, hit download and not have to worry if an app is going to work or not?

Don't get me wrong, I love BB10, but the app situation with BlackBerry is frustrating to say it nicely.

Post via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    08-31-15 07:29 AM
    Doesn't it seem stupid to always be looking for work arounds and side loading everything? Wouldn't it be easier to go to the play store, hit download and not have to worry if an app is going to work or not?

Don't get me wrong, I love BB10, but the app situation with BlackBerry is frustrating to say it nicely.

Ah, but not everyone is an app junky.
    anon9347040 and acovey like this.
    08-31-15 07:36 AM
    I think all BB10 devices could actually get Android if BB wanted to. People should remember that BB10 is very resource intensive due to the Android runtime (the minimum RAM it was able to run on was 1.5 on the Z3). Good mid-range Android devices (like the Moto G) actually run on 1 GB of RAM and do it quite well.
    08-31-15 08:20 AM
    I'm not an App Junky... I think - I have 14 apps that I install every time I do a clean install.

But I go to a conference and they have an Event APP... I usually download that and use it.
    I go on Vacation to a location that uses Apps to interact with the customers... I usually download that for a short time. (Going to a Disney Theme Park or Cruise... you want an App)

Even with Cobalt's solution, these don't always work fully... and that is very frustrating.
    08-31-15 08:46 AM
    Do you think the Passport will get the Android Lollipop update, because it has 3 GB of ram?

Silver Edition Passport
    RAM has nothing to do with it...even the moto g with 1GB of RAM has lollipop....
    08-31-15 09:56 AM
    As app development for BB10 OS will drop right off IF BB introduced an Android OS, they better ensure all past and present BB10 devices have the opportunity to move to Android if the owners want. IMO if they don't, BB as we know it will cease to be a viable device provider. There are too many Android devices available out there for folks to choose from already. If they loose their current customer base, bye, bye BB!
    08-31-15 10:21 AM
    True. I run my BlackBerry at pretty much stock. Only a couple of Android apps.

It's just stupid that BlackBerry users have go through multiple steps to get an app when iOS and Droid users only search, download, and then use their apps.

08-31-15 10:21 AM
    RAM has nothing to do with it...even the moto g with 1GB of RAM has lollipop....
    I don't think Android "M" or "L", is the issue with minimum hardware requirements. I think the BlackBerry Experience is going to be the issue.

Just like crossplatform BBM has issues running on basic Android phones, I think the FULL Experience is going to need more "power" - RAM, CPU, Battery.
    08-31-15 10:31 AM
    Why is the "KID" talking about "the Android Lollipop update" as if that was even a thing? The **** are you on about, kid?

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    08-31-15 10:37 AM
    No, it won't get the Android update. Bootloader is locked and no other OS can be loaded on it.
    08-31-15 10:45 AM
    No, it won't get the Android update. Bootloader is locked and no other OS can be loaded on it.
    Don't the autoloaders we've already used unlock the bootloader so that new versions of BB10 can be loaded, and then lock it again? Maybe I just don't understand how this stuff works, but it seems to me that if an autoloader can load BB10 onto a BlackBerry device, it could load Android too. The locked bootloader means (to me) only that it can't be done without an autoloader that is coded to do the unlocking; there's no way we can do it on our own.

This isn't to say, of course, that BlackBerry would make such an autoloader available, or even permit it to leak. I have no clue about that. But I don't see why such a thing couldn't exist.
    08-31-15 12:14 PM
    I would imagine, for bb's sake, that when the new se Android pp gets released they provide purple that recently bought the se bb10 to download a bootloader capable of switching their new device from a dead os to their new future os. Otherwise you will lose the few die hard fans you've got.

Posted via Telephone
    09-03-15 02:48 PM
    All I want is the BlackBerry HUB and BlackBerry keyboard. If the backend is Android...so be it...then the app gap is closed and I have the best of both worlds. Bring on the Slider BlackBerry just don't disappoint me and take away the reasons we are all BlackBerry fans!

Posted via CB10
    09-03-15 02:53 PM
    Exactly. I love my Passport, but having only Amazon store means I cannot run many core apps. I paid a lot for the Passport, I want the OS upgraded.

I WILL buy the new BlackBerry - maybe not the Priv - but my next phone will be BlackBerry if they don't abandon me here. BB is too expensive to lose the trust of their users. Keep us safe, secure, and content and we'll pay forever. :-)
    10-23-15 10:39 AM
    Won't happen as Passport and all other existing BlackBerry 10 devices have 32 bit processors, where Priv is 64bit. I cannot see them investing in development of a 32 bit version of android customization and 32 bit versions of their new BlackBerry experience android apps.

So no

Posted via CB with my Passport to productivity
    10-23-15 01:51 PM
    I strongly believe the answer is 'no'.

Is Android 32 or 64 bit?

http://android.stackexchange.com/que...t-or-64-bit-os

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by buckwylder; 10-23-15 at 10:30 PM.
    10-23-15 10:17 PM
    I think a follow up passport with Android may be more likely. One that is specifically for android. I think it will be a wait and see how the priv does.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-24-15 12:01 AM
    You would need a dual boot in order to achieve such a thing, which is highly unlikely. Bb10 devices will stay on bb10 and wont see android
    10-24-15 12:54 AM
85 1234