I'm interested in buying a Passport. Does anyone know if the GMail app and Google Maps app work okay on this phone?

Does anyone have any complaints about using Gmail or Google Maps on the Passport? Let me know. Thanx!
    08-21-15 09:15 PM
    Work fine for me.

Posted via CB10
    rcranz likes this.
    08-21-15 09:16 PM
    Do new messages appear in the Blackberry hub? Or do you check your Gmail via a web browser on the phone?
    08-21-15 09:19 PM
    I get all of my emails through Gmail via the Hub using IMAP. They come in instantly.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    Yuzry Yusoff and rcranz like this.
    08-21-15 09:25 PM
    No issues here...

Posted from my Passport... You've been BlackBerried!
    rcranz likes this.
    08-21-15 09:37 PM
    While Google maps works, be aware you will not be able to sign in unless you do some workarounds.

Gmail works well through the hub
    rcranz likes this.
    08-21-15 09:52 PM
    Gmail works great. In the HUB - fast and easy. I use BeMaps which is Google maps in BlackBerry World. Works fine for me!

Posted via CB10
    stevepar and rcranz like this.
    08-21-15 10:22 PM
    You don't need Gmail app. Hub takes care of it smoothly.

Also Google maps run fine.

Posted via CB10
    miker476, cdnynot and rcranz like this.
    08-21-15 10:26 PM
    I can recommend BeMaps as well. Works great on my Z30 and it uses Google Maps.

Posted via CB10
    miker476 and rcranz like this.
    08-22-15 02:31 AM
    Google Maps works excellent and opens quickly. I like Gmail even better on the hub.

Posted via CB10
    rcranz likes this.
    08-22-15 02:45 AM
    As others have stated, accessing your Gmail is fine as this (like adding any email account) is built into the OS. Gmail is added as an IMAP account and will give you access to your Gmail email, contacts, and calendar on your BB10 phone if you want it. If you run into any issues, they can be corrected in your Gmail IMAP settings accessible through the web interface.

Google Maps can be installed and will run but as others have said, you can't sign in (once installed, just hit 'skip' at the sign in stage). You can search for points of interest, use street view, even get directions. What you can't do is accessed your saved maps or 'starred'/saved locations though you can get access to your saved locations if you are willing to do some work arounds.

On the Passport, Google Maps works pretty good without any serious lag. Much faster than on the older BB10 phones (i.e. Z30, Q10, etc.).

Since Google Maps wont be found in BB World or the Amazon App Store, there are probably three ways to get it on your phone. Using 'Cobalt's' method to install Google Play on your phone and installing it through there; installing 'Snap' and then using it to install Google Maps; or just finding the Google Maps APK online, copying it to your phone and then installing it through the File Manager. Personally, I used Snap. You can search CrackBerry for info on all of them though.
    PaoloSv and rcranz like this.
    08-22-15 05:44 AM
    As others have stated, accessing your Gmail is fine as this (like adding any email account) is built into the OS. Gmail is added as an IMAP account and will give you access to your Gmail email, contacts, and calendar on your BB10 phone if you want it. If you run into any issues, they can be corrected in your Gmail IMAP settings accessible through the web interface.

Google Maps can be installed and will run but as others have said, you can't sign in (once installed, just hit 'skip' at the sign in stage). You can search for points of interest, use street view, even get directions. What you can't do is accessed your saved maps or 'starred'/saved locations though you can get access to your saved locations if you are willing to do some work arounds.

On the Passport, Google Maps works pretty good without any serious lag. Much faster than on the older BB10 phones (i.e. Z30, Q10, etc.).

Since Google Maps wont be found in BB World or the Amazon App Store, there are probably three ways to get it on your phone. Using 'Cobalt's' method to install Google Play on your phone and installing it through there; installing 'Snap' and then using it to install Google Maps; or just finding the Google Maps APK online, copying it to your phone and then installing it through the File Manager. Personally, I used Snap. You can search CrackBerry for info on all of them though.
    I am signed into the latest version of Google Maps. I guess it's because I have Google ID installed for Cobalts wonderful Playstore apk solution. Few compromises and it opens as fast as BlackBerry Maps (willing to prove it...).

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 01:47 PM
    My Google maps shows me as signed in. And I can see all my starred locations. I used cobalt's apps (<-- they're amazing, btw).

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 08:27 PM
    My Google maps shows me as signed in. And I can see all my starred locations. I used cobalt's apps (<-- they're amazing, btw).

Posted via CB10
    How did you do it? I recall something about being able to sign in to Google Maps if you use a very old version of Maps but don't know if that still applies.
    08-22-15 08:37 PM
    How did you do it? I recall something about being able to sign in to Google Maps if you use a very old version of Maps but don't know if that still applies.
    I had to use this specific sequence:
    -uninstalled cobalt's apps (if you previously installed them)
    -volume up/down reset
    -installed all of cobalt's apps (but didn't run any of them)
    -ran BlackBerry Google ID app and checked in device
    -ran cobalt's Google Play Store app
    -installed latest Google Maps app (from Google Play Store)

I recently deleted aptoide, snap, and the amazon app store because they're redundant now.

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk
    KenV54 likes this.
    08-22-15 10:13 PM
    Google maps runs awesome on mine. Very reliable!!

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 02:27 AM
    Hi. Is the gmail remote search working? Like searching for old email a year back. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    08-23-15 09:27 AM
    Yes. As long as your email account is synced to "forever" in the settings when you set up the email account.
    08-23-15 03:58 PM
    Hi. Is the gmail remote search working? Like searching for old email a year back. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, it works. Goes back a few years. At least.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 04:16 PM
    -volume up/down reset

I recently deleted aptoide, snap, and the amazon app store because they're redundant now.

I had effectively done the same thing as you did when I got my new SE Passport, since Google Maps was not installed nor was it restored. All the Cobalt Google stuff is his latest, or pretty close.

So, I just DL'ed the newest Google Maps from the Google Play Store, and it works quite well in terms of even taking voice instructions. It says I'm signed in under my Gmail address, but it doesn't bring up any of my other Google Maps history from my computer. I think it's sort of a partial sign-in. It says I need Google Play services do that, and I can't get that on my Passport.

Is that similar to what you have, or can you get all your Google Maps history, too?
    08-23-15 05:42 PM
    When initially setting up the Gmail account for the Hub, just make sure to go to Advanced and select Forever for how much to sync.
    08-23-15 06:00 PM
    -volume up/down reset

Are your Home and Work locations showing properly in Maps? Mine do not, and I installed in the exact sequence you did.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 06:05 PM
    I had effectively done the same thing as you did when I got my new SE Passport, since Google Maps was not installed nor was it restored. All the Cobalt Google stuff is his latest, or pretty close.

So, I just DL'ed the newest Google Maps from the Google Play Store, and it works quite well in terms of even taking voice instructions. It says I'm signed in under my Gmail address, but it doesn't bring up any of my other Google Maps history from my computer. I think it's sort of a partial sign-in. It says I need Google Play services do that, and I can't get that on my Passport.

Is that similar to what you have, or can you get all your Google Maps history, too?
    Exact same for me. And no Home/Work, right?

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 06:06 PM
    Note that BlackBerry does NOT have access to the All Mail folder. It is an error acknowledged to me by BlackBerry. So if you use the Gmail Archive feature, you will not be able to access those emails on your BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 06:07 PM
    Exact same for me. And no Home/Work, right?

Posted via CB10
    I don't have home/work on my PP.

Sounds as though we've got as much on Google Maps as we're going to get. About 90%, I'd say.
    08-23-15 06:57 PM
60 123