So Ive cracked my screen on my beloved Passport. I've already ordered the replacement screen, have it on hand and started to slowly take device apart. If you've seen a tore down passport you know that there's a frame on the back of the screen. My question is how do I detach the frame from the broken screen and install it on the new one?
    10-05-15 11:47 AM
    So Ive cracked my screen on my beloved Passport. I've already ordered the replacement screen, have it on hand and started to slowly take device apart. If you've seen a tore down passport you know that there's a frame on the back of the screen. My question is how do I detach the frame from the broken screen and install it on the new one?
    I'm guessing you got "just" the glass screen and not the digitize + display screen + frame assembly?
    If so, and it is like most all other glass screens, it is glued to the digitize and that is an extremely hard to change part.
    It requires a heat gun, special tools, new glue and seal material, and tons of patience.
    And you only get one shot at it and risk not only breaking your replacement glass, but the rest of display parts too.
    10-05-15 12:02 PM
    See my wordpress: blackberrytaiwan.com. Sorry it is in Chinese. I have to be responsible for my kind of people. I will answer any question should there be any.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 12:46 PM
    None of the replacement screens I saw online had the assembly on the back so I assumed it would detach being connected to the frame or mother board like some of the previous phones I've worked on.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 01:28 PM
    None of the replacement screens I saw online had the assembly on the back so I assumed it would detach being connected to the frame or mother board like some of the previous phones I've worked on.

Posted via CB10
    The "just" the glass part = about $11.00US
    The assembly = about $90.00US

For example:
    "Just the glass" = http://www.amazon.com/Digitizer-Face...UvbUpU11975535
    "Glass + display + digitizer" = http://www.amazon.com/Digitizer-Repl...UvbUpU11975535

How to:
    How to Tear Down The BlackBerry Passport within 10 minutes
    10-05-15 01:44 PM
    I have the digitizer and screen with the connector strips, it just doesn't have the frame on the back. I'll probably have to attempt open heart surgery to remove the frame from the cracked screen and hope to not screw up the speaker at the top

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 04:17 PM
    I've done 2 of those. Heat gun gently and a plastic strip to separate. The speaker grill will have to be glued in place also.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 04:21 PM
    I've done 2 of those. Heat gun gently and a plastic strip to separate. The speaker grill will have to be glued in place also.

Posted via CB10
    Did you use the adhesive left behind from the original screen?

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 04:25 PM
    Yes, but I did add a little contact cement using a tooth pick.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 05:13 PM
    Was just in your shoes and had the same question. Turns out a little heat and a thin plastic tool will bring that screen up. I used the old adhesive to reconnect but wish I'd bought some 3M tape and used that instead.

Posted via my White Passport
    10-05-15 10:09 PM