If you compare them side by side:

Z30: much darker, better contrast ratio, much more saturated colours (actually not a good thing)

Passport: much brighter, much better ppi, more pixels, better viewing angles

If you like saturated, punchy screens then z30 isn't bad.

Otherwise the passport is better in all respects.

Posted via CB10
    This is a good explanation and as someone else mentioned, no screen is "perfect". Also, as a reviewer said, the PP screen is nice but it won't win any medals.
    From my experience :
    The Note series screens are brighter and seem to be more impactful, but for extended periods it is hard on the eyes.
    The PP leans towards that "paper white" feel like the Kindles but much better (depending on your settings) and can viewed for much longer periods of time without the eye strain.
    Last edited by BACK-2-BLACK; 10-31-14 at 08:52 AM.
    10-31-14 08:36 AM
    There was a thread accusing the BlackBerry of cheating by purposely limiting the max brightness of the Passport's screen. Lol

Posted via CB10
    They do limit it - we aren't getting the full nit effect. Install a 3rd party browser like Baidu and use its settings to max brightness - the Passport gets WAY brighter. Close Baidu, and watch the PP auto-dim over the next 2-3 seconds.
    10-31-14 09:53 AM
    @StutterStep, great comparison. I've also noticed that the displays aren't consistent in respect to color reproduction going from device to device. At the same brightness, the whites on my Passport are blueish and on my wife's more neutral.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 10:01 AM
    I think a lot of people set the brightness at max unnecessarily. This might be causing your blacks to appear lighter and reducing the clarity of the content. Personally, I set mine as low as I can.
    Way to many people do this with the brightness, and these same people most likely they did the same thing to their living room TV, which probably looks horrendous, but they think it's looks amazing. It also reminds me of people that can't hear audio distortion when they turn their stereo up too loud, almost as if they are still 10 years old haha.
    SethDove likes this.
    10-31-14 10:11 AM
    Personally, I preferred the Z10 screen to the z30 in all but size. I couldn't go back now. You get used to the screen real estate - and nothing seems quite as good.

Posted via CB10
    I just turned on my Z10 today to test out the latest 10.3.1 update, and while the screen still looks great, it felt like I was holding a candy bar. I think I'm a big phone person from here on out...

The Passport definitely has the noticeable edge in clarity, but the blacks on the Z10 do appear much deeper. None of it is enough to make me disappointed with the Passport, though. The screen is great IMO, and the device as a whole is awesome.
    10-31-14 04:48 PM
    Ben,

I guess its all matter of taste in screens.. Took me a long time to find a computer monitor that I loved the colors, sharpness and brightness. For me, the only beef that I had with the Z30 was the screen, I hated it. it was too dark and text wasn't crisp. I still think the Z30 is one of the best all touch phones out there. I kept my z30 when I got the passport. Personally I love the Blackberry Passport screen, I find its the sharpest cleanest screen out there. Even my die hard Apple guy who we argue about Apple and Blackberry,, he thought the screen looked 3D compared to his Iphone 6. If blackberry took the passport, made it all touch with the same specs I would jump on it in a heart beat. But I do respect your opinion, our eyes see different things..
    10-31-14 05:08 PM
    The screen quality is the most important factor for me in whether or not I like a device, after the os. I get a feeling I am the only one on CB disappointed by the passport's picture. Maybe it's because everyone hyped up the quality of the screen so much but I really don't find it to be anything special. It's not bad by any means but I just expected more. Personally, I like the z30's OLED screen better than any I have seen on any other device(ironic, I know, as the ppi was the source of most major complaints about the z30). Honestly, I find the z10's screen to be better than the passport's. I also have an iPhone 6, which I think has a much better screen, and an HTC one m8 for windows phone, which I find to be marginally better. I think the passport has a higher ppi than both the iphone6 and the HTC one m8 so I am not sure why these two device's appear to have subjectively more pleasant viewing experiences to me. I think that I prefer the z30 just because I prefer the OLED screen over the LCD IPS screen of the passport. I haven't ever seen another OLED device though for comparison so I can't say for sure if the screen technology is the primary reason for my preference unfortunately. Does anyone else have a similar experience or am I just all alone on this one?

Posted via CB10
    I think the problem is the Z30 is using 10.2 and the Passport is using 10.3. It's a whole new look. I also like the looks of the Z30 but when the 10.3 OS comes out for it you will like the Passport better. I know this because I had been running a leak on it but just went back to 10.2 and was blown away by the colors. Wish I could run 10.2 on the passport with the 10.3 features......

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 05:12 PM
    It's all a matter of personal preference. Let's keep that in mind, people.

I happen to love the Passport screen/display. It's superb in daylight, far better than my Z30, Z10 or iPhone 5s.

FWIW, I was in the Apple store shortly after getting my Passport, picking up something shiny. I had to take a call, and one of the Apple guys asked about the Passport. He and a couple more looked at it beside the 6Plus. They were impressed with the device. One went so far as to say the screen was as good, possibly better than the 6's.
    10-31-14 05:31 PM
33 12