The screen quality is the most important factor for me in whether or not I like a device, after the os. I get a feeling I am the only one on CB disappointed by the passport's picture. Maybe it's because everyone hyped up the quality of the screen so much but I really don't find it to be anything special. It's not bad by any means but I just expected more. Personally, I like the z30's OLED screen better than any I have seen on any other device(ironic, I know, as the ppi was the source of most major complaints about the z30). Honestly, I find the z10's screen to be better than the passport's. I also have an iPhone 6, which I think has a much better screen, and an HTC one m8 for windows phone, which I find to be marginally better. I think the passport has a higher ppi than both the iphone6 and the HTC one m8 so I am not sure why these two device's appear to have subjectively more pleasant viewing experiences to me. I think that I prefer the z30 just because I prefer the OLED screen over the LCD IPS screen of the passport. I haven't ever seen another OLED device though for comparison so I can't say for sure if the screen technology is the primary reason for my preference unfortunately. Does anyone else have a similar experience or am I just all alone on this one?

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 12:00 PM
    Settings - > display -> display color settings

Try adjusting the white balance and color saturation to bring out a better perceived vibrance to the screen.
    I noticed the stock setting was a little too warm and slightly too low on the color vibrance for me personally so I modified those settings. Made a world of a difference.

For wallpaper make sure you are using a true 1440x1440 wall paper or a 1440x2560 cropped wallpaper. zooming an image even slightly reduced the perceived quality of the display especially if your wallpaper is something you tend to look at most between opening apps / enjoying the homescreen
    10-30-14 12:25 PM
    in all that, you never got specific as to WHAT exactly you like from the other screens.... the saturation? the contrast ratio??? you mentioned ppi but it's not like the pp lacks in that area so I'm assuming it's not that...

you have a lot of phones man... I bet you can find something wrong with each one... which is normal... they have their pros and cons....

I switch from a pp to a q10 regularly.... the pp screen makes my q10 look like it has a green tint to it... still love my q10 though
    10-30-14 12:26 PM
    I am not sure exactly what it is....i feel like the passport's screen is too glossy and sits really low under the glass. The z30s display looks like it floats. No doubt there is something wrong with every phone. I was just disappointed as I feel like every review I read really hyped up the screen. I think the other thing I dislike is how bright the blacks look, I get it that LCD IPS won't ever have blacks like an OLED but I feel like they look exceptionally bright on the passport. I have tried messing with the color temp, I agree temp by default is a little warm. The saturation is tricky to adjust I think.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 01:39 PM
    Bring it back and get any other whatever phone

Send from PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632
    10-30-14 01:40 PM
    Bring it back and get any other whatever phone

Send from PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632
    No. I love the phone. That's not the point.

Posted via CB10
    bbmtna likes this.
    10-30-14 01:55 PM
    The screen quality is the most important factor for me in whether or not I like a device, after the os. I get a feeling I am the only one on CB disappointed by the passport's picture. Maybe it's because everyone hyped up the quality of the screen so much but I really don't find it to be anything special. It's not bad by any means but I just expected more. Personally, I like the z30's OLED screen better than any I have seen on any other device(ironic, I know, as the ppi was the source of most major complaints about the z30). Honestly, I find the z10's screen to be better than the passport's. I also have an iPhone 6, which I think has a much better screen, and an HTC one m8 for windows phone, which I find to be marginally better. I think the passport has a higher ppi than both the iphone6 and the HTC one m8 so I am not sure why these two device's appear to have subjectively more pleasant viewing experiences to me. I think that I prefer the z30 just because I prefer the OLED screen over the LCD IPS screen of the passport. I haven't ever seen another OLED device though for comparison so I can't say for sure if the screen technology is the primary reason for my preference unfortunately. Does anyone else have a similar experience or am I just all alone on this one?

Posted via CB10
    Nope, in fact it was the screen that kept me from returning the PP during the 1st week (had a difficult time with the keyboard at first) but because of the screen I kept at it and now I'm sure glad I didn't return it (now I am flying on the keyboard)
    10-30-14 02:05 PM
    We all perceive colour and graphics differently... what the OP finds off about the LCD display is exactly the opposite of what I see.... I find OLED screens make the display look cartoonish to me.... Why I prefer LCD... as mentioned.. I suggest the OP play with the display settings a bit and see if that helps.... I much preferred the Matte look of older computer displays and really dislike the glossy ones that most come with......
    10-30-14 02:13 PM
    You are definitely not alone on this one. The passport blacks aren't deep enough for even a LCD. It appears gray in comparison to other displays with LCDs. If you compare the screens between Nokia Lumias, iPhone and HTC One's display you can see that. It's not the ppi that concerns me it's the contrast of the display. To me even the Z10 has deeper blacks than the Passport. This is why the Passport's display appears a little washed out despite setting the saturation to max. Black's not dark enough.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 02:38 PM
    I find the screen to be quite nice. I also liked the Z30's color depth, but sometimes found myself with headaches at some almost imperceptible fuzziness in small font, and the white was pretty bad. The Z10 had very accurate colors and white, but then became too small.

So I'd say there will always be some sort of tradeoff but it's all what you expect and can put up with. The Passport's screen is definitely not a negative. If anything its a "neutral" (I think that's what you're trying to get at OP).

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 02:48 PM
    Hmmm I personally thought the Z30's screen was beyond terrible, I never liked it due to the fact in bright sunlight it was a joke to make out anything on the screen.

Sure blacks are blacker but I was very happy the Passport won't be using amoled screens, which to me are a load of hype like gorilla glass.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 02:56 PM
    I think a lot of people set the brightness at max unnecessarily. This might be causing your blacks to appear lighter and reducing the clarity of the content. Personally, I set mine as low as I can.
    10-30-14 03:46 PM
    I think a lot of people set the brightness at max unnecessarily. This might be causing your blacks to appear lighter and reducing the clarity of the content. Personally, I set mine as low as I can.
    There was a thread accusing the BlackBerry of cheating by purposely limiting the max brightness of the Passport's screen. Lol

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 04:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not sure if your true blackberry fan why you felt the need to own a iphone also then dis the blackberry phone for not living up to your beloved iphone ?

Posted via CrackBerry App
    10-30-14 04:04 PM
    Saturation is not contrast. Blacks will never be black on an LCD. AMOLED is black because there is no light at all in the true black areas. This makes the contrast unlimited compared to even the highest contrast LCD. Also usually results in heavily saturated colors which some people dislike. For a phone I like that aspect. Not like I am doing color correct photoshop work, and with photos its close enough.

Biggest problem with daylight use is how close the screen is to the edge of the glass. Some are optically bonded, some are not. A Tenth of a mm Makes a difference. If there is a chance for air space between LCD and glass, it will detract from brightness in daylight.
    10-30-14 04:10 PM
    I like to whine about things too. I find with the Passport there is not really much to complain about and this is a real problem for me. Why couldn't there be more things that are upsetting? Perhaps the OS could at least have the occasional lag or something... it's really frustrating for me. I love this phone too much.
    My only worry of going from the Z30 to the Passport was giving up the battery life that the LED screen helped with. The Passport lasts for days compared to the Z30 so I can't hold on to that gripe. The screen is the bee's knees in my humble opinion.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    10-30-14 04:18 PM
    Lol what?

I have owned many phones. It's a hobby. BlackBerry is number one by far in my book. I love the passport, my z30,z10,q10, and dev alpha devices are used more often that any other device. I just thought after reading the reviews that the screen would be better (and I realize better is subjective here).

I think that another poster identified my problem: it's definitely the contrast.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-30-14 04:42 PM
    Actually, had this Engadget review been posted earlier, I would have known I wasn't alone. Lol
    Dissapointed by the passport's screen-img_20141030_190346.png

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 06:07 PM
    That is because it is not an over saturated AMOLED lol.

I came from a Z10 and its not even a comparison, the Passport screen is leaps and bounds better.
    10-30-14 09:50 PM
    Actually, had this Engadget review been posted earlier, I would have known I wasn't alone. Lol
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141030_190346.png 
Views:	315 
Size:	244.0 KB 
ID:	310763

Posted via CB10
    Well, but Passport has 1440x1440 resolution, not 1400x1400
    10-31-14 12:27 AM
    I actually agree with most of what you're saying. Disagree about the Z30 though, only played with one but thought the screen was horrible. Agreed completely though that despite the higher dpi, screen isn't as good as an iPhone 6 or HTC you mentioned.
    '
    That being said, it's still a fantastic screen and the best Blackberry has made to date.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 01:13 AM
    Passport 0% brightness , Z10 0% brightness
    Dissapointed by the passport's screen-dsc08218.jpg
    Passport 0% brightness, Z10 50% brightness
    Dissapointed by the passport's screen-dsc08219.jpg
    Passport 0% brightness , Z10 0% brightness
    Dissapointed by the passport's screen-dsc08208.jpg
    Dissapointed by the passport's screen-dsc08212.jpg
    Passport 0% brightness, Z10 50% brightness
    Dissapointed by the passport's screen-dsc08214.jpg

You can see especially once the viewing angle increaes, blacks not so pretty. Z10 viewing angle pretty darn good compared to the Passport. Z10 actually has noticeably deeper blacks head on than the picture suggests
    dejanh likes this.
    10-31-14 01:20 AM
    I find the display great on the PP. Black's are good. I actually turned brightness down a bit. Getting used to a square screen may take a while, especially for video. Had a look at a LG G3 screen playing 4k video, brilliant screen but you never gonna get that same effect on a PP as it's a different concept.

May I see your Passport please?
    10-31-14 01:56 AM
    If you compare them side by side:

Z30: much darker, better contrast ratio, much more saturated colours (actually not a good thing)

Passport: much brighter, much better ppi, more pixels, better viewing angles

If you like saturated, punchy screens then z30 isn't bad. Otherwise the passport is better in all respects. I can view a full width desktop Web page on the passport, and although the text is small, I can read it easily without zooming. For nothing else, this gives th PP the nod.

Personally, I preferred the Z10 screen to the z30 in all but size. I couldn't go back now. You get used to the screen real estate - and nothing seems quite as good.

Posted via CB10
    PapiPabs likes this.
    10-31-14 02:57 AM
    You are not alone. It's just that anything but cheerleading isn't tolerated here. The screens are very different, and it really depends on your eyes and what you do. I much prefer reading on the Z30 because it doesn't have to be as bright (my eyes are sensitive), and find the contrast/saturation combo to be great for text even over the much greater Passport resolution. But look at a quality image on both, and the poor color rendition on the Z30 becomes laughable. My two previous phones to the Passport were OLED so I like and am used to them. I find both to be as readable in sunlight--I've tested them side-by-side and they are both good IMHO. I like both phones, and have finally decided to stick with the Passport. But it's not perfect. No phone is.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 08:18 AM
33 12