I use my iPhone to record speakers during presentations. the quality is acceptable.

Today I didn't have my Iphone, but did have my passport. I figured i'd use the passport in this one instance.

Now everything else is the same, the same weekly speaker for the presentation, sitting in same location, phone in same location recording.

Output for both phones is M4A format, iphone gives 300MB for 2hours, while passport is only 180MB for 2 hours.

I just had a brief listen to the playback recording from the blackberry passport, and oh my god, the quality difference is insane. Its crystal clear, and sounds like its been professionally recorded in a studio. Usually I have to put laptop volume to 60% to hear whats being said, where the passport I only need 30% volume.

I'm going to use the passport for recording from now on. Such an awesome device.
    05-20-15 10:51 AM
    Natural sound plus 4 microphones to control noise. Yeah, it's going to sound better.

Work Wide and Prosper
    05-20-15 11:02 AM
    Natural sound plus 4 microphones to control noise. Yeah, it's going to sound better.

Work Wide and Prosper
    yes it got rid of a lot of background noise!
    05-20-15 11:03 AM
    Did you have the phone face down or face up on the table?

My understanding is that 2 mics are located on either side of the rear camera. Seems like putting the phone face down on a table would give better results that putting it face up as that would block the mics.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 11:04 AM
    Did you have the phone face down or face up on the table?

My understanding is that 2 mics are located on either side of the rear camera. Seems like putting the phone face down on a table would give better results that putting it face up as that would block the mics.

Posted via CB10
    face up, and in a case! Can't wait to try it out of a case face down now
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    05-20-15 11:07 AM
    What app did you use for the recording?
    05-20-15 11:11 AM
    What app did you use for the recording?
    the default blackberry notes one that comes with the phone. Think its called remember?
    05-20-15 11:17 AM
    I'm going to use the passport for recording from now on. Such an awesome device.
    Thank you. I'm going to take this a step further and do some research, but I doubt if the following is even possible.

I use a pennabled Wacom tablet for note-taking at university; seriously best investment for school I've ever made. I import lecture notes into OneNote and scribble right on them.

OneNote has a neat audio recording feature that will start a recording and sync with what you write. So after the lecture, I can click on something I wrote and it will play back the audio recording from that point.

Unfortunately, the mic on my tablet is absolute crap. I know I can purchase a separate external mic, but I wonder if there's a way to utilize the Passport as an audio capture device for OneNote, either through USB or via BT.

One less thing to purchase and based on your experience, it seems the Passport is more than capable for the task.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    05-20-15 03:26 PM
    Journalists should use it more if that's the case.
    05-20-15 04:29 PM
    Thank you. I'm going to take this a step further and do some research, but I doubt if the following is even possible.

I use a pennabled Wacom tablet for note-taking at university; seriously best investment for school I've ever made. I import lecture notes into OneNote and scribble right on them.

OneNote has a neat audio recording feature that will start a recording and sync with what you write. So after the lecture, I can click on something I wrote and it will play back the audio recording from that point.

Unfortunately, the mic on my tablet is absolute crap. I know I can purchase a separate external mic, but I wonder if there's a way to utilize the Passport as an audio capture device for OneNote, either through USB or via BT.

One less thing to purchase and based on your experience, it seems the Passport is more than capable for the task.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    So are you trying to convert the voice recording to writing format? If you are you should try BlackBerry voice dictation feature. It's very accurate and a lot of people have given it rave reviews.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 04:30 PM
    So are you trying to convert the voice recording to writing format? If you are you should try BlackBerry voice dictation feature. It's very accurate and a lot of people have given it rave reviews.
    If it's the same for BlackBerry Assistant, it's extremely slow.
    05-20-15 04:37 PM
    Same goes for audio quality with vids recorded by the Passport. Was at a stadium concert from a Dutch band called Chef'Special two weeks ago, viewed some vids on youtube that people had recorded using Samsungs and iPhones. Sound was very scratchy and especially low tones were cracking like hell.

Then I viewed the vids recorded with my Passport and sound was crystal clear!

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-20-15 04:50 PM
    @poi25, don't think what you're looking for is possible.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 04:50 PM
    Parrot app for me is the best, what is yours favorite app for record?
    05-20-15 06:12 PM
    Don't get it, how to record by using passport?

Posted via my sexy BB Passport
    05-20-15 07:51 PM

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    Doesn't wacom plug in with a usb? passport has otg so it might recognize it, and maybe driver can be installed? But then you have something like the note 4 :S with a larger writing area
    05-20-15 07:53 PM
    Use phone tap, a long press on the Volume Up button will start the sound recording and no one will ever notice that you are recording.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 08:08 PM
    Even my q10 voice recording is great the sound quality great

CB10 - Q10 - 10.3.2.680
    05-20-15 08:13 PM
    Maybe I was being confusing in my description but you guys all missed my point.

Imagine I'm taking notes in OneNote on my tablet. If I use the audio recording function in OneNote as well, my tablet will record the audio and sync it up with my handwriting in real time. I can go back and click on a word in my notes and it will start the recorded audio from that exact point.

The mic in my tablet is worthless and will research to see if I can use the Passport instead.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    05-20-15 08:23 PM
    Same for me and money well spent. I recorded every lecture I ever had through it but the z10 and passport did fantastic jobs of rendering the audio.

Posted via CB10
    thatplaybookguy likes this.
    05-20-15 09:03 PM
    seems the tweaks made over the 10.3.1 OS has enabled BB10 phones to achieve more voice recording clarity, well done!

but yeah, i compared my Z30 and my Passport doing the recording of our choir group (for future reference lol..) we stood in a circle roughly about 1 metre from the phone (both phones were at the centre of our "circle") and we started the recording using the same app, Parrot Pro at the same time. i set both phones to record on the m4a format.

guess what, on the Z30, the voice was clear but i had to crank up the volume till the max to reach my "audible" range to listen to how we sung but with the Passport, even a tiny whisper of my friend (yeah.. a "recording bomb") could be heard during the playback and the playback volume was so loud from the Passport's speakers, i had to set it to just 50% only. all my friends (who are mainly iOS & android users... ) were amazed.. and some even asked me to share the recordings to their phones lol..

ah yeah FYI, i put both phones FACE UP at that time of the recording.

so, a combination of the 10.3.1 OS, HAAC microphones, noise cancelling codec & sensitive mic frequency range add up to the formula.
    Superfly_FR and Larry Harper like this.
    05-20-15 09:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think what he's trying to do is match the written notes with the recorded voice given the timeline of when the note was taken relative to the recorded voice.

That is actually a very nice tool in note taking. Am just not sure BlackBerry can do this. Of if there is any app that can.

Posted via CB10
    gemoelle likes this.
    05-20-15 10:03 PM
    Remember app
    I think it's the same? Both use the microphones to record?

CB10 - Q10 - 10.3.2.680
    05-20-15 11:42 PM
    you can download onenote to your passport via snap
    05-21-15 06:51 AM
    Am I speaking Swahili or something? No one seems to understand what I'm trying to accomplish. Rereading my posts, I think I made it pretty clear what I'd like to do (in my opinion).

The responses are cracking me up.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    05-21-15 08:36 AM
39 12