Hi everyone, I am considering buying a BlackBerry Passport - probably via Amazon Germany since this is by far the easiest way in my area. Now I've come across that there are apparently a few different versions of the Passport which makes it rather difficult to me to decide which one I should choose. There is an original one (the black one), a red one, a white one and finally a silver edition. Rumours are running across the internet that the different versions are of different quality each, especially the silver edition is said to be the best of all. Is that really true? Do I have to renounce anything if I bought the black one instead of the silver edition? Thanks in advance for any advice and recommendation.

Different Passport-builds of different quality?-640_752265113.png

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 04:12 PM
    I cannot answer for the OG Passport but I have had the AT&T and SE version. The overall construction of the SE is stronger than the AT&T version, however even with that being said, I've exchanged the SE twice already due to screen lifting issue. Original purchase, the screen was lifted uneven on the left side. The first replacement has the right side raised and the plastic back panel had wiggle room. I am on my third SE and both left to right is slightly raised. Not once have I encountered this issue on the AT&T version. It is at a point where I do not want to bother for a 4th time due to the time and hassle. But it is a bother when your finger catches the slight raised edge. Also the plastic keyboard at the bottom is not stainless steal, and even the OEM flex shell can damage it due to the tightness of the case when placing or removing the case (not once dropped and removed case when at home). I didn't believe this could happen until it happened to me. For me, the AT&T version has the best build quality as everything is tight.

When I remove the case, I remove the top right corner first, then left corner, then vertically to remove the bottom corners. In the past, to put the case on I would do the top corners first (mistake) and snap the bottoms into the corners. This is how a chunk got removed from the plastic. If the hard case catches the edge of the plastic, it can remove a bit off. Now... I put the case on w/ the bottom first, then snap the top corners on (as there is more steel frame on top and the case will not hit the plastic back covering).

-AT&T version: overall better build quality, limited accessories.
    -SE version: better feel in hand (the textured back, all around edged steel for grip, better looking camera position).
    -The keys on both are the same so no difference in that area.

My two cents.

Different Passport-builds of different quality?-right-corner-damage-case2.jpg
    Last edited by gquan14; 09-14-15 at 04:58 PM.
    09-14-15 04:46 PM
    Well, the screen is slightly uneven on my white one, but not lifted, just looks a bit off.

My mom has a black one, but she only got it in June, because of the color I can't tell if the screen is even or not, but definitely no lift.

Very mild double typing on my white one. Started in July, hasn't really gotten any worse.

No double typing on the black one, however it is much newer.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 05:23 PM
    The Passport with the rounded corners is an ATT passport (locked!!!) so I doubt that it would work in Germany.

I have a flawless Passport first edition (bought from Amazon.de).

I don't know about the SE. I read in a german mobile illustrated that it has been created for "Asian market, espeacially India"... my face went o_O so I don't know if the bandwith of LTE is compatible...

Before you buy a Passport SE, please make some research about its compatibility in Germany.

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.1.2480; Germany.
    09-14-15 10:59 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Right Corner Damage from Case2.jpg 
Views:	998 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	371278
    Ouch... It looks like the Passport SE wouldn't handle a drop very well if a phone case did that much damage...
    09-14-15 11:07 PM
    I have the original one since almost launch day. No issues at all.

As far as the double typing issue, that has pretty much been resolved with the latest OS update so don't worry about that regardless of the hardware.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 11:22 PM
    Ouch... It looks like the Passport SE wouldn't handle a drop very well if a phone case did that much damage...
    Well not sure if it can handle a drop (knock on wood) but that's only the plastic chin. The photo you see was my second Passport, I've done two RMA advance exchanges already. I've also read others who have 'scratches' on the chin. Unfortunately for those I'm not sure what can be done. Funny, as the chin on AT&T version is original black, don't think that can be scratched.
    09-14-15 11:26 PM
    Honestly, even between two the same edition, there is a built quality difference... otherwise, none will experience this infamous 'screen lifting' issue for having the same edition...

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 11:30 PM
    Well not sure if it can handle a drop (knock on wood) but that's only the plastic chin. The photo you see was my second Passport, I've done two RMA advance exchanges already. I've also read others who have 'scratches' on the chin. Unfortunately for those I'm not sure what can be done. Funny, as the chin on AT&T version is original black, don't think that can be scratched.
    Is the Passport SE the only one that has a painted plastic chin? I don't mind plastic, but it'd drive me nuts if I accidentally scratched it and a different colored plastic is showing through underneath.

I was also considering the white Passport... Is that one painted as well or is the plastic itself white?
    Last edited by yyz321; 09-15-15 at 06:07 AM.
    09-15-15 05:51 AM
    doesnt matter which one you get, screen will lift, so make sure to get some super glue along with the phone

the screen on my passport started to lift after several months, i fixed it with $1 loctite. couldnt be arsed to send it back and be without a phone for weeks... also the replacement probably would have the same issue, so this is more permanent than a replace
    09-15-15 06:22 AM
    I have had mine since the launch event. Black

No screen listing. No issues. I'm happy

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 08:35 AM
    doesnt matter which one you get, screen will lift, so make sure to get some super glue along with the phone

the screen on my passport started to lift after several months, i fixed it with $1 loctite. couldnt be arsed to send it back and be without a phone for weeks... also the replacement probably would have the same issue, so this is more permanent than a replace
    What's a loctite?
    09-15-15 09:11 AM
    What's a loctite?
    the kind of adhesive blackberry should have used in the first place...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loctite
    09-15-15 09:14 AM
    the kind of adhesive blackberry should have used in the first place...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loctite
    Thanks for the info. I went straight to amazon to check it out. In order to use it, your screen had to had lifted significantly right? Otherwise how did you lift it to apply the loctite?
    09-15-15 09:21 AM
    Thanks for the info. I went straight to amazon to check it out. In order to use it, your screen had to had lifted significantly right? Otherwise how did you lift it to apply the loctite?
    mine was lifting in the upper left corner. i could easily lift it up with my fingernail, then i put a toothpick underneath it to hold it like that. then with another toothpick i applied some of the glue underneath the black part of the glass. then i just pushed the screen down for a few seconds and it was done. it hardens in just a few seconds, so you have to be quick and precise. make sure not to use too much otherwise when you push it down it may spread onto the side of your phone

im sure any super glue would work though. loctite is pretty known here, i could buy a bottle for less than a dollar at the local grocery store. i also it used before on many different material and it worked well
    09-15-15 09:38 AM