See a lot of comments on here about how great 10.3.1, especially compared to any 10.2 version out there.
    But nowhere have I found a comparison between 10.3 and 10.3.1
    Can anyone tell me what the major changes are between these two?

Posted from my monster machine, AKA the passport...
    Peter Johnson4 likes this.
    12-29-14 02:37 PM
    3.1 is more stable for most of us....
    12-29-14 02:40 PM
    I wouldn't download any leak of 10.3.1 yet. It has some serious problems with flickering screens and green bars appearing on some of the apps.

That being said, it does come with a nice set of features. I don't have it memorized but some I can recall.

1. Improved UI in Calendar App: the old calendar used to have a side bar showing the working time for each day. It was ugly. It is gone with the 10.3.1

2. Keyboard Shortcuts: this is the biggest upgrade IMHO. You can assign apps or functions to the keyboard keys. For example, pressing H will open Hub, T for twitter, C for compose, and L for Calendar. You can also assign specific tasks for example, Y for composing a text message to person x.

3. Better Android Runtime Screen Scaling: you have option of choosing three different options for the android apps.

4. LED notifications: the ability to customize LED colors for contacts comes built-in with the OS. Thus, eliminating the need to buy third party apps like BeBuzz or Hub++. One nice thing is that you can assign contact specific notifications for BBM contacts. All the third party app didn't have the capabilities to do this. I found that the built in version is good enough but not excellent. You will still have to get one of the third party app and the OS combine it to get the true customized contact LED experience.

I think that's all I can think of. I am sure others will have many more to add in.

Posted with my super duper BlackBerry Passport.
    divakar, brian4591 and thedose like this.
    12-29-14 04:12 PM
    of course every new iteration of the BB10 OS is more stable than the previous one and brings a more stable android runtime so i wont consider that...from all indications, 10.3.1 brings more features to the table and will take BB10 back to the days when all the devices are running on the same version of the OS....the android/iphone shortcoming of keeping different hardware on different OS creeping into BB10 is beginning to **** me off

the keyboard key assignment has already mentioned is noteworthy for the Q5/Q10 and Passport variants.
    12-29-14 04:23 PM
    I used an autoloader to install 1154 on my Passport and it's been flawless with no flickering At all. Been great for several weeks. I did not restore just started fresh. Not sure if it made a difference but I did not log into Amazon app store either. All android apps have come from snap and have been working great. Should be noted my android app use is limited as I don't use instagram netflix etc.

The android scaling on with 3.1 is much better and the keyboard shortcuts are great as well. Wouldn't want to go back without them at this point.

Passport on AT&T
    brian4591 likes this.
    12-29-14 04:45 PM
    10.3.1 will also bring back sound profiles we know from legacy OS devices. I guess there will also be some "hidden" improvements in the background.

Posted via CB10
    miketko likes this.
    12-29-14 04:51 PM
    I also installed 10.3.1.1154 on my passport and I had the screen flickering issues, so I went back to 10.3.0.1418. I love the extra features, but decided to just wait for the official OTA update which I am hoping is not to far into the future.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    brian4591 likes this.
    12-29-14 05:04 PM
    I wouldn't download any leak of 10.3.1 yet. It has some serious problems with flickering screens and green bars appearing on some of the apps.

That being said, it does come with a nice set of features. I don't have it memorized but some I can recall.

1. Improved UI in Calendar App: the old calendar used to have a side bar showing the working time for each day. It was ugly. It is gone with the 10.3.1

2. Keyboard Shortcuts: this is the biggest upgrade IMHO. You can assign apps or functions to the keyboard keys. For example, pressing H will open Hub, T for twitter, C for compose, and L for Calendar. You can also assign specific tasks for example, Y for composing a text message to person x.

3. Better Android Runtime Screen Scaling: you have option of choosing three different options for the android apps.

4. LED notifications: the ability to customize LED colors for contacts comes built-in with the OS. Thus, eliminating the need to buy third party apps like BeBuzz or Hub++. One nice thing is that you can assign contact specific notifications for BBM contacts. All the third party app didn't have the capabilities to do this. I found that the built in version is good enough but not excellent. You will still have to get one of the third party app and the OS combine it to get the true customized contact LED experience.

I think that's all I can think of. I am sure others will have many more to add in.

Thnx. Really interested in seeing #2 and 4 work its' wonders
    Although #3 is always a nice addition.

12-30-14 05:10 AM
    Question about Android app scaling in 10.3.1, and I am hoping it might apply not just to Android apps but any apps that weren't optimized for the 1:1 screen size:
    Can you run them in their original aspect ratio with black bars on the sides? I think this would make the experience of some apps more optimal (like the game Monument Valley, for example).

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    01-02-15 04:09 AM
    10.3.1 should be able to allow binding apps to specific keys on the keyboard, meaning for instance you can instantly open Twitter by pressing 'T' at homescreen (assuming it's binded to letter 'T') without having to scroll through your app pages.

This feature is demonstrated in JC's BlackBerry Passport satire video.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 04:21 AM
    I am on Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1949...where do I find these options? I haven't seen them when I load android apps. I still have hide the bar or show the bar, nothing else

Also, fwiw, I don't have any issues with screen flickering or bugginess in 10.3.1.1949. I really it seems snappier and more convenient. I like the pop up options for delete after reading a message in hub, and all the tips that come up as toasts in camera and other apps telling you about features you haven't discovered. Obv designed for people new to BlackBerry, which is good. Helpful, while not getting in the way.

I don't like some of the color decisions, especially the white bar on active frames. But that's superficial. For the most part it's great.

Also, it blends.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 04:14 PM
    Hi guys. Just wanted to know, is the version 10.3.1 brings the auto bcc back?

Cheers..

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 10:12 PM
    I am on Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1949...where do I find these options? I haven't seen them when I load android apps. I still have hide the bar or show the bar, nothing else

Also, fwiw, I don't have any issues with screen flickering or bugginess in 10.3.1.1949. I really it seems snappier and more convenient. I like the pop up options for delete after reading a message in hub, and all the tips that come up as toasts in camera and other apps telling you about features you haven't discovered. Obv designed for people new to BlackBerry, which is good. Helpful, while not getting in the way.

I don't like some of the color decisions, especially the white bar on active frames. But that's superficial. For the most part it's great.

Also, it blends.

Posted via CB10
    You don't get this scaling option on 16:9 devices. There's no need for it.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 10:58 PM
    Oh okay makes sense. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 10:32 PM

Thanks for this and OP thanks for asking the question. Was wondering what I was missing.

Posted via CB10
    silvkat likes this.
    01-05-15 12:31 AM
    Thanks for this and OP thanks for asking the question. Was wondering what I was missing.

Posted via CB10
    Yup, same here

01-05-15 06:12 AM
    Some Android apps that did not work on 10.3 will work on 10.3.1. Microsoft OneNote, for example. Also, Bluetooth music streaming is improved - track title and artist name are now transmitted from Android music apps, and transport controls (both the hardware buttons on the phone and Bluetooth controls) work for all Android music apps that I have tried, including Deezer, Spotify, and Tidal.
    01-07-15 11:01 AM