11-12-14 02:59 AM
67 123
tools
    This thread may be of interest for you. When will Verizon have the Passport? - Page 2 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Basically says the passport works on Verizon 4G/LTE but no 3G.
    Let's not confuse anyone. The Passport currently available is NOT practically usable on Verizon, and it likely never will be for the foreseeable future (next 2 years or so). So, bottom line is: if you want a Passport as your daily driver (not just wifi or using a hotspot on another device), you will have to switch to either T-Mobile (without wifi calling support) or AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    10-26-14 10:41 PM
    Not sure how the answer you posted is any better than "I don't know." Both leave the customer in limbo: wait or not.
    I disagree. "I don't know" implies that they have absolutely no knowledge of it, which is pretty ridiculous, and in a lot of cases, not true. It also technically means that if could be released in a month, two months, etc... If they just said "No," that's a definitive answer that I can make an educated decision based upon. Ie. Switching to AT&T. And even if they added the "but we may in the future," I still feel like I would be making a more educated choice. That's just my opinion.

Part of my frustration with this whole thing is how long I've been waiting for this phone, and then given the most vague answers about availability. That's very irritating. I guess I don't like being treated like that, as a loyal customer.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 12:01 AM
    This thread may be of interest for you. When will Verizon have the Passport? - Page 2 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Basically says the passport works on Verizon 4G/LTE but no 3G.
    Which post says that? The thread is full of speculation--both ways, but more posts lean towards no than yes. It's been discussed ad nauseam and tested by CB members, and the Passport does indeed not work on Verizon as a phone.
    10-27-14 12:05 AM
    [WARN]STAY ON TOPIC, PEOPLE![/WARN]

This isn't a thread about iPhone or anything else except whether you left your carrier so you could use a Passport.
    raino and Lendo like this.
    10-27-14 05:14 AM
    I made the switch from an unlimited data plan from Verizon. After talking with Verizon about the Passport they really had no idea and I eventually got a statement that the Passport will work in around 6 months when they start VoLTE. Not sure if that information is even accurate, but wasn't waiting on that rumor. Also, how long is it going to take for full VoLTE coverage across the US. With the moderate success of the Passport, they will likely carry the next interesting device or maybe BlackBerry will keep with the current plan of offering a phone that works on most carriers around the world without implementing CDMA. So far I'm running cheaper per month on AT&T. No issues switching. Went to a company store which is important, explained the situation, tried the Passport's IMEI on a new nano SIM, received LTE, chose a plan, and was on my way.

...just to add, I was very indecisive regarding the Passport and was going to refuse delivery, but my Z30 screen broke the night before so took it as a sign to take it. Best smartphone I've owned, bar none. Have no regrets. Also, was kind of in shock as Verizon was the only carrier to support the Z30 and they have many business customers. Thought they would definitely carry the Passport so who knows what will happen in a few months for those that can't switch or are that patient.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 07:46 AM
    I learned long ago to never switch carriers for a phone. I've done this before and left a carrier I was happy with because they didn't carry (X) phone. It ended up being a stupid decision which forced me ultimately to switch back. It does require patience but now for the most part the days of exclusivity are few and far between. I do think Verizon will end up getting the passport eventually and if you are happy with them and their service I wouldn't switch just because you like a particular phone. What happens when they get it and also get first dibs on the next touchscreen that Blackberry releases? You'll end up kicking yourself not to mention you could get worse service if you don't know how well they perform in your area.
    undone, sentimentGX4, btj and 1 others like this.
    10-27-14 08:01 AM
    I have thought about jumping, but will wait and see what Vz ends up doing. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, and bought my Z10 outright. Vz has always given me the best coverage as I used to spend a lot of time in frontier areas. Now that has changed, and AT&T gives good coverage in the areas where I spend most of my time. I am not a data hog, but have hung onto my grandfathered plan because my data use habits have been evolving and I want all the options. Besides, I have been very pleased with my Z10 since the latest update and am eager to see what it is like with 3.1. A naturally impatient person when it comes to toys, I am the most content with the Z10 I have been with any device. OK, except the battery.

I totally get why neither BB nor Vz will make a definitive statement about future devices. When you are negotiating and dancing the dance, it is unwise to either promise or deny. I know it is frustrating when you want to KNOW, but it is what it is.
    10-27-14 08:43 AM
    I learned long ago to never switch carriers for a phone. I've done this before and left a carrier I was happy with because they didn't carry (X) phone. It ended up being a stupid decision which forced me ultimately to switch back. It does require patience but now for the most part the days of exclusivity are few and far between. I do think Verizon will end up getting the passport eventually and if you are happy with them and their service I wouldn't switch just because you like a particular phone. What happens when they get it and also get first dibs on the next touchscreen that Blackberry releases? You'll end up kicking yourself not to mention you could get worse service if you don't know how well they perform in your area.

Not really, I can just switch back. It's not like I signed an annual contract with AT&T (since I had to buy the Passport from Amazon anyway). Your statement only applies if you switched to get a subsidized device through a carrier plan, but that doesn't apply to the Passport in the US. Like many have said, if Verizon ever gets their act together then it's likely we'll switch back.

In the mean time I'm paying less on AT&T and using the Passport now,.. I could die in a month or tomorrow, why wait due to some false hope, hesitation, or fear of change or let some suits a Verizon decided what I should or shouldn't use?

Posted via CB10
    SmileDahling and _tC like this.
    10-27-14 09:30 AM
    Not really, I can just switch back. It's not like I signed an annual contract with AT&T (since I had to buy the Passport from Amazon anyway). Your statement only applies if you switched to get a subsidized device through a carrier plan, but that doesn't apply to the Passport in the US. Like many have said, if Verizon ever gets their act together then it's likely we'll switch back.

In the mean time I'm paying less on AT&T and using the Passport now,.. I could die in a month or tomorrow, why wait due to some false hope, hesitation, or fear of change or let some suits a Verizon decided what I should or shouldn't use?

Posted via CB10
    That's true, it's just a hassle that I don't want to deal with. I prefer AT&T and would never switch to Verizon like I did in the past (for the Storm no less) because I can't stand the outdated "no SIM card" and "No voice and data" rules that they still currently have. I guess if the service is good for you and there aren't any contracts involved (which won't apply to everyone) then it could make sense, especially since the switch would be to AT&T and not switching to Verizon. I typically look at service coverage first before what phone I'm using because while the phone might appeal to me the service might be awful.

Case in point, for whatever reason people who use Verizon don't get very good service in my home. The get one bar to no service while I get full bars with AT&T. It's just little things like that that make me think twice about switching carriers just because they might have a phone that I like. But if the service is good and you aren't signing a contract then I guess it would make sense.

And in your case if Verizon gets it and you want to switch back you can't use the Passport you've already purchased on their network so you'll have to sell it, and then buy another one for Verizon. It's just a mess that I would rather not deal with but if it suits you I'm happy for you.
    10-27-14 09:49 AM
    No.

1) Don't like the Passports size or format... it's just not for me.

2) I'm with Verizon because of their coverage area, if I could live with any of the other guys coverage I would have switched long before the Passport. But I'm pretty much forced to pay the "premium" of having coverage where I need it - the phone is just an afterthought.
    10-27-14 10:07 AM
    That's true, it's just a hassle that I don't want to deal with. I prefer AT&T and would never switch to Verizon like I did in the past (for the Storm no less) because I can't stand the outdated "no SIM card" and "No voice and data" rules that they still currently have. I guess if the service is good for you and there aren't any contracts involved (which won't apply to everyone) then it could make sense, especially since the switch would be to AT&T and not switching to Verizon. I typically look at service coverage first before what phone I'm using because while the phone might appeal to me the service might be awful.

Case in point, for whatever reason people who use Verizon don't get very good service in my home. The get one bar to no service while I get full bars with AT&T. It's just little things like that that make me think twice about switching carriers just because they might have a phone that I like. But if the service is good and you aren't signing a contract then I guess it would make sense.

And in your case if Verizon gets it and you want to switch back you can't use the Passport you've already purchased on their network so you'll have to sell it, and then buy another one for Verizon. It's just a mess that I would rather not deal with but if it suits you I'm happy for you.
    I agree, and that probably made the switch to AT&T a little easier. I was getting tired of their uber restrictive operating model, especially given the fact that now BlackBerry sells unlocked gsm devices online (well, at least they're supposed to). Plus, I have family outside of the US and have never been able to give them handmedowns that fully worked. We also get much better AT&T signal in our street. So at the end of the day I felt like the move to AT&T, especially with no annual contract, was easily justifiable,.. even the Passport was just an excuse to stop thinking about it and actually do it.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 10:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. I switched from an unlimited plan and it took about 10 minutes in the AT&T store and I'm now paying less per month. When buying phones outright as I have been doing for years it is quite simple and can switch back to Verizon on a cheaper plan now if I wanted. Switching carriers is the last thing I would call a hassle. I actually switched to Verizon way back in the day for the Storm, which I loved and is my longest used phone to this date, from Sprint.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 10:22 AM

It took me 10 minutes to give my information and get a SIM card from AT&T after switching from Verizon. Definitely not a hassle for me. I can also switch back whenever as I have been buying phones outright as Verizon was forcing their unlimited data customers to do. Also, if I did switch back, my payments would be cheaper than before.

I also switched from Sprint to Verizon for the Storm. I loved that phone and had it for a long time. Was the best built phone and used it for years. Loved it. Never heard of CrackBerry until the BB10 launch so have no idea what all the complaints about the Storm have to do with. It worked well for me with zero problems. Goes to show how sometimes not having access to these sites can be a good thing!

Also, not sure where you are getting the no SIM card or Voice/Data on Verizon? I have a credit alert on my account and my Z30 screen broke the night before I received the Passport and in order for me to switch I needed a working phone so when the credit bureaus called my number I could verify that I am really at AT&T. I accomplished this by taking the SIM card out of my Z30 and placing it in my father's Z10 so I could receive phone calls on my number. Putting my Verizon SIM card in his phone turned it into my phone as far as Verizon is concerned.

I can see when some people need to pay extra or use a carrier subsidy to pay for the phone over 2 years, but it is roughly the same and can be cheaper to just purchase the device outright upfront and receive $15 off per month as I am now with AT&T. If I upped my data, they'd give me $25/month off... this is for BYOD and that adds up. Verizon and AT&T are similar in coverage and I'm in the northeast so basically LTE everywhere from everyone anyway so didn't bother even checking their map lol.

Anyway it likely took me about the same time to switch carriers as it did to create this post, but I will go where the device I want is, as I did with the Storm. It is the carrier's loss in the end.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 10:45 AM
    Passport bought, shipped and currently in transit. When it arrives on the 29th I'm canceling my Verizon service and switching to ATT.

No real hardship for me since I'm not on a grandathered unlimited data plan and I don't have a contract (and bought the passport outright from amazon). Easy.

Posted via my beautiful Q10 running. 1052
    10-27-14 12:25 PM
    I wonder if att would buy out the last few months of a couple VZ contracts...

Time to check att coverage maps?

VoLTE cannot get here quick enough for VZ. Is the Passport going to support that feature?

Posted via CB10
    Isn't Verizon CDMA only???? And don't hold your breath for ATT to buy out your contract so you can get a Passport! I bought an unlocked 9900 on ebay so I could sign up pay-as-you-go with ATT and get some idea what to expect in preparation to get a Passport, because their nearest tower is 5 miles from my home office - I need call quality for interviews (am a writer) and I have (non-BB phone) on Sprint (tower is less than 1/4 mile away) - the bottom line is that the guys at ATT in the nearest town (I live in rural Virginia) said they knew nothing about carrying Passports in the store, they thought it would be special order only and forget any package deals for signing up. So much for ATT being on the Passport bus! I have just as good call quality with the 9900 here as I have with the Sprint smartphone and eventually I will jump to ATT for everything.

Two Decembers ago, I left VZW after a really long time - maybe 15 years - it was time for a divorce - worst customer service. Sprint is okay but runs CDMA only and you can only BYOD if it's a Sprint phone - just like VZW. I'm tired of being told what to use, what to buy, what to do.

I want the Passport, but I'm willing to wait until the various bugs are sorted out and the initial stampede has calmed to a restless milling in circles. I am quite certain that, when the time comes, I will be buying an unlocked Passport and taking it to ATT. It would be just short of miraculous if they ever ever offer a deal on a Passport with a 2-year sign-up, but I think that GMS towers might just be stronger. I have no clue about TMO (no towers out my way at all, so a total TMO dead zone), but ATT does okay for my 9900, even being five miles away in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mts. Go figure.

Leave VZW if you really want a Passport - buy an unlocked phone outright. CARPE DIEM with the phone of your dreams!
    Last edited by PonyCrazyKid; 10-27-14 at 05:36 PM.
    10-27-14 05:21 PM
    What is the cost to cancel an existing contract with Verizon, assuming you haven't moved into the month-to-month not-under-contract-whatever-you-call-it period?
    I believe it's $325 minus $5 for each month of contract you've fulfilled (so after one year, your ETF would be $265.) I'll double check and edit my post if this isn't right.

Edit: I was wrong. It's $350 minus $10 per month.
    Last edited by raino; 10-27-14 at 05:49 PM.
    10-27-14 05:34 PM
    What is the cost to cancel an existing contract with Verizon, assuming you haven't moved into the month-to-month not-under-contract-whatever-you-call-it period?
    My wife had about a month left on her contract with a broken phone and they wouldn't let her upgrade 21 days early! So she switched to ATT with me when I got my passport. They charged her 130 to cancel. Couldn't leave vzw fast enough after the way their customer service handled everything with her broken phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 05:42 PM
    I switched from att to verizon for the Q10 when verizon allowed preorders and att still had not mentioned the Q10.

So now I'm going to wait a bit before deciding to switch back haha.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 06:38 PM
    I will. Been with VZW for many years since graduation from college. I'm more ticked as a customer being told what I can and can't have as a previous poster mentioned. Will definitely buy the device direct...just have a few months remaining on my contract at VZW. Love my Z10...minus the battery issues...but time to move on from Big Red I believe...
    10-27-14 06:50 PM
    Long time Sprint customer here, over 15 years. We are leaving Sprint the day Passport arrives. After researching voice signal and coverage, AT&T will be the best option due to hubby's remote work locations. Sprint consistently does not have service or is roaming in those areas. We were going to wait for the Classic on VZW but the 30gb data and better voice coverage has swayed us to the passport and AT&T.

Can't wait til the passport arrives! Ordered from Amazon, has not shipped yet.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 07:12 PM
    Isn't Verizon CDMA only????
    No. They have LTE and xLTE for data. CDMA is for voice on most phones and registering on their network(as I understand). They are in the process of rolling out VOLTE. ... I'm waiting for VZW to release the passport.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    10-27-14 07:22 PM
    That was my takeaway from the post near bottom of pg2 where the poster says they bought Passport, tried it on verizon and it worked except in areas with 3G only. I may be misreading that, the grammar was in need of some help.
    I think you're referring to the last post. It's worded a little weird, but it does say "Bad news is that the passport is a no go on Verizon." Then he makes an assumption, which is, at best, incomplete.

Here is at one of at least two or three threads that discuss ways/attempts of getting this phone to work on Verizon: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...esults-970355/
    10-28-14 08:33 PM
    I believe it's $325 minus $5 for each month of contract you've fulfilled (so after one year, your ETF would be $265.) I'll double check and edit my post if this isn't right.

Edit: I was wrong. It's $350 minus $10 per month.
    Thanks for this, one of my reasons for holding out. That and I never buy to first launch. I agree with the others who recommend buying phone out right then take it to get a sim for a carrier. Over time it is cheaper and $20-30 a month is something I can use elsewhere.
    10-28-14 09:11 PM
    Verizon is doing nobody any favors. Pretty sure we've had their service or the predecessor for like ten years.

Considering going to at&t for iPhone and passport and dropping my VZ plans to the lowest possible level.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 09:29 PM
    No. They have LTE and xLTE for data. CDMA is for voice on most phones and registering on their network(as I understand). They are in the process of rolling out VOLTE. ... I'm waiting for VZW to release the passport.

Okay - thanks for that info - but I live in rural area and 3G only out here. Sprint tower just about next door and they try to provide customer service. I'm very happy to have the 9900 with ATT - FIVE miles away and great call quality, and I look forward to buying an unlocked Passport and signing it up with ATT. After 15 years of the worst customer service with VZW, I doubt 'big red' could tempt me to return... free WIFI and no data limit for life, perhaps, but still, I don't think so -- you really do get what you pay for!

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    10-29-14 10:31 AM
67 123