I got my Passport last weekend and ended my 10+ year relationship with VZW on Monday. My wife did the same bringing her Verizon branded z10 over with no issues. Since we brought our own devices, we have no contract and are saving a lot of money too. It was an easy decision given those factors and the portability of phone numbers today. We can always easily go back if things don't work out with AT&T.

Love my Passport. BlackBerry has a winner with this one.
    10-29-14 03:18 PM
    I did, and I am noticing a difference in service... I miss VZW
    kevets likes this.
    11-10-14 04:31 PM
    Out of curiosity, what service were you using at verizon that you're missing?
    I've noticed my coverage in doors and in general are not as good on AT&T then with VZW.
    11-11-14 07:44 AM
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 07:56 AM
    I think it's a mistake to change carriers just for a phone, especially if you're happy with your current service. I did this once - left AT&T for Sprint and the Palm Pre. I know, right? I was freaked out about AT&T having the U.S. exclusive on the Passport, but this device is so different I'm almost glad I didn't have the chance to jump on it sigh-unseen. Now, having said that, when AT&T finally has the Passport in stock and on display, I plan to fondle it extensively. Some will characterize my handling of the Passport as "excessive" and perhaps a bit "creepy." Others will watch me with the demo unit and say, "That's just wrong."

I'm constantly trying new devices and new platforms. BlackBerry, iOS, WP, and Android. I'd love to try Sailfish but Jolla only makes European hardware and I'm on Verizon. Somehow I always come back to my beloved BlackBerry though. I'll take a long hard look at the Classic when it's eventually released.
    11-11-14 09:11 AM
    My wife had about a month left on her contract with a broken phone and they wouldn't let her upgrade 21 days early! So she switched to ATT with me when I got my passport. They charged her 130 to cancel. Couldn't leave vzw fast enough after the way their customer service handled everything with her broken phone.

Posted via CB10
    You must have talked to the wrong person. Anytime I talked to their cancellation department I was referred back to get a better deal or credit to my account. Definitely something to do over the phone.

When I finally left my unlimited data on Verizon and switched to AT&T, they offered me a month to come back as a win back customer with a cheaper unlimited plan (possibly due to my WiFi usage increasing and barely using 2GB/month). Have no idea, but still have my Passport and happy with AT&T just as I was with Verizon.

Would do it again for the Passport, just as I left Sprint for the Storm. No problems there either, but I'll go where the device I want is. That was in my pre-CB days when the only phones I liked were BlackBerry or Motorola. Looking forward to the red Passport to be in my hands!

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 04:47 PM
    Vzw and blackberry customer for 10 years. Purchased an unlocked Passport from shop blackberry. Played with it for a week, fell in love, made the switch to att. No issues thus far. I'll only come back to Vzw if they get the passport.

Posted via CB10
    I am wrestling with that same decision now. But I am rocking a Z30 with Verizon now, so I am not in a dire situation yet
    11-11-14 07:27 PM
    I personally just don't see the big dilemma in changing carriers. I have always went where I could get the device I wanted without settling on anything less.

Those with unlimited data can be understandable, but Verizon and AT&T offer about the same coverage and if Verizon has the next BlackBerry without AT&T, I will cancel my AT&T service and go back. I also think some with unlimited data don't need it. I kept my old plan just for peace of mind, but realized I have WiFi at home, at work, at friends houses, and likely in my next car.

Holding on to that plan and missing out on enjoying the Passport definitely would not have been worth it. Times change, so will plans and everything else. Don't let carriers hold you hostage for no real reason. Of course there are some exceptions, but for the rest get the device you want and use it on the carrier that works for you and the device.

People holding onto hope that Verizon will have the Passport is fine, but I can assure you all that you are missing on a great experience from BlackBerry with up to date hardware specs to back it up this time. While some have been enjoying the Passport since September/October, including myself, others will stay frustrated until CDMA is phased out and the Passport 2 information will be starting to leak.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 07:52 PM
    T-Mobile will buy out your contract.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 08:01 PM
    T-Mobile will buy out your contract.

Posted via CB10
    Yes! But won't att do the same? You have two GSM choices depending on which service works best in your area.

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    11-11-14 08:11 PM
    Yes! But won't att do the same? You have two GSM choices depending on which service works best in your area.
    Only TMO does ETF buyouts on a nationwide scale. Well...Sprint does too, but they're CDMA.
    11-11-14 08:44 PM
    Only TMO does ETF buyouts on a nationwide scale. Well...Sprint does too, but they're CDMA.
    I thought AT&T was doing the same? After all they were the first carrier to implement contract buyouts. Except they were only buying out T-Mobile contracts, not Verizon or Sprint. This is what compelled T-mobile execs to implement the same sort of deal, except they buyout contracts from all the major carriers, Verizon, AT&T and Sprint. AT&T didn't adjust to a T-mobile like deal? I thought they did.

11-11-14 08:57 PM
    I thought AT&T was doing the same? After all they were the first carrier to implement contract buyouts. Except they were only buying out T-Mobile contracts, not Verizon or Sprint. This is what compelled T-mobile execs to implement the same sort of deal, except they buyout contracts from all the major carriers, Verizon, AT&T and Sprint. AT&T didn't adjust to a T-mobile like deal? I thought they did.
    Not this time around. I think I remember what you're talking about--it was around 2006-08, when they were "buying out" (i.e. crediting customers the ETF) TMO contracts, right? But even before that, Cingular was doing this, at least on a smaller scale in markets like Minneapolis/St. Paul, and this must have been the early 2000s. This time, it's just TMO, and Sprint who just started it recently.
    11-11-14 09:15 PM
    Not this time around. I think I remember what you're talking about--it was around 2006-08, when they were "buying out" (i.e. crediting customers the ETF) TMO contracts, right? But even before that, Cingular was doing this, at least on a smaller scale in markets like Minneapolis/St. Paul, and this must have been the early 2000s. This time, it's just TMO, and Sprint who just started it recently.
    No, I'm talking about late 2013 into early 2014. Not that long ago! Lol

11-11-14 09:42 PM
    No, I'm talking about late 2013 into early 2014. Not that long ago! Lol
    Ah. I see lol. Hmm...I'm not aware of anything that recent. TMO launched their program ("UnCarrier 4.0") in January of this year, and before these UnCarriers, they were hemorrhaging customers. Maybe it was a regional thing? Because nationwide, AT&T didn't need to do anything so drastic.
    11-11-14 10:41 PM
    Ah. I see lol. Hmm...I'm not aware of anything that recent. TMO launched their program ("UnCarrier 4.0") in January of this year, and before these UnCarriers, they were hemorrhaging customers. Maybe it was a regional thing? Because nationwide, AT&T didn't need to do anything so drastic.
    Wow, maybe it was just a regional thing. Interesting. Never considered that. Thanks for the insight. I was hearing some crazy back and forth commercials on the radio. Att vs tmo, tmo vs att. They were at one another's throats in the commercials. Where I live it doesn't matter whether you have Verizon, AT&T or T-mobile. They're all good here. Except Sprint. Sprint stinks. Everywhere.

11-11-14 11:29 PM
    You must have talked to the wrong person. Anytime I talked to their cancellation department I was referred back to get a better deal or credit to my account. Definitely something to do over the phone.

When I finally left my unlimited data on Verizon and switched to AT&T, they offered me a month to come back as a win back customer with a cheaper unlimited plan (possibly due to my WiFi usage increasing and barely using 2GB/month). Have no idea, but still have my Passport and happy with AT&T just as I was with Verizon.

Would do it again for the Passport, just as I left Sprint for the Storm. No problems there either, but I'll go where the device I want is. That was in my pre-CB days when the only phones I liked were BlackBerry or Motorola. Looking forward to the red Passport to be in my hands!

Posted via CB10
    We definitely didn't get the right person, but we talked to 4 different people and none of them wanted to help so we didn't want to deal with it anymore. Plus the ATT customer service has been better than vzw ever was. We're both happy on ATT and glad we made the switch.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 02:59 AM
67 123