AT&T finally replacing the phone, apparently a bad rep the first time. Not happy with the process, but I am glad it has been handled by AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-21-15 05:43 PM
    Well done. Meanwhile, BlackBerry denies issue?

Posted via CB10
    janzeeschuimers likes this.
    05-21-15 06:39 PM
    Blackberry wouldn't tell me anything and has yet to respond again. I still have to wait and see if they try and charge me 500 bucks for this clear flaw in the device.

Fingers crossed, taking photos before I send it back so I have proof of how good it's condition is, if I have to file a dispute.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 07:16 PM
    Had this phone since Nov 2014. No screen lifting to date. Fingers crossed.

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.2.680 / Telus
    05-21-15 07:38 PM
    Got the replacement today, hope it lasts longer than 4 months.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 04:24 PM
    I just noticed that my device is having this issue on the bottom right...

I guess I'll be calling BlackBerry for a replacement next week.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 06:53 PM
    Can someone please post pictures of their PP screen lifting. If this is so wide spread, why is it that we have not seen one single photo. The only Passport screen lifting I've seen was in a video I've watched on you tube after a drop test where the guy dropped the Passport out the window of a Ferrari moving at 140 clicks an hour...

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 07:09 PM
    ... after a drop test where the guy dropped the Passport out the window of a Ferrari moving at 140 clicks an hour...
    What a puss, he should've been driving the Ferrari a lot faster than that.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    05-23-15 07:21 PM
    Did BlackBerry fix the screen lift issue?-img_20150522_154546.jpg
    Did BlackBerry fix the screen lift issue?-img_20150522_154537.jpg

As you can see, in my case, it's the top right hand corner. It's hard to keep clean when it's raised up and the light bleeds through in the body glove case. I took pics of everything and the rest before I sent the device back. Just in case they try to say it was damaged by a drop or some garbage to get out of the warranty.

I can push it back down, but in just a little bit of time it's raised up again.
    I hope this replacement turns out better than the last. I've only had the phone since February and it's never been dropped and has been in a case the whole time.
    Posted via CB10
    janzeeschuimers likes this.
    05-23-15 07:43 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150522_154546.jpg 
Views:	1137 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	354226
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150522_154537.jpg 
Views:	1136 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	354227

As you can see, in my case, it's the top right hand corner. It's hard to keep clean when it's raised up and the light bleeds through in the body glove case. I took pics of everything and the rest before I sent the device back. Just in case they try to say it was damaged by a drop or some garbage to get out of the warranty.

I can push it back down, but in just a little bit of time it's raised up again.
    I hope this replacement turns out better than the last. I've only had the phone since February and it's never been dropped and has been in a case the whole time.
    Posted via CB10
    Is this the new Passport with the rounded corners? If so, this just goes to show that its not the fault of the I-Beam frame on the standard device, but Chens decision to use substandard adhesives.

My red passport fell apart like this within about a week.

I am in the process of ensuring all staff in my company use Blackberry phones (the OS is VERY secure) - but we cant be dealing with such low quality, so I think I will get our CTO to look at halting this and take a look at the Blackphone 2.

Chen, under your "leadership" BB has sold fewer handsets than under any other CEO. (anyone doubting this, check the figures)

"To spoil the ship for a ha’porth of tar"

Such a shame.
    05-23-15 10:52 PM
    Just contacted AT&T, they don't honor anything unless it's stated as a problem in their system. The lifting screen is not one of them. Apparently att sells worthless warranties and refuses to replace unless you pay for an insurance claim or 500 compliance fee... the cs rep also said they had not been notified by blackberry that this was even an issue! They said the only issue was a hot battery for the classic while charging.

I'm gonna keep after this with AT&T! Just because it's not a problem in the system doesn't mean it doesn't exist! It should be treated as any other defect and honored, otherwise what in the heck is the point of a warranty?

Posted via CB10
    Gosh, I had trouble with Att and my Q10. Ended up fixing it myself by replacing the keyboard. Never thought I'd miss Verizon.

Anyway, I'm getting really tired of BB's build quality issues. Worst in the industry.

The one downside of Chen and his trying to turn the company around by using old parts and substandard manufacturing processes. I'd bet they've lost more money on returns of defective units than on the money saved by poor quality control/materials/design. I know I've returned 4 Passports and 1 Classic due to defects on day one. Though the double-typing on the q10 has been bad too.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 09:19 AM
    It's kinda ridiculous the QC on these Passports.

This is the 3rd Passport I'm on. I went through 3 Passports when I first bought. 2 of them had defective ambient light sensors.

Now the 3rd one has developed this screen issue. Weak.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 05:14 PM
    Is the issue of screen lifting a direct result from being exposed to heat or being bent/twisted while in pockets? Has anyone tabulated the results from such conditions?

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 08:58 PM
    Is the issue of screen lifting a direct result from being exposed to heat or being bent/twisted while in pockets? Has anyone tabulated the results from such conditions?

Posted via CB10
    Well, my AT&T passport gets pretty hot in the top right hand corner. That's the same corner my screen lifted in. The volume and power button both, on every os, get pretty hot too. I'd pretty much bet, in my case anyway, that it has been a heat issue.

I just reloaded my os from scratch and still gets warm. Today I was doing yard work and it unlocked in my pocket, I didn't know it till I felt it getting hot and I looked at it. It had multiple apps launched and was super hot, same corner.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 09:30 PM
    You have to disable the 'Swipe to Wake' function if you will put your Passport in any tight (or even a little loose) pockets.

Somehow, our Passport has developed this so-called 'claustrophobia' that it is panicking and trying to dial 911 when placed in tight and enclosed space but due to darkness, it randomly activates other apps or games.

And disabling the 'Swipe to Wake' function is like giving our Passport its own tranquilizers...

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 10:18 PM
    The fundamental problem is not due to the frame, its as a result of the adhesive used not being appropriate for the task. Blackberry are aware of the huge number of returns as they scan all forums and clearly have to deal with the products sent back, but they don't care. Their main concern is to brush any complaints under the carpet, hide the fact that they are selling even fewer phones now than ever in history and want to sell off the scraps to the Chinese.

All the users can go and rot as far as the board are concerned, its all about them selling off property, sacking everyone to make it look good on paper.

Sorry for the bad news, Blackberry is finished. Don't fall for the lie "we are focusing on our core market" - yeah, so are Samsung and Apple - and their phones don't disintegrate - or, if there are any issues, they admit them and resolve them. BB does not have a snowballs chance in hell.

Just my opinion of course, but I don't see BB being about in two years.

As ever - the mentally ill and fanboys need not reply as I, nor any sane person will not respond!

Cheers,

Chris.
    dejanh likes this.
    05-24-15 11:10 PM
    The fundamental problem is not due to the frame, its as a result of the adhesive used not being appropriate for the task. Blackberry are aware of the huge number of returns as they scan all forums and clearly have to deal with the products sent back, but they don't care. Their main concern is to brush any complaints under the carpet, hide the fact that they are selling even fewer phones now than ever in history and want to sell off the scraps to the Chinese.

All the users can go and rot as far as the board are concerned, its all about them selling off property, sacking everyone to make it look good on paper.

Sorry for the bad news, Blackberry is finished. Don't fall for the lie "we are focusing on our core market" - yeah, so are Samsung and Apple - and their phones don't disintegrate - or, if there are any issues, they admit them and resolve them. BB does not have a snowballs chance in hell.

Just my opinion of course, but I don't see BB being about in two years.

As ever - the mentally ill and fanboys need not reply as I, nor any sane person will not respond!

Cheers,

Chris.
    BlackBerry has many many assets. Hopefully they remain in handsets as it helps sell their end to end security software. BlackBerry has many security patents. QNX is everywhere. BlackBerry is now profitable as a company and will soon be showing growth as revs stabilize along with BES12 including carrier uptake. Not to mention the cash hoard.

Unless they get a $20B offer and the board approves BlackBerry isn't going anywhere. Grossly undervalued. Also, Chen has stated that there will be a consumer push once they are profitable (which they currently are) and revs are growing and offsetting the BIS decline. I'm unsure as to whether or not he'll be able to make a deal with Google for Services or what, but he is interested in handsets and in his most recent interview stated that he expects to grow the handset division.

With innovation and a new form factor there will be issues. I have not experienced any, but I'm sure that the adhesive may be fine on a different phone with the "normal" size and form factor. The Passport is one of a kind and should be treated as such.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 12:41 AM
    What type of adhesive was used and what is standard? just interested to know for my own purposes
    05-25-15 09:17 AM
    I've been saying basically right from launch how poor the quality of these phones really is, and I sure got lambasted for it. Regardless, it really looks like there won't be any BlackBerry devices soon so this is all a moot point.
    05-25-15 12:01 PM
    My passport only gets hot when using the car charger or PlayBook charger. So i'm not using either of those any more and it is NOT hot.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 01:25 PM
    I've been saying basically right from launch how poor the quality of these phones really is, and I sure got lambasted for it. Regardless, it really looks like there won't be any BlackBerry devices soon so this is all a moot point.
    You and me both. That's how it always is with a new launch.

Build quality got better within a few months, but the biggest Passport issues are due to poor engineering and design. Ugh, and I want another...

But for the price, it's got such garbage build quality.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 12:53 AM
    Hmm... after reading the posts I think I'm going to start changing up a few things:

When I take off the body glove case on my AT&T Passport it'll be from the bottom, not the top corners.

Charge on a lower amp charger to keep heat low.

Keep screen brightness to lowest possible I can use; again, for heat reduction.

I will also try to not put the phone in my trouser pockets to avoid bending it.

These seem to be some preventive measures, well, aside from the weak adhesive, to keep the screen from lifting.

Passport 10.3.2.680

Edit:

I know it doesn't really answer the question originally asked but it might prove to be useful to some users to minimize the occurrence of the screen lifting.
    05-27-15 09:53 AM
    Hmm... after reading the posts I think I'm going to start changing up a few things:

When I take off the body glove case on my AT&T Passport it'll be from the bottom, not the top corners.

Charge on a lower amp charger to keep heat low.

Keep screen brightness to lowest possible I can use; again, for heat reduction.

I will also try to not put the phone in my trouser pockets to avoid bending it.

These seem to be some preventive measures, well, aside from the weak adhesive, to keep the screen from lifting.

Passport 10.3.2.680

Edit:

I know it doesn't really answer the question originally asked but it might prove to be useful to some users to minimize the occurrence of the screen lifting.
    You should just never turn your phone on. Better yet, don't use it at all. Total heat reduction.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    kanungoash likes this.
    05-27-15 10:02 AM
    Or maybe just use the landline?

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 12:41 PM
    My passport gets fairly hot in top right corner sometimes. I use house charger, car charger. carrying case( just a small Crown Royal soft bag) then toss in my man bag with a butch of junk. Sometimes just put in shirt pocket, front pants pocket, front car passenger seat, between my leg and console when charging with passenger aboard.
    Thank goodness I've never had a screen lifting issue yet. Sorry to hear this. Bought my Passport on Mar. 22 /2015 in Western Canada and use it non-stop. It's rock solid.... knock on wood!

Posted via CB10
    BRS64 likes this.
    05-27-15 02:07 PM
139 ... 23456