I'm interested if BlackBerry acted on the obviously serious and widespread issue: screen lift on the Passport. Did they ever bother to fix this on a production line? Did the recently manufactured Passports (Jan-Mar 2015) get rid of this issue or did BlackBerry choose to ignore the problem and keep sending those replacements?

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk
    04-15-15 03:24 PM
    They fixed it with the latest OS update. It was not a manufacturing problem simply an OS problem. I havent had any screen flickering since the last update.

Posted via International Passport
    ominaxe likes this.
    04-15-15 03:55 PM
    They fixed it with the latest OS update. It was not a manufacturing problem simply an OS problem. I havent had any screen flickering since the last update.

Did you even read the title?...

SMH

Posted via CB10
    gvs1341, Conan69 and ProjectBrett like this.
    04-15-15 03:56 PM
    Did Passport have a screen lift issue?

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    alb101 likes this.
    04-15-15 04:00 PM
    Yes I read it I assumed that you thought screen lift was causing screen flickering since I have never heard of the passport screen lifting. Dont give me "smh" when I simply misunderstood what you were asking since I have never heard or seen anyone complain about screen lifting.
    04-15-15 04:05 PM
    I am really sure they just ignored the problem!...no wait, it was all the fault of "shopblackberry.com" ...
    04-15-15 04:13 PM
    Yes I read it I assumed that you thought screen lift was causing screen flickering since I have never heard of the passport screen lifting. Dont give me "smh" when I simply misunderstood what you were asking since I have never heard or seen anyone complain about screen lifting.

These are just a few I found doing a 30 search, it's been discussed on these forums ad nauseam.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=967542

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1000852

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1008684

Posted via CB10
    FCSC likes this.
    04-15-15 04:28 PM
    I didn't know it was wide spread. There have been some complaints on here but I don't think it's been a huge issue.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    04-15-15 04:30 PM
    These are just a few I found doing a 30 search, it's been discussed on these forums ad nauseam.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=967542

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1000852

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1008684

Posted via CB10
    As you are seeing, every comment on here including mine is with people who had no idea that this was a widespread issue like youre making it sound. The pp is one of the best built phones ever and imho I think anyone who complains about its built quality is either a little girl or just a big pessimist.

04-15-15 04:42 PM
    For deletion.
    04-15-15 04:43 PM
    Indeed. Yay

Posted by my fabulous red Passport
    04-15-15 04:48 PM
    Lol
    04-15-15 05:04 PM
    I didn't know this was a widespread issue. Mine has it, but I assumed it was rare. What bugs me more is the back "lifting" issue. The rear is clearly coming detached just above and to the left of the BB logo and it creates a really annoying "clicking" sound whenever I lift my finger.
    04-15-15 07:27 PM
    Definitely not wide spread but it must be frustrating for the small number and few this has happened to. All devices have a small percentage of owners with such odd defects and BBRY is not different. It always amazed me how some try and make a mountain out of an ant hole. Screen lifting by no means is widespread.

Posted CB10->BB Passport
    04-16-15 12:33 AM
    Just noticed this issue on my red passport, it's minimal but now annoys me every time I look at my phone

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 12:39 AM
    The 'screen lifting' issue is real. I've experienced it myself after using my Passport for over a month. I brought my Passport to Axiom (BlackBerry Official Service Centre) and they fixed it. As I was talking to the technician guy, I've learned that they are using some sort of double sided tape to fix the issues. But I was having doubt on this fix.

After a week, the screen begin to lift again as I can notice bleeding of light from the side of the unit when using it in a dark room. So, I returned again to the same service centre. This time, the tech said that I have option to send back the unit, then they will send it to their main service centre. If they have new stock, they can replace it. He called their main service centre and unfortunately, they don't have stock right now. To cut the story short, it will probably take more than a month or two to replace my unit. The tech also asked if I have problem with 'over heating' because this is one of the most common problems they are also receiving. And when I mentioned that I haven't experienced that in spite of so many Android apps / games I've already installed (including 'Google Play'), he said that my unit is quite good except for that screen lifting issue - which made me think twice if I want to get another unit (regardless it is new) and take the risk of having another problem than screen lifting.

I've met another Passport user which also having the same problem and he told me how he fixed the issue by himself. I did what he suggested and happy that screen lifting issue seems to be permanently solved! I've been using my Passport for almost a month now and there is no sign of screen lifting problem.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 01:01 AM
    The 'screen lifting' issue is real. I've experienced it myself after using my Passport for over a month. I brought my Passport to Axiom (BlackBerry Official Service Centre) and they fixed it. As I was talking to the technician guy, I've learned that they are using some sort of double sided tape to fix the issues. But I was having doubt on this fix.

After a week, the screen begin to lift again as I can notice bleeding of light from the side of the unit when using it in a dark room. So, I returned again to the same service centre. This time, the tech said that I have option to send back the unit, then they will send it to their main service centre. If they have new stock, they can replace it. He called their main service centre and unfortunately, they don't have stock right now. To cut the story short, it will probably take more than a month or two to replace my unit. The tech also asked if I have problem with 'over heating' because this is one of the most common problems they are also receiving. And when I mentioned that I haven't experienced that in spite of so many Android apps / games I've already installed (including 'Google Play'), he said that my unit is quite good except for that screen lifting issue - which made me think twice if I want to get another unit (regardless it is new) and take the risk of having another problem than screen lifting.

I've met another Passport user which also having the same problem and he told me how he fixed the issue by himself. I did what he suggested and happy that screen lifting issue seems to be permanently solved! I've been using my Passport for almost a month now and there is no sign of screen lifting problem.

Posted via CB10
    Would you mind to share what solution you take to fix those lifting problem?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-16-15 01:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes what was your solution?

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 01:24 AM
    As he suggested, we can fix it using 'super glue' or 'mighty bond'. Use the tip of a toothpick to avoid scratching your screen when applying the glue. Trim the tip of the toothpick (if you had to) then apply a very thin layer of glue inserting it between gaps. Use clothes while clamping and pressing the screen to the base to cure the glue. And that's it!

Honestly, I would take this solution rather than returning my unit (even for new unit) which is already proven having no OS and hardware problems plus the number of hours I've spent loading from back-up and side loading of Google Play including some Android apps / games - not to mention the month of getting replacement.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 01:59 AM
    If you call BlackBerry you can generate a ticket and send it to be either exchanged, or pay for another one and they'll send you a box to send it back.

It's due to the manufacturing of the early builds. Glue degrades after excessive heat, and also the design flaw in the I-Beam frame

If you talk to blackberry and escalate it quick, they're pretty cool.

Shredding the  BlackBerry Passport
    04-16-15 02:03 AM
    had my passport since november and have luckily not seen this issue.
    04-16-15 11:28 AM
    As he suggested, we can fix it using 'super glue' or 'mighty bond'. Use the tip of a toothpick to avoid scratching your screen when applying the glue. Trim the tip of the toothpick (if you had to) then apply a very thin layer of glue inserting it between gaps. Use clothes while clamping and pressing the screen to the base to cure the glue. And that's it!

Honestly, I would take this solution rather than returning my unit (even for new unit) which is already proven having no OS and hardware problems plus the number of hours I've spent loading from back-up and side loading of Google Play including some Android apps / games - not to mention the month of getting replacement.

Posted via CB10
    I've been considering using super glue for the past month or so, but haven't been able to convince myself to do it. After hearing your positive experience, I think I'm going to finally do it.
    04-16-15 12:53 PM
    Again, based on my personal experience, and as i'm typing this post in a dark room, I've seen no bleeding lights on sides of my Passports' screen...

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 01:43 PM
    My passport just had the screen lift above the P key last week. I've had it since Dec. Just adding my phone report since some people like to count the number of reports. Two passport family. Both have screen issues. We loved the PP until we started having physical issues. Keep in mind the two passports we have are actually our third and fourth because when my wife and I ordered passports the initial units shipped to us had defective keyboards (non working space keys). So out of the four passports shipped to my house four have had issues. No other company has failed so miserably for us. There is no maybe it's an issue scenario. If a space key doesn't generate a space then it's defective. The key failed to work and was jammed down into the phones unable to move new out of the box. The screen lift is not imaginary either, you can press it down and watch is rise up in the one corner. Wonderful phone as far as usability, poor build quality with the four phones we have had.

Posted via CB10
    Trauma Surgeon likes this.
    05-10-15 02:58 PM
    I am pretty sure the Screen Lift issue is caused by torquing the phone. A twisting motion that can occur in a person's pocket. I have had my phone since November and have always carried my phone outside my pant pockets. I do not have any issue of screen lifting.
    Sticking to my theory, the AT&T version of the Passport should be safe against the screen lift issue.
    05-10-15 04:33 PM
139 123 ...