Which is better? Pros cons?
    11-04-15 05:10 PM
    All this have been talked about, do a search.
    11-04-15 06:01 PM
    I don't understand the question.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    11-04-15 06:06 PM
    Which is better? Pros cons?
    I encrypt both. I now also encrypt my Mac. I have never done it in linux.

The con is that I cannot copy files through Blend from one to the other, except if I mail them to myself.
    Encryption of the files on the passport never prevented me from copying files back and forth between my Linux laptop and my phone.
    11-04-15 08:02 PM
    Con of encrypting media card: decrypt it before you do a software update or you will be screwed royally.

Con of encrypting device: battery and/or memory will not be as good.

This is my personal experience so if this doesn't make sense...well give me suggestions on how to decrypt my media card so I can purchase a new phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 08:30 PM
    The question doesn't make sense because they perform different functions.

Con of encrypting media card: decrypt it before you do a software update or you will be screwed royally.

This is my personal experience so if this doesn't make sense...well give me suggestions on how to decrypt my media card so I can purchase a new phone.

Posted via CB10
    You don't know how to turn off media card encryption? Just toggle the switch.
    11-04-15 09:33 PM
    The question doesn't make sense because they perform different functions.

You don't know how to turn off media card encryption? Just toggle the switch.
    Like I said if you don't decrypt it before a software update you won't be able to just toggle the little switch. Come on brother give me more credit than that.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 09:48 PM
    Like I said if you don't decrypt it before a software update you won't be able to just toggle the little switch. Come on brother give me more credit than that.

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty sure I went through software updates on my Z30 and Passport with an encrypted media card but I was still able to toggle the switch afterwards. Maybe something happened during your update...
    BerryRipe likes this.
    11-04-15 10:33 PM
    I'm pretty sure I went through software updates on my Z30 and Passport with an encrypted media card but I was still able to toggle the switch afterwards. Maybe something happened during your update...
    Thanks I will have to try again. The last times I tried it toggled to off and started decrypting but each time it never finishes. At some point a toast notification pops up telling me to contact my network administrator or something similar. It seems like each time I try my battery life isn't very good for a few days. It's been a huge pain in the ***.

My next step is to probably back up my media card to a pc and then just reformat the card but I'm afraid I won't be able to get my info back as it was encrypted. I'm not the most hi-tech person so I'm really not sure what to do.

I do appreciate any suggestions.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 10:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    I did several updates after encrypting my card and device, no problem.
    I also have no problem with battery consumption or memory.
    11-04-15 11:09 PM
    I did several updates after encrypting my card and device, no problem.
    I also have no problem with battery consumption or memory.
    Device Encryption -- causing high CPU usage

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1044445

I'm glad you had no problems but that tidbit of information really doesn't help my issues. Check that thread to see what I'm trying to convey here. I don't explain as well as others have.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 11:59 PM
    Thanks I will have to try again. The last times I tried it toggled to off and started decrypting but each time it never finishes. At some point a toast notification pops up telling me to contact my network administrator or something similar. It seems like each time I try my battery life isn't very good for a few days. It's been a huge pain in the ***.

My next step is to probably back up my media card to a pc and then just reformat the card but I'm afraid I won't be able to get my info back as it was encrypted. I'm not the most hi-tech person so I'm really not sure what to do.

I do appreciate any suggestions.

Posted via CB10
    Encryption/decryption does take a long time. At most, I think I'm using 10GB on my device storage and 10GB on my SD card slot but it usually takes a 2-3 hours to encrypt/decrypt each time.

Worst case scenario, if nothing is working well at all, back up your media card and device, then perform an OS reload through BlackBerry Link. You can do this by plugging in your Passport, go to Link, then click preferences near the top right corner.

My device supposedly had software .2474 but when I reloaded my OS, it actually told me that an update was available. I think when I originally updated, it didn't do a good job. I noticed some small glitches such as when I tried to restart my device, it'd try to go through the process twice. After the OS reload, that issue went away so I think it can be helpful.

Reloading the OS is different from a factory reset or security wipe since BlackBerry Link will actually wipe the device and reinstall the latest OS.

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe likes this.
    11-05-15 08:37 AM
    Device Encryption -- causing high CPU usage

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1044445

I'm glad you had no problems but that tidbit of information really doesn't help my issues. Check that thread to see what I'm trying to convey here. I don't explain as well as others have.

Posted via CB10
    I am aware of the thread, just as I am aware of screen lifting issues.
    I have had no problems for over a year of use with the Passport, two years with the Z30, and another 9 months of the Z10.

Since February 2013, on the launch of Z10, I have had no issues with any bb10 devices.

Maybe I have been lucky. I also do not use ANY android apps and no Google or Amazon services which datamine and drain your battery.

I do use my phone a lot, basically all day as a laptop with multitasking.

I work and watch live TV news on it pretty much for at least 4-5 hours of multitasking a day.

I have all my work files and photos on my cellphone. I do not use cloud services. I ftp to and from my office Linux computer across the Pacific many times per day, instead.

I do a lot of paper and document writing and use the file manager a lot. It is my main app.

I know it does not solve your problem, I am merely stating that this is not a general problem and that I use my phone heavily, more so than 99% of android and IoS users.
    Last edited by sorinv; 11-05-15 at 09:37 AM.
    BerryRipe likes this.
    11-05-15 09:25 AM
    I will try the suggestions, thanks.

Here's a screen shot of the latest decryption just for reference.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.2.858
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BerryRipe; 11-05-15 at 10:43 PM.
    11-05-15 10:12 AM