We've arrived at this place in modern smartphones where the components are cheap enough to manufacture that the design is beginning to take precident over usability. Samsung phones are usually leading the trend now with sexy, bezel-less curvy screens and that's starting to affect things like aspect ratio, icon placement, front camera quality, and things like that.

The essential phone to me, looks like more of a refined apple product than the actual iphone x does, the camera cutout/notch, whatever you want to call it on the new iPhone is garbage at a fundamental level. I do not know how it could have passed R&D. Even the iPhone '8' is maybe catered more towards folks who are more old fashioned users but looking at the specs you see its a thicker, more expensive device with a smaller battery.

We should be thankful that there are still phones like the passport out there that are focused on specific things like a great typing experience and wide content consumption. Now it doesn't really matter if your phone has 3gigs or ram, 2 or 6, what kind of cpu you have...they can all do pretty much the same tasks in about the same amount of time.

I was looking at those new benchmarks for the A11 chip and you see the graph is MILES ahead of any other phone on the market and I just think to myself, "so?"

I'm not condemning people who want to buy the iPhone x but I think it could have a negative impact if it sells well. And also, way to ape bb10 apple. :-)
    09-14-17 11:35 AM
    There are plenty of Apple bashing threads already.... if you don't like them, don't buy them.

There is no doubt they will sell well, so whatever fear you have about some "negative impact" you'll just have to face it.

As for design and functionality... not everyone wants a keyboard and a square screen.... in fact almost no one does.
    09-14-17 11:59 AM