I'll just consider the current state of affairs an intermediate step towards a pkb with keys that have changing glyphs. :7

One of my main gripes, with my current all-touch devices, is the way the on-screen content is shifted around and overlaid ("Stay still dammit!" *hunts around the screen to find anew the now letterboxed area where I was typing*), to accomodate the virtual keyboard; And with the passport's virtual fourth kb row, plus predicted words bar, plus virtual keyboard, taking up 40% of the screen, and possibly popping up and disappearing several times, on a per-element basis, while typing, forcing repeated reflowing of the displayed content, whereas at least the virtual keyboards on my PlayBook and Z30 remain constantly up and the same size, until dismissed; It *may* prove somewhat frustrating.

We'll see how they have done it, though, I am sure the method has been thoroughly vetted.
    The combination of the screen's aspect ratio, physical size, and resolution, may also mitigate the matter.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    06-29-14 02:20 PM
    aaaannnddd OP disappears lol
    06-29-14 03:23 PM
    BlackBerry knows the Passport kb more than anyone, don't You think? They must know how efficiency it is i assume. Hey, my opinion Is just wait and see, it is too late to do any major modify to release for September.
    06-29-14 04:05 PM
    Did you look at the screen shots?

Posted via CB10
    Yes. Have you used a Passport?

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 04:09 PM
    Dear BlackBerry,
    Please pay some attention to the OP, he is kinda lonely and misery needs company (thats why he is saying so many persons hate it)....make this Passport the most innovative phone to ever come out in the last seven years (original Iphone) and lets see if he comes back and say pardon me....
    Lol.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 04:26 PM
    I really want to like this phone but I just cant. It has a nice resolution on the screen and it has a better camera, which are two things I have been waiting for but I just cant get over the width. I don't see how I carry that around day to day comfortably. Hopefully when I see it in person it doesnt handle as big as it looks. My other issue is somewhat in agreement with the OP. Ive been a long term blackberry user, still on a Bold 9900, and love the current keyboard. Its comfortable and familiar. I wont judge until the passport is in my hands for a trial, but right now I just cant get behind it having to learn a new keyboard form factor. If the classic has comparable specs on screen resolution and camera I think I would go that route just because it looks like a more portable form.
    lift and Mr4aces like this.
    06-29-14 04:45 PM
    By the way. I have nothing against the physical keyboard. I had a z10 and then a q10 and now a z30. BlackBerry OS 10 has the best virtual keyboard.

Typing is about speed and convenience. And they have achieved it better than on any other phone OS (predictive text).

But how convenient will it be to have a virtual keyboard pop up every time you want to write a symbol or a number?

It will take so much space on the screen the famous huge screen we all are waiting for will be useless.

PS. I will get the Passport Day 1. Just like I got the z30 day 1.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    06-29-14 04:46 PM
    Dear BlackBerry,

A lot of questions have been raised on this topic. You sent us pictures of this virtual keyboard taking half of the screen. The people don't really like it. And if people on this forum (BlackBerry crazy top fans) don't like it. It could be a problem for regular fan and for regular user.

People want a phone they can buy and be happy with. They certainly also don't want to increase the phone buy to return ratio. But if they have to, they will return it.

People are still convinced that the z30 could be a better phone to choose. But next door at Apple or Samsung. There is no choosing between the new iPhone 6 and any older device. Or S5 and older... no choice should be given. We don't want to see "I will stick to my z30".

How many people use everyday the on-screen virtual keyboard on the Q10. If that is more than 10% of the users. Go ahead and release the Passport. It's a bit different on the q10 as they don't need to. But it won't be easy to do so even if they wanted to.

We know however it is late to call the manufacturer as of now to change the keyboard layout (add new keys) as it will require to change the frames. But if massive production hasn't started, it's still time to remove those large letters and try and fit letters and symbols on keys.

Last thing. How would we add "alt" and "sym"? Not too hard. Well since the keyboard is touch. We can enable "alt" with a gesture on the left side of the keyboard and "sym" with another one on the right side of the keyboard. If people cannot do gestures then give them the option to enable ONE (1) layer only of virtual keys.....

But this is probably too late for a release in September. No problem we will wait another month if you can recall the units made and do a hardware update. (swap current keyboard with keyboard with symbols) and also in the software.

Posted via CB10
    Its hard to complain about something that we haven't used yet. I trust bb will get it right.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-29-14 04:47 PM
    I really want to like this phone but I just cant. It has a nice resolution on the screen and it has a better camera, which are two things I have been waiting for but I just cant get over the width. I don't see how I carry that around day to day comfortably. Hopefully when I see it in person it doesnt handle as big as it looks. My other issue is somewhat in agreement with the OP. Ive been a long term blackberry user, still on a Bold 9900, and love the current keyboard. Its comfortable and familiar. I wont judge until the passport is in my hands for a trial, but right now I just cant get behind it having to learn a new keyboard form factor. If the classic has comparable specs on screen resolution and camera I think I would go that route just because it looks like a more portable form.
    Yes the screen resolution of 453ppi and a 13MP camera is really nice. Better screen than the iPhone 6 and s5. With adjustable font size in the OS. This BlackBerry passport is really like a computer in your hand.

But the keyboard.... :-(

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    06-29-14 04:53 PM
    Sorry BlackBerry this Passport model is a totally mistake ! It is not practical eficient and neither "business"!
    We need a tool not a toy!
    Don't start the mass production nobody will buy, and for sure all other platforms users will laugh more by us!

Proudly Z10 owner
    06-29-14 04:57 PM
    Yes the screen resolution of 453ppi and a 13MP camera is really nice. Better screen than the iPhone 6 and s5. With adjustable font size in the OS. This BlackBerry passport is really like a computer in your hand.

But the keyboard.... :-(

Posted via CB10
    Walking through numerous corporate offices, I have yet to see a touchscreen keyboard connected to a laptop or office PC. Typing on glass can never replace the physical feel and travel of keys on an actual keyboard. Just because Apple started a trend to type on glass doesn't mean that its the best/fastest way to type - it simply rendered more screen real estate. The Passport negates this with a physical keyboard as well as screen real estate.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3247
    Mr4aces likes this.
    06-29-14 04:59 PM
    The problem with a keyboard phone for a manufacturer is each country requires its own currency and specific punctuation marks/symbols.
    Maybe the base illuminatable keyboard is generic for most markets, the numbers and symbols will be printed on the keyboard as a final process before shipping to specific market or by BlackBerry in that specific market.
    Ok the numbers and symbols wont eluminate like letters but it avoids unsold devices which have to be heavily discounted.
    ????
    Mr4aces likes this.
    06-29-14 05:17 PM
    I love the passport! Seriously OP if you don't know the reason behind the passport screen, then don't post stupid posts like this -.-

Posted via CB10
    What is the reason behind the screen then?
    06-29-14 05:19 PM
    The problem with a keyboard phone for a manufacturer is each country requires its own currency and specific punctuation marks/symbols.
    Maybe the base illuminatable keyboard is generic for most markets, the numbers and symbols will be printed on the keyboard as a final process before shipping to specific market or by BlackBerry in that specific market.
    Ok the numbers and symbols wont eluminate like letters but it avoids unsold devices which have to be heavily discounted.
    ????
    Yes, but we need the alt key, and we are trying to remove the on-screen keyboard.

Why having a large screen, a keyboard, and a virtual keyboard taking the whole space on that large screen?
    Mr4aces likes this.
    06-29-14 05:24 PM
    No disrespect but I think drawing conclusions by looking at pictures is a little much. I am sure there has been a ton of testing and research and feedback. I can image that the experience is going to be quite nice. Anyways, We'll see once it is released.
    bungaboy, Mr4aces and ghundiraj like this.
    06-29-14 05:38 PM
    Looks interesting ; one issue: how does the Passport handle 16:9 HD TV format on a 1:1 ration screen?
    Here's how video playback looks on the BlackBerry Passport
    06-29-14 06:06 PM
    What is the reason behind the screen then?
    To show the new virtual keyboard. What else?
    06-29-14 06:56 PM
    Totally agree with the OP.

There was nothing wrong with the keyboard, but they wanted to add gestures, which is fine.

But don't take out something that has been BBRY since the very first device, and replace it
    with something that's going to take up screen space. That's just stupid. I think if you'd have asked
    1000 Blackberry users about the keyboard, not even 5 people would complain that it's irritating to ALT + whatever letter is used to get the symbol you want, i'd bet my left arm for it.

This seems like a real big step back.

There are some people saying the device isn't even out, and you have to see it first. Sorry, but it's simple logic,
    i have to swipe to get an on-screen pop-up menu with the symbols on it, and it seriously makes no sense at all,
    there are more and more pictures of it popping up every day.

If it's the 3 rows that just 'had to be 3 rows', you could've made the buttons a bit smaller ( Q10 size ), where you'd
    have plenty of room left to put INDIVIDUAL ALT, ( @ # . , ! ? , etc.

I think i'll try this one out, but i'm afraid i'm going to have to go with the Classic later on.

All is based on my personal opinion.
    lift, II ARROWS and Mr4aces like this.
    06-29-14 07:19 PM
    I don't miss the ALT key on my Z10. Nor will any IPhone or Android user I'd bet. Only people missing it (or believe they will miss it) are a handful of BlackBerry faithful (which is why we are getting the Classic).

Posted via CB10
    Rowan M likes this.
    06-29-14 07:25 PM
    I will have to try the keyboard before I will say good/bad....but from the look of it....having to move my fingers up to the screen to find the numbers and symbols seems to be a step backward.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 07:30 PM
    I don't miss the ALT key on my Z10. Nor will any IPhone or Android user I'd bet. Only people missing it (or believe they will miss it) are a handful of BlackBerry faithful (which is why we are getting the Classic).

Posted via CB10
    I don't miss the Alt key on my Z10 either, but I think I would miss the comma key, and maybe the Shift key. But I'll take the "loss" of certain keys as a trade-off for the rest of the Passport...just a matter of developing some new muscle memory.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    06-29-14 07:32 PM
    I don't miss the Alt key on my Z10 either, but I think I would miss the comma key, and maybe the Shift key. But I'll take the "loss" of certain keys as a trade-off for the rest of the Passport...just a matter of developing some new muscle memory.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Exactly, not saying that I like everything on my Z10. However I'm willing to give on a few things for the overall experience. That's why I bought another battery. Lol

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 07:40 PM
    No.

The Passport is simply not for you.

Dear BlackBerry,

A lot of questions have been raised on this topic. You sent us pictures of this virtual keyboard taking half of the screen. The people don't really like it. And if people on this forum (BlackBerry crazy top fans) don't like it. It could be a problem for regular fan and for regular user.

People want a phone they can buy and be happy with. They certainly also don't want to increase the phone buy to return ratio. But if they have to, they will return it.

People are still convinced that the z30 could be a better phone to choose. But next door at Apple or Samsung. There is no choosing between the new iPhone 6 and any older device. Or S5 and older... no choice should be given. We don't want to see "I will stick to my z30".

How many people use everyday the on-screen virtual keyboard on the Q10. If that is more than 10% of the users. Go ahead and release the Passport. It's a bit different on the q10 as they don't need to. But it won't be easy to do so even if they wanted to.

We know however it is late to call the manufacturer as of now to change the keyboard layout (add new keys) as it will require to change the frames. But if massive production hasn't started, it's still time to remove those large letters and try and fit letters and symbols on keys.

Last thing. How would we add "alt" and "sym"? Not too hard. Well since the keyboard is touch. We can enable "alt" with a gesture on the left side of the keyboard and "sym" with another one on the right side of the keyboard. If people cannot do gestures then give them the option to enable ONE (1) layer only of virtual keys.....

But this is probably too late for a release in September. No problem we will wait another month if you can recall the units made and do a hardware update. (swap current keyboard with keyboard with symbols) and also in the software.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 07:50 PM
    Do you want to type on keys and on the screen. Do you have 4 hands? And why occupy the space of the screen (as you could reach the symbols by typing the corresponding keys) if you can just print on they keys. There is space.

Posted via CB10
    I don't get the 4 hands use of a PP, or any other smart phone / tablet at that.

BBQ10
    06-29-14 08:06 PM
    Dear BlackBerry there's still time to change the form of the Passport. You see a lot of people complain it looks too ugly. No one is going to buy if you keep the form as is. It's very simple the machine that shape the form of the Passport can be recalibrate to rectangular instead. All it needs a little heat and stretch about an inch and a half. Also if you can round up the edges a bit so it won't cut holes into our pockets.
    06-29-14 08:12 PM
564 12345 ...