Yes. It's not a complete OS change. It's just few lines on what the screen would display....

Posted via CB10
    No is not a few lines. if you don't like it you don't have to buy it.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-29-14 10:56 AM
    OP the other thing you are missing is not only a hardware change but they have to redo the OS as well.

You think it can be done in a month?
    If they have to "redo the OS", then it's the worst software I ever seen in my life and they deserve bankruptcy.
    If it's made at least with common sense, not necessarily made well, then it can be done in a day.
    CeCoQ and Coffee Shampoo like this.
    06-29-14 11:19 AM
    If they have to "redo the OS", then it's the worst software I ever seen in my life and they deserve bankruptcy.
    If it's made at least with common sense, not necessarily made well, then it can be done in a day.
    Achievement unlocked: "I Believe I Can Code"
    100 points. Underestimated software development.

Achievement unlocked: "Testing Is For Dummies" 100 points. Underestimated software testing.

Achievement unlocked: "And God Crushed Bugs On The First Day..." 500 points. Believes that software testing and bug fixing only needs one day

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    m1kr0, thurask, bungaboy and 11 others like this.
    06-29-14 11:36 AM
    Dear BlackBerry,

A lot of questions have been raised on this topic. You sent us pictures of this virtual keyboard taking half of the screen. The people don't really like it. And if people on this forum (BlackBerry crazy top fans) don't like it. It could be a problem for regular fan and for regular user.
    The people don't really like it: from where this information?
    And if people on this forum (BlackBerry crazy top fans) don't like it: I have not read a lot of negative comments here, and I read a lot.

But I have to admit, at some point in time, I thought that printing additional symbols/punctuation marks on the keys could be helpful. But then I thought that I didn't have the tiniest clue of how the phone performs in real life, and how choosing symbols, special characters or punctuation marks will be implemented. And then I felt that I actually couldn't make a qualified statement in any way, shape or form.

And then I wondered, how can other people make qualified statements?
    CeCoQ and Nemzy like this.
    06-29-14 11:43 AM
    I love the passport! Seriously OP if you don't know the reason behind the passport screen, then don't post stupid posts like this -.-

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 11:45 AM

Achievement unlocked: "Testing Is For Dummies" 100 points. Underestimated software testing.

Achievement unlocked: "And God Crushed Bugs On The First Day..." 500 points. Believes that software testing and bug fixing only needs one day
    It's my work and my life, shame on you.
    And since you clearly don't understand anything about it, I won't explaining all 3 points to you.
    The people don't really like it: from where this information?
    And if people on this forum (BlackBerry crazy top fans) don't like it: I have not read a lot of negative comments here, and I read a lot.
    Clearly you don't read enough... this whole forum is filled with negative comments.
    06-29-14 11:47 AM
    The keyboard looks great. I don't think you realize just how big the screen is, and with the high definition display on top of that.

The symbols only come up if you hit "shift" when you need to add a symbol. It will work perfectly if you ask me.

There is no shift key on the keyboard so it's pointless to add the symbols to the keyboard if you will have to hit the screen to enter "shift" mode anyway.

There's nothing wrong with the keyboard, if anything its better than any other keyboard this way
    06-29-14 11:56 AM
    Clearly you don't read enough... this whole forum is filled with negative comments.
    And with way more positive than negative comments. You just have to turn off selective reading mode.
    06-29-14 11:58 AM
    It's my work and my life, shame on you.
    And since you clearly don't understand anything about it, I won't explaining all 3 points to you.Clearly you don't read enough... this whole forum is filled with negative comments.
    Do you have any idea how much work goes into engineering and development of such a product from the ground up? No way they can change it at this point.
    06-29-14 12:06 PM
    My only concern is that you have to type on both physical keys and on the touchscreen. There is going to be a learning curve to do something that no other phone does. After who knows how long, Once you get used to that, then you would have a hard time going back to an all touch or physical only keyboard. This just seems illogical to me not innovative. Sure, it may seem cool and different now but is it REALLY better?
    There seems to be a huge divide between the all touch crowd and the physical keys crowd. There is good reason for that. People prefer one or the other. How is combining them going to be better? Just my 2 cents.
    CeCoQ, Q10Bold and Tim Heard like this.
    06-29-14 12:06 PM
    I'm with OP.

For the love of God put the symbols back on the keyboard and add an ALT key.

Otherwise this phone will ship about 500 units. I guarantee it.

Posted via CB10
    CeCoQ, Nibs and lift like this.
    06-29-14 12:12 PM
    Do you have any idea how much work goes into engineering and development of such a product from the ground up? No way they can change it at this point.
    I do. Do you?
    Because you are assuming that the operating system is completely different from the one installed on both Z-Series and Q-series.

It's not about if they "can" change it, but if they WOULD change it. They won't.
    And with way more positive than negative comments. You just have to turn off selective reading mode.
    I don't know if there are more positive then negative (and we should remove positive comment based on fanboyism);
    but negative comments are not low enough to be ignored. Especially by someone who affirms to read a lot.
    06-29-14 12:27 PM
    Some of you seem to think that typing on the touch screen is going to be something that is really Damn hard...
    not sure if you've used a z10 or 30 but BlackBerry has definitely proven they know a thing or two about typing on a touchscreen. I wouldn't be worried about the typing experience here.
    06-29-14 12:46 PM
    I don't know if there are more positive then negative (and we should remove positive comment based on fanboyism);
    but negative comments are not low enough to be ignored. Especially by someone who affirms to read a lot.
    It's pointless to continue a debate on whether there are more positive or negative comments on this forum, as long as neither you nor I will conduct a scientific study. Which I will definitely not do.
    I never said I wanted to ignore negative comments, what I said is that imo there are more positive than negative comments (non-scientific). And, even if I wanted to ignore negatives - why would that be important for anyone? Or for you?
    End of this debate - for me.
    06-29-14 12:48 PM
    Dear BlackBerry,
    Please pay some attention to the OP, he is kinda lonely and misery needs company (thats why he is saying so many persons hate it)....make this Passport the most innovative phone to ever come out in the last seven years (original Iphone) and lets see if he comes back and say pardon me....
    06-29-14 12:56 PM
    I'm with you BlackBerry! Waiting for my passport!

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 12:59 PM
    Dear BlackBerry,
    Please pay some attention to the OP, he is kinda lonely and misery needs company (thats why he is saying so many persons hate it)....make this Passport the most innovative phone to ever come out in the last seven years (original Iphone) and lets see if he comes back and say pardon me....
    I will bet the OP does NOT have to come back later and say pardon me. Innovative?? Hardly. Different just for the sake of being different without considering market share and uptake, definitely. This phone will be an epic failure outside of the BlackBerry/CrackBerry realm. That is coming from a BlackBerry fanboy by the way.
    CeCoQ and Q10Bold like this.
    06-29-14 01:02 PM
    I do. Do you?
    Because you are assuming that the operating system is completely different from the one installed on both Z-Series and Q-series.

It's not about if they "can" change it, but if they WOULD change it. They won't.
    I'm talking hardware engineering and everything else that goes into bringing a product to market. Seems like beside software engineering you have no clue. Too late, there's nothing they can do.
    06-29-14 01:07 PM
    I'm sorry but the Passport is one UGLY phone and just the look of the keyboard makes me want to use the virtual keyboard instead. I'm sticking to the Q10 for now.
    06-29-14 01:09 PM

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    I lol'd.

Anyway, while a physical keyboard isn't particularly attractive to me, I do like the way the Passport is going. It's certainly unique, especially when compared to the relatively nondescript current BB10 lineup. Will it succeed? Remains to be seen, as with all things. But it won't just ride off into the sunset the week after release (like the Z30).

And even if there are people who are vehemently against the keyboard (without having tried it), BlackBerry was smart in offering a phone that has absolutely nothing new in comparison so they won't have an apoplectic fit.

Posted via CB10
    CeCoQ, Thunderbuck and ghundiraj like this.
    06-29-14 01:22 PM
    In today's world looks are everything. Sorry to say that. We all know it's true as sad as that is. I think about 99.9% of the people are going to look at it and just say "no thanks I'll pass" not caring if it is the best phone in the world or not.
    06-29-14 01:25 PM
    The reason why there are no symbols and other function keys is because the passport is attempting to achieve a balance between a qwerty and a touch screen phone. This is why we end up with a minimalist physical keyboard along with a minimalist on-screen keyboard.

Just think about it... any other way we end up with a smaller screen size. I think this phone is for someone who likes physical keyboards but wants a bigger screen. Many people using full touchscreen devices have no issues with the on-screen keyboard so this phone may not be for them.

How much bigger would you like this phone to become? It's already huge!
    06-29-14 01:32 PM
    The reason why there are no symbols and other function keys is because the passport is attempting to achieve a balance between a qwerty and a touch screen phone. This is why we end up with a minimalist physical keyboard along with a minimalist on-screen keyboard.

Just think about it... any other way we end up with a smaller screen size. I think this phone is for someone who likes physical keyboards but wants a bigger screen. Many people using full touchscreen devices have no issues with the on-screen keyboard so this phone may not be for them.

I tend to agree but on the other hand I think even one virtual keyboard row defeats a hardware keyboard's whole purpose. I just think we'll have to wait and see.
    06-29-14 02:00 PM
    I'm with OP.

For the love of God put the symbols back on the keyboard and add an ALT key.

Otherwise this phone will ship about 500 units. I guarantee it.

Posted via CB10
    How confident are you on the 500 units? How can you guarantee it!? Not just think it but guarantee it! Guarantee! I'm flabbergasted by that...
    You're going to guarantee it? Amazing!
    bungaboy and dracolnyte like this.
    06-29-14 02:10 PM
    Bigger?
    The keys are still the biggest keys ever made by BlackBerry, so there is plenty of space for punctuation.
    06-29-14 02:17 PM
564 1234 ...