No, the screen is not precise enough for that.
    That's why a lot of people criticize the lack of a trackpad on Q10, because it drops down efficiency.
    I have absolutely zero issues getting the cursor where I want it on the Q10 which has a puny 3.1" screen 9 out of 10 times. I know users complain ad nauseam about how hard cursor placement or text selection is n the Q10 without a track pad; but every time I read such comments I wholeheartedly believe those users just aren't proficient in using the Q10 or they just aren't trying to properly place the cursor and just doing so hap hazardly. This sort of thing is more situational depending on the user, but I can understand why so many people have a hard time with it on such a small screen. To argue that cursor placement and text selection on a massive 4.5" device will be equal to a 3.1" device is seriously comparing apples to oranges.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 04:27 AM
    I wonder if any of you guys ever realized that the Passport will most likely allow for both tapping on screen or swiping on keyboard for cursor positioning, so fighting over this or that being silly or not is totally pointless, and everybody will be allowed to use his preferred way of getting things done.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 04:40 AM
    I wonder if any of you guys ever realized that the Passport will most likely allow for both tapping on screen or swiping on keyboard for cursor positioning, so fighting over this or that being silly or not is totally pointless, and everybody will be allowed to use his preferred way of getting things done.

Posted via CB10
    Your assertion is incorrect. As some have already pointed out, we would like to get things done using the vastly superior efficiency of using a fully featured QWERTY keyboard, which the Passport currently doesn't sport (unless BlackBerry changes this glaring issue before release, which I highly doubt).

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 04:53 AM
    I have absolutely zero issues getting the cursor where I want it on the Q10 which has a puny 3.1" screen 9 out of 10 times. I know users complain ad nauseam about how hard cursor placement or text selection is n the Q10 without a track pad; but every time I read such comments I wholeheartedly believe those users just aren't proficient in using the Q10 or they just aren't trying to properly place the cursor and just doing so hap hazardly. This sort of thing is more situational depending on the user, but I can understand why so many people have a hard time with it on such a small screen. To argue that cursor placement and text selection on a massive 4.5" device will be equal to a 3.1" device is seriously comparing apples to oranges.

Posted via CB10
    Haha just wow.

I use a Z10 and text selection on this thing, even after over a year of usage, is still horrible, especially selecting text portions out of a bigger paragraph. My brother (Z10) as well as two Q10 using friends of mine criticize that as well. Trackpad + Shift is undoubtedly leaps and bounds ahead in this regard and like 1,000% faster.
    deltact likes this.
    07-11-14 05:04 AM
    Your assertion is incorrect. As some have already pointed out, we would like to get things done using the vastly superior efficiency of using a fully featured QWERTY keyboard, which the Passport currently doesn't sport (unless BlackBerry changes this glaring issue before release, which I highly doubt).

Posted via CB10
    My assertion on what?
    Did you even notice what I referred to?
    I don't think so.
    Just to remind you: you, and the other guy were fighting over cursor placement and text selection.
    Why did I even get into this.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 05:23 AM
    You can place the cursor, but not precisely and not as fast as a trackpad. You can easily and very fast move 1-3 characters with a trackpad, with the screen you have to spend a very long time to get it, first because you need the screen to respond to your input right.
    Or even the entire message, it's still faster with a fast swipe on the trackpad than touching the screen. You can do that blindly.
    Especially if you don't have tiny fingers.

Second: if you can be more precise with a bigger screen, than you are wasting it. If you enlarge the screen but also the character size, you can see the same amount of content, and not getting an advantage out of it.
    07-11-14 05:30 AM
    But a video showing how the keyboard works compare to a traditional (and proven) keyboard like the one on a Bold 9000.....will be much better then any number of blogs trying to describe in words.

Posted via CB10
    The problem is that the device isn't released yet. So they want to keep all informations. Keep it as private as possible. The problem is that if the video isn't showing us top of the line results. Lots of us that are 50/50 about the Passport won't even try to get it. So they rather keep the suspense.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 05:41 AM
    Haha just wow.

I use a Z10 and text selection on this thing, even after over a year of usage, is still horrible, especially selecting text portions out of a bigger paragraph. My brother (Z10) as well as two Q10 using friends of mine criticize that as well. Trackpad + Shift is undoubtedly leaps and bounds ahead in this regard and like 1,000% faster.
    And you can do shift+trackpad on the Passport?

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 06:53 AM
    And you can do shift+trackpad on the Passport?

Posted via CB10
    Yep

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 06:56 AM
    That's the first good thing I heard about the 3 row keyboard.
    Yay.

Question about accents...
    How does the keyboard differentiate between a double tap to go into text select and a double tap for accents?
    Or do we have no idea?

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 07:08 AM
    That's the first good thing I heard about the 3 row keyboard.
    Yay.

Question about accents...
    How does the keyboard differentiate between a double tap to go into text select and a double tap for accents?
    Or do we have no idea?

Posted via CB10
    You mean you've been moaning about it across 50 posts but didn't care to learn how it works?

You crazy.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 07:27 AM
    You mean you've been moaning about it across 50 posts but didn't care to learn how it works?

You crazy.

Posted via CB10
    I never said anything about text selection...?

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 07:50 AM
    Thread is closed while under review.
    Tim Heard, Thunderbuck and CeCoQ like this.
    07-11-14 08:41 AM
    And, after the review, it has been decided that the thread has run its course and warnings posted were ignored, this has become a personal disagreement contest, and will remain closed.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 07-11-14 at 08:57 AM.
    07-11-14 08:41 AM
564 ... 212223