No, none is with you.
    And not only because you are sarcastic, but because none here want to be stuck with the past. We just don't want a downgrade of typing experience.

Gestures could still be there with a full keyboard.
    You don't actually know that the Passport represents a "downgrade". I absolutely HATED virtual keyboards until I got a Z10 and found that BlackBerry had found a way to make a very useful vkb.

I have a lot of faith in BB's ability to make this work, but none of us are going to know for sure until we actually get the chance to try using it.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    Vorkosigan, dejanh and Timbosaurus like this.
    07-05-14 05:50 PM
    Are you certain of this like you were that the keyboard is OLED?
    I never was certain of an oled keyboard, it's still the only logic way to deal with no shift/alt keys.

The reality is still stupid.
    07-05-14 07:19 PM
    I never was certain of an oled keyboard, it's still the only logic way to deal with no shift/alt keys.

The reality is still stupid.
    Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-05-14 08:09 PM

Isn't that the whole motivation of this thread? The point is to knock what you haven't tried.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 09:03 PM

What's to try? That's the motivation of this thread; there's no alt, no shift and no sym keys.

Isn't that the whole motivation of this thread? The point is to knock what you haven't tried.

Posted via CB10
    Look above.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 10:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Right, good, sorry. Back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Damn you Blackberry, why do you not change the keyboard! Where is my Alt and Shift key! Inefficiency! Waa, waaaa, waaaaaaa!

07-05-14 10:57 PM
    Right, good, sorry. Back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Damn you Blackberry, why do you not change the keyboard! Where is my Alt and Shift key! Inefficiency! Waa, waaaa, waaaaaaa!

I'm glad to see you have a sense of humor; but the reality is that downgrading the QWERTY keyboard isn't a good thing, it's actually a bad thing. And that's no laughing matter.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-05-14 11:01 PM
    I have to agree with him the keyboard seems like it's going to be really annoying and not easy to use like regular BlackBerry keyboards are.

Q10 Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-05-14 11:02 PM
    I'm glad to see you have a sense of humor; but the reality is that downgrading the QWERTY keyboard isn't a good thing, it's actually a bad thing. And that's no laughing matter.

Posted via CB10
    It's a scary, scaaary thing. It really is. I'm scared, are you?

07-05-14 11:47 PM
    What's to try? That's the motivation of this thread; there's no alt, no shift and no sym keys.

Look above.

Posted via CB10
    Look to the left. Look to the right. Look below. Look at a place with less hysteria.

Posted via CB10
    gokulesh likes this.
    07-05-14 11:51 PM
    It's a scary, scaaary thing. It really is. I'm scared, are you?

Nothing to be scared about it. Much like previous BlackBerry phones, it'll be hyped beyond belief within this small community, but will ultimately do very poorly in sales. Then we can all move on and wait for the next BlackBerry hypebeast.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 12:03 AM
    Nothing to be scared about it. Much like previous BlackBerry phones, it'll be hyped beyond belief within this small community, but will ultimately do very poorly in sales. Then we can all move on and wait for the next BlackBerry hypebeast.

Posted via CB10
    Or scorched to the earth as the devil phone by the BlackBerry faithful so scared of any deviation that they must carefully monitor positive opinion to ensure nothing out of the ordinary is encouraged. Either one.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck and gokulesh like this.
    07-06-14 12:15 AM
    I'm going to buy a Passport, bit I agree with the OP, an ALT key and a SYM key would make the keyboard much faster and more functional.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    You might be right about that.
    Or scorched to the earth as the devil phone by the BlackBerry faithful so scared of any deviation that they must carefully monitor positive opinion to ensure nothing out of the ordinary is encouraged. Either one.

Posted via CB10
    Love it No change for me please. But BlackBerry, please don't forget to innovate, just don't change anything, but innovate.

gokulesh likes this.
    You might be right about that.

Love it No change for me please. But BlackBerry, please don't forget to innovate, just don't change anything, but innovate.

Why do you have to be so obnoxious? Everyone is clearly welcoming the keyboard innovations. The gestures sound awesome.

Using a vkb to replace printed symbols is not innovation.

Posted via CB10
    jcarlos100 likes this.
    07-06-14 01:50 AM
    Why do you have to be so obnoxious? Everyone is clearly welcoming the keyboard innovations. The gestures sound awesome.

Using a vkb to replace printed symbols is not innovation.

Posted via CB10
    You think they'd get such a simple concept.

I wish the keyboard was a proper QWERTY keyboard! If that were the case I'd have absolutely no qualms making this a day 1 purchase for me. But intentionally crippled keyboard? Not a chance.

Sad to see so many that can't see the forest from the trees.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 03:07 AM

I wish the keyboard was a proper QWERTY keyboard! If that were the case I'd have absolutely no qualms making this a day 1 purchase for me. But intentionally crippled keyboard? Not a chance.

Posted via CB10
    I'm still gonna buy it. BlackBerry is a hobby of mine. It's why I'm on this forum.

This will be the next Storm for BlackBerry (and I loved my Storm!).

Like I said before, I know one person who has touched this phone for a very short period of time. He said the keyboard was annoying and not productive. It's not difficult to speculate that he may be accurate.

We don't want a virtual keyboard popping up every time we need a number or a symbol. If you disagree with that then you are insane. If you haven't used the phone, just imagine how annoying that would be.

I think if everyone is honest, then they would agree.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 03:22 AM

Posted via CB10
    Nobody's forcing you to buy it. Based on your complaints about the Passport's keyboard I'd think the Classic would be more satisfactory for you.

dejanh likes this.
    07-06-14 04:45 AM
    Like I said before, I know one person who has touched this phone for a very short period of time. He said the keyboard was annoying and not productive. It's not difficult to speculate that he may be accurate.

Then it's far from being representative. People who are accustomed to vkb tend to find a Q10 keyboard annoying as well on first hands on.
    dejanh and gokulesh like this.
    07-06-14 04:50 AM
    Nobody's forcing you to buy it. Based on your complaints about the Passport's keyboard I'd think the Classic would be more satisfactory for you.

It would, if I thought I needed the tool belt; but I neither need nor want the tool belt. It's a complete waste of space on a BB10 device. I'll just have to continue using the Q10 until BlackBerry releases a proper successor to the Q10, unfortunately.

I'm truly hoping that BlackBerry releases an updated version of the Passport in the near future with a fully functional and proper QWERTY keyboard.

I just had a thought; I'm thinking the vast majority of the people who like/love the Passport are touch screen only device users. Am I wrong here? I'm not saying that they've never used a proper QWERTY device, but that they are the type of people who prefer the touch screen only devices like the Z line.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 04:52 AM
    I'm still gonna buy it. BlackBerry is a hobby of mine. It's why I'm on this forum.

This will be the next Storm for BlackBerry (and I loved my Storm!).

The keyboard on the Zs takes a good week to get used to, but totally worth it. I see the Passport as having pretty much a new input method. It will likely take time for some users to get accustomed.

We don't want a virtual keyboard popping up every time we need a number or a symbol. If you disagree with that then you are insane. If you haven't used the phone, just imagine how annoying that would be.

I think if everyone is honest, then they would agree.
    Please don't speak for me. I was good with the arrangement on the Q10 and this looks even less intrusive since the vkb takes up less of the screen.

dejanh likes this.
    07-06-14 05:04 AM
    The keyboard on the Zs takes a good week to get used to, but totally worth it. I see the Passport as having pretty much a new input method. It will likely take time for some users to get accustomed.

Please don't speak for me. I was good with the arrangement on the Q10 and this looks even less intrusive since the vkb takes up less of the screen.

You still just don't get it, do you? This is nothing like the Q10 arrangement. Why do you keep repeating that?

The Q10 only displays the vkb for extended/uncommon symbols. Other symbols are accessed via the ALT key and the physical keys.

Now that you understand this (surely you can't keep repeating misinformation), can we agree?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 05:25 AM
    Then it's far from being representative. People who are accustomed to vkb tend to find a Q10 keyboard annoying as well on first hands on.
    Agree, but I'm not just interested in whether I (a BlackBerry fan) will give this phone enough time. I will.

I'm also interested in BlackBerry releasing a handset that will see them grow market share. An unintuitive phone will not deliver this.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 05:26 AM
    ... grow market share. An unintuitive phone will not deliver this.
    Good point, I agree. But just as you mention it, I think BlackBerry has something going for it concerning this issue. And that is the fact the Passport is a very unique and differentiated product.

The Z10 and Z30 were both mee-too devices which basically imitated the competition, at least from a consumer's perspective. That meant whoever picked up a Z10 expected something that works similar to an iPhone or any other Android device, meaning you have a homebutton, a menu and back key and so on. But since it worked absolutely not as expected, many people judged it's unintuitive and confusing in a bad way - chapter closed.

But the Passport isn't a me-too device but a clearly different approach and I think whoever lays hands on one won't expect it to be just another standard slab right from the beginning. So I think whoever won't be taken off by the Passports curious design and actually tries it out will be more involved and engaged with the phone as a whole and will willingly look to make it work, to master it. A learning curve doesn't matter at that point, because any potential buyer consciously departed from the established known smartphone paths.
    gokulesh likes this.
    07-06-14 06:17 AM
    I just had a thought; I'm thinking the vast majority of the people who like/love the Passport are touch screen only device users.
    I went

9000 > 9800 > 9900 > Z10

Now you may ask why I didn't went fot the Q10 and my simple answer is that I won't compromise on screen real estate without a toolbelt - simple. I loved the toolbelt.

So my next move will be going for the Passport instead of the classic. Because it has this charming BOSS-like appeal the 8800 had.
    dejanh likes this.
    07-06-14 06:21 AM
564 ... 1213141516 ...