It's an option for better scrolling. Which doesn't change the fact that it's square and can therefore be used portrait all the time. Other than for scrolling it doesn't make sense to go into landscape mode.

....which is stupid anyway. Here's hoping scrolling is always possible and it's just a recommendation to do it in landscape as it delivers more vertical space to scroll.
    That appears to be the situation. Yes, I'm aware that the Passport CAN change orientation to turn the keyboard into a massive vertical scroller, but the impression I get is that this is strictly optional, and that it doesn't affect the display itself.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    07-03-14 12:33 AM
    The comma and other frequently used punctuation are also mapped to a physical key even though it's also at the bottom.
    No, it's not if you look to the leaked pictures.
    The comma is nowhere to be found.
    07-03-14 03:18 AM
    This kind of confuses me....
    Why not just print the symbols on the keyboard???

Even the miniscule Torch keyboard had enough space on it for the extra characters...
    They can't be serious that a virtual keyboard pops up EVERY time I have to/want to type a special character....

It totally kills the device for everyone using a language that requires a lot of special characters and/or punctuation.
    Spanish, German, French, Arabic just to name a few, all have the need for special characters very often.
    So I am buying a physical keyboard phone, to type on the touchscreen half of the time???

And if I am not typing on it, because apparently they keys are also mapped on the physical keyboard when I use the "alt key", then I have a totally useless virtual keyboard popping up everytime on my screen, when I need a special character....
    And somebody at BlackBerry actually approved that idea?

I decided yesterday that I would buy a Passport because the current mobile landscape bores me.
    Well, thanks for this thread OP, because frankly, the virtual keyboard solution like it is currently explained, is the ultimate deal breaker. I can't be that bored to buy into such a non solution.
    I don't buy a QWERTY phone, to type on the glass...............

Holy hell. That people approve of such a UIX in the HQ, should be an indication of how much BlackBerry is actually disconnected with the current mobile market.
    And John Chen approved of that as well?
    Yeah, I'm better selling that stock I bought for 7$.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and CeCoQ like this.
    07-03-14 04:22 AM
    Holy hell. That people approve of such a UIX in the HQ, should be an indication of how much BlackBerry is actually disconnected with the current mobile market.
    The people who built the user interface for BB10 (The Astonishing Tribe) left last year...

After they decided to replace the interface with flat colors and low personality icons. And probabily after they decided to follow this design for look over user experience.

I'd have left too...

They acquired a company with a strong vision, then they trashed it.
    07-03-14 04:43 AM
    The people who built the user interface for BB10 (The Astonishing Tribe) left last year...

After they decided to replace the interface with flat colors and low personality icons. And probabily after they decided to follow this design for look over user experience.

I'd have left too...

They acquired a company with a strong vision, then they trashed it.
    Well that's something I kinda forgot.
    But....

Do you really need TAT to get that removing the "alt" key, shouldn't end up in having a huge virtual keyboard pop up every time you want to type a special character?

If your answer is yes, then maybe BlackBerry isn't as incompetent as I think right now.

To say the truth, I am unable to find the right words, after reading through this thread.
    I am honestly shocked, as in I had NO efffing idea, like, me being completely flabbergasted....
    That you can actually have such an idiotic UI idea.
    It's on the verge of brainless.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 04:56 AM
    Well that's something I kinda forgot.
    But....

Do you really need TAT to get that removing the "alt" key, shouldn't end up in having a huge virtual keyboard pop up every time you want to type a special character?

If your answer is yes, then maybe BlackBerry isn't as incompetent as I think right now.
    I didn't say it was TAT fault... I think they left because of choices made by someone else.

For example, the background of icons, it's necessary for rich and bright background. It's a stupid choice to remove it, and every graphic designer would tell you that.
    And that's why they at least have the decency to show only dark backgrounds with 10.3 beta.

The new flat color style, it's harder to see what is interactive and what not.

They left because someone else dictated stupid requests.
    07-03-14 05:10 AM
    I didn't say it was TAT fault... I think they left because of choices made by someone else.

For example, the background of icons, it's necessary for rich and bright background. It's a stupid choice to remove it, and every graphic designer would tell you that.
    And that's why they at least have the decency to show only dark backgrounds with 10.3 beta.

The new flat color style, it's harder to see what is interactive and what not.

They left because someone else dictated stupid requests.
    Could be, or couldn't be.
    I won't judge that since I have no idea what actually happened, nor am I a graphic designer.

My original statement was a hypothetical question...
    Does BlackBerry need TAT, to understand that a huge virtual keyboard popping up, when you use a physical keyboard form factor (not a slider) is just stupid?
    Are they so incompetent in the HQ?

That's my question

Posted via CB10
    Tim Heard likes this.
    07-03-14 05:30 AM
    This kind of confuses me....
    Why not just print the symbols on the keyboard???

Even the miniscule Torch keyboard had enough space on it for the extra characters...
    They can't be serious that a virtual keyboard pops up EVERY time I have to/want to type a special character....

It totally kills the device for everyone using a language that requires a lot of special characters and/or punctuation.
    Spanish, German, French, Arabic just to name a few, all have the need for special characters very often.
    So I am buying a physical keyboard phone, to type on the touchscreen half of the time???

And if I am not typing on it, because apparently they keys are also mapped on the physical keyboard when I use the "alt key", then I have a totally useless virtual keyboard popping up everytime on my screen, when I need a special character....
    And somebody at BlackBerry actually approved that idea?

I decided yesterday that I would buy a Passport because the current mobile landscape bores me.
    Well, thanks for this thread OP, because frankly, the virtual keyboard solution like it is currently explained, is the ultimate deal breaker. I can't be that bored to buy into such a non solution.
    I don't buy a QWERTY phone, to type on the glass...............

And John Chen approved of that as well?
    Yeah, I'm better selling that stock I bought for 7$.

Posted via CB10
    Well actually AFAIR accented characters like let's say umlaute won't be done with the virtual pop up keyboard:

"Entering an accented character? Hold the letter key down, and then lightly tap on the key to add the appropriate accent!"

....that description isn't really clear to me though. What key am I supposed to tap there? Like press and hold the "U" for 2 seconds - release - tap through till the right accented form appears?
    07-03-14 06:01 AM
    Well actually AFAIR accented characters like let's say umlaute won't be done with the virtual pop up keyboard:

"Entering an accented character? Hold the letter key down, and then lightly tap on the key to add the appropriate accent!"

....that description isn't really clear to me though. What key am I supposed to tap there? Like press and hold the "U" for 2 seconds - release - tap through till the right accented form appears?
    The keyboard is a touchpad, so I guess that tapping would make sense.
    But how do I hold down a key, while tapping it?

Sorry guys, but this is hilarious.
    I still don't get it. How can anyone of the higher ups approve of that UI?
    Wow, just wow.

So you have one GUI for the standard latin letters, on the bottom.
    A different GUI for special characters taking away even more real estate.
    And then an imaginary GUI for the "umlaute".
    So you basically have 3 input methods you have to use simultaneously?

Revolutionary

Posted via CB10
    CeCoQ likes this.
    07-03-14 06:10 AM

Wow, just wow.

Revolutionary

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm

The contextual row will always be in place and 100% intuitive IMO, just as intuitive as the hardware keyboard. Just as intuituve will also be the virtual SHIFT key.

Then accents: not intuitive, which were neither intuitive on legacy devices (press+hold trackpad).

Then symbols: instead having primary symbols reachable via ALT and secondary ones reachable via SYM you now have primary symbols dynamical via the contextual row and a complete list (incl. those on the contextual row) via the pop up, which was a pop up on legacy devices as well (to be fair on legacy devices it was an overflow pop up which is much better IMO).

So if you think about it that contextual algorithm should better be top notch. And wait and see how often the pop up is really needed. For me there's still hope.
    07-03-14 10:27 AM
    They listened lmao
    Now thread closed
    Dear BlackBerry! There's still time to fix the Passport keyboard.-crackberry-image.jpg

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 11:14 AM
    Who listened what?
    07-03-14 11:24 AM
    They listened lmao
    Now thread closed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrackBerry Image.jpg 
Views:	689 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	282685

Posted via CB10
    The Photoshop is strong with this one
    07-03-14 12:08 PM
    Who listened what?
    Dunno, just looks like a weird render which still has the enormous virtual keyboard instead of printed symbols.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 12:09 PM
    The Photoshop is strong with this one
    Lol thank you i agree

Posted via CB10
    3Dee likes this.
    07-03-14 12:23 PM
    Dear BlackBerry ... us pictures of this virtual ... The people don't really ... People are still convinced that ... We don't want to ... We know however it is ... How would we ... We can ...
    Dear OP

Don't talk for me. I have a tongue & thumb.
    jcarlos100, Thunderbuck and Banco like this.
    07-03-14 12:57 PM
    Dunno, just looks like a weird render which still has the enormous virtual keyboard instead of printed symbols.

Posted via CB10
    I honestly think you don't need printed symbols since you type taking advantage of muscle memory, i only need to get my eyes on the printed keys on my Q10 when i need to use an unusual symbol. I believe that this is how we all type on our devices... so... what is the difference between looking at the screen to locate a specific symbol or looking at the keys?
    07-03-14 01:01 PM
    I honestly think you don't need printed symbols since you type taking advantage of muscle memory, i only need to get my eyes on the printed keys on my Q10 when i need to use an unusual symbol. I believe that this is how we all type on our devices... so... what is the difference between looking at the screen to locate a specific symbol or looking at the keys?
    Because I don't want/need a virtual keyboard to pop up and cover half the screen every time I type a symbol.
    07-03-14 01:25 PM

Wow, just wow.

Revolutionary

Posted via CB10
    Apparently, a "tap-and-hold" will be different from a "press-and-hold". In the first case you're not actually depressing the key.

I have no idea how well this will work.
    07-03-14 01:35 PM
    Because I don't want/need a virtual keyboard to pop up and cover half the screen every time I type a symbol.
    Strange concept... I don't see your problem.
    I think the idea is brilliant, actually.

Like, I already have half of the screen covered with a physical keyboard (could be screen real estate on an all touch phone)...
    And then I lose another third of the screen, for a virtual keyboard I wouldn't need.

No honestly, that's revolutionary guys.
    BlackBerry is onto something there!

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 01:41 PM
    Strange concept... I don't see your problem.
    I think the idea is brilliant, actually.

Like, I already have half of the screen covered with a physical keyboard (could be screen real estate on an all touch phone)...
    And then I lose another third of the screen, for a virtual keyboard I wouldn't need.

No honestly, that's revolutionary guys.
    BlackBerry is onto something there!

Posted via CB10

Dear BlackBerry! There's still time to fix the Passport keyboard.-1w58.jpg

Posted via CB10
    3Dee likes this.
    07-03-14 01:43 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1w58.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	282713

Posted via CB10
    Don't you think that this would sound awesome when you try to pitch the device to potential buyers?

If not, there may be a reason for it

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 03:10 PM
    Attachment 281709

Passport v2.

We want this!!! And just remove the virtual row. No more needed.

Thanks BlackBerry !

Posted via CB10
    Speak for yourself. I love the idea of having the contextual virtual row. And I find the alt key the single most annoying thing whenever I have to use a pkb BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    07-03-14 06:01 PM
    Speak for yourself. I love the idea of having the contextual virtual row. And I find the alt key the single most annoying thing whenever I have to use a pkb BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    We found him people!!

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-03-14 11:34 PM
    We found him people!!

Posted via CB10
    Who? The missing link?

Oh, sorry. He must not be an actual QWERTY guy. Doesn't like the alt key he says, ha! This guy's got jokes!

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 05:55 AM
564 ... 1011121314 ...