Please Thunderbuck, stop...
    It's getting really annoying.

Why would the ALT key be a problem while the G key is not?
    .....how awesome was that response!!

...... a 5
    06-30-14 11:30 PM
    Please Thunderbuck, stop...
    It's getting really annoying.

Why would the ALT key be a problem while the G key is not?
    Don't sensor. It's annoying. His points are valid. Disagreeing is fine but don't bully to get your point across.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 11:37 PM
    How often do you expect to go "back and forth"? Even for a lot of numbers and symbols you can conceivably do all your typing from the physical kb...

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    Just a real life use case....
    In the business world, some organization require the blackberry device to password locked every time the screen goes off. And, password must be complex...i.e. Includes number, special characters, etc

I had a bold 9000...and typing was so easy even when I'm on the move, I don't even have to look. Going to the torch slider...I also prefer to use the physical keyboard ...but we all know that soft keyboard was a complete failure.
    When I upgrade to the all touch....it was painful and I almost want to throw it out the window.

I now have a z30, and the keyboard is much better then the one on the torch or the all touch....but still, it is almost impossible to type without looking...especially when I need caps, numbers, and special characters.
    Try type a complex password with one hand while you are driving...and you will know what I mean.

I hope blackberry will retain a full function physical keyboard on the Passport...and let user choose if they prefer to use physical keys...or the dynamic rows of keys on the screen

Anyway, I think the Passport is too wide to be use with one hand anyway....so I am still dreaming for a Z30 with a slide out keyboard.....or, maybe I will be forced back to the Classic ...but then, I will miss my big screen. =(

Posted via CB10
    AthenaSmith likes this.
    06-30-14 11:40 PM
    Attachment 281709

Passport v2.

We want this!!! And just remove the virtual row. No more needed.

Thanks BlackBerry !

Posted via CB10
    Speak for yourself.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck and ghundiraj like this.
    06-30-14 11:57 PM
    Just a real life use case....
    In the business world, some organization require the blackberry device to password locked every time the screen goes off. And, password must be complex...i.e. Includes number, special characters, etc

I had a bold 9000...and typing was so easy even when I'm on the move, I don't even have to look. Going to the torch slider...I also prefer to use the physical keyboard ...but we all know that soft keyboard was a complete failure.
    When I upgrade to the all touch....it was painful and I almost want to throw it out the window.

I now have a z30, and the keyboard is much better then the one on the torch or the all touch....but still, it is almost impossible to type without looking...especially when I need caps, numbers, and special characters.
    Try type a complex password with one hand while you are driving...and you will know what I mean.

I hope blackberry will retain a full function physical keyboard on the Passport...and let user choose if they prefer to use physical keys...or the dynamic rows of keys on the screen

Anyway, I think the Passport is too wide to be use with one hand anyway....so I am still dreaming for a Z30 with a slide out keyboard.....or, maybe I will be forced back to the Classic ...but then, I will miss my big screen. =(

Posted via CB10
    Well, this may be a dealbreaker for you: you won't be able to use the Passport without looking at the keyboard. No big deal for me; I could never touchtype on even the best BB keyboard (I do 90 wpm on a full-size keyboard, mind you). And as you say, this will require two-handed typing. Again, for me, not an issue, but it will be a dealbreaker for some.

As for your complex password scenario, in password fields the Z10 (for instance) puts a row of numbers above the alphabetic keyboard. Need a capital letter? Just hold the key down. Need a symbol? Swipe the keyboard from the top. No problem. The Passport's keyboard will do the same thing.

ETA: And by the way, why the HELL are you typing a complex password while DRIVING?!
    Last edited by Thunderbuck; 07-01-14 at 01:07 AM.
    07-01-14 12:44 AM
    Here we go. Somebody thinks they're an engineer to fix something that's not broken and they've never touched befits even launch. Not mention their experts in use cases of physical keyboards in smartphones.

Give it a chance before busting their balls already.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    07-01-14 12:48 AM
    The only adjustment I suggest is placing the Comma and Fullstop keys...
    In that sense... it would be perfect for me...
    I don't really mind the current keyboard layout... its nicely spread out and distinctive in its own!

Posted via CB10... and my awesome Z10
    07-01-14 01:00 AM
    So who is the Passport for?

Posted via CB10
    The Passport is for me. I think it's time now for me to come clean about this. Quite some time ago, I called Chen and asked him to make a device that looked like a Passport. He said, "Sure, all-touch or pkb?". I said, "You know what John, surprise me!".
    And I am glad to say that he has (at least with what we know). Since it's supposed to be a surprise for me, I haven't had a device to put my hands on yet (which is fine, it'll probably be a good enough surprise when I see it).
    Also, in case this does sell 500 copies, that will be 490 more than what was intended (since I committed to 10 devices when I gave him the command).

I predict that this device will blow my mind away (as intended) and will have 100% sell through (since I've already committed to 10 devices with Chen).

I hope my post will calm the nerves of all the people who this device is not intended for. If you think you will like it, try one, and if you still like it, buy one. If you don't, well the 10 devices I will get will still make this a fantastic opportunity.

LP&HG
    Last edited by ghundiraj; 07-01-14 at 01:53 AM.
    07-01-14 01:35 AM
    Don't sensor. It's annoying. His points are valid. Disagreeing is fine but don't bully to get your point across.
    Then you are capable of telling me why an ALT key can interfere with gestures while the G, F, H, B, V, R, T, Y keys cannot.
    I'm waiting for your explanation.
    Why did you hold back?

Well, this may be a dealbreaker for you: you won't be able to use the Passport without looking at the keyboard.
    Did you ever notice that's the point of everyone who use a physical keyboard?
    If you don't want a physical keyboard, you still don't want this, because you end with only 3 suggestions, ordered from left to right by probability and not in line with the key. And the screen is still smaller then full touch devices, both in portrait and landscape.

Also, holding down a button is not an option for capitalize, because it's slow.

Actually, I just had a brainwave on why they can't put ALT on the keyboard: because you use ALT-drag to select text.

I'll bet gestures can't work on the touch sensitive keyboard while a key is being pressed. That leaves these options:

1) Make the keyboard so that only the ALT key isn't touch-sensitive
    2) Make the ALT key a separate hardware button on the device
    3) Render the ALT key on a virtual kb row.

Which of those alternatives do you think is the easiest to implement?
    Why not? The capacitive technology is the one that permits multi-touch input. And you don't use ALT for text selection, you use SHIFT.
    Just for remember how you don't know anything about keyboard use.

And is that a problem? You don't need to select text in the same way, once you placed the cursor you could move it with gestures.
    For example, you could fix the point in the screen touching it, then moving the cursor using the capacitive keyboard.
    Reaching for the screen in this case it's not an issue, you don't edit text in this way on the move because you need to see what you are doing.

Or, as I think someone already confirmed, after placing the cursor you can wait a moment and start dragging the selection on the keyboard.

See? It's not hard. The physical alt and shift keys are needed for typing, and only for that.
    07-01-14 03:55 AM
    It's too late to fix the Passport... just keep your fingers crossed for the next device. 4th times a charm.... right?!

CeCoQ likes this.
    07-01-14 07:06 AM
    [QUOTE=II ARROWS;10538686]Then you are capable of telling me why an ALT key can interfere with gestures while the G, F, H, B, V, R, T, Y keys cannot.
    I'm waiting for your explanation.
    Why did you hold back?

No, I'm requesting you debate him respectfully. I will not debate the functionality of a keyboard I've never even touched.

Posted via CB10
    Banco likes this.
    07-01-14 07:23 AM

Press once to show the symbol's virtual keyboard for a single instance.
    Long press to toggle On/Off the symbol's virtual keyboard.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    07-01-14 08:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    I didn't see any bullying. I saw common sense. And he did it very politely considering the crazy stuff the other guy is coming out with.

I think we should leave it here.

I'm in the camp of:

1. This will not sell because the keyboard is not intuitive.
    2. The typing experience will be poorer

Other people disagree. Let's see how this thing takes off.

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    07-01-14 08:25 AM
    I didn't see any bullying. I saw common sense. And he did it very politely considering the crazy stuff the other guy is coming out with.

I think we should leave it here.

I'm in the camp of:

1. This will not sell because the keyboard is not intuitive.
    2. The typing experience will be poorer

Other people disagree. Let's see how this thing takes off.

Posted via CB10
    Leave what where? With you saying the same thing for the tenth time in this thread? I've never used the keyboard so I cannot comment on how intuitive it is or on how the experience of typing with it feels. I do agree that we will all have to wait and see.

Posted via CB10
    Banco likes this.
    07-01-14 08:42 AM
    The usefulness of this thread, if there ever was any, has run out. Later...
    07-01-14 09:23 AM
    Leave what where? With you saying the same thing for the tenth time in this thread? I've never used the keyboard so I cannot comment on how intuitive it is or on how the experience of typing with it feels. I do agree that we will all have to wait and see.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry you didn't appreciate me summarising my thoughts as this thread comes to a close.

Thanks for confirming that you cannot comment. Some of us can, but you'd know that because you read this thread.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 09:27 AM
    There will really be an adjustment period for everyone as it is a new way of typing for the passport. For those who do not want to get used to a new style of typing, there's always the Classic to revert to.

Let's wait and see how this performs when it's being demoed to us. I actually wanna see a speed typing demo on this one.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 09:34 AM
    The only adjustment I suggest is placing the Comma and Fullstop keys...
    In that sense... it would be perfect for me...
    I don't really mind the current keyboard layout... its nicely spread out and distinctive in its own!

Posted via CB10... and my awesome Z10
    How did you make that smiley face? in your post. With a comma and the full stop only? On the passport. You will have to top on the screen to achieve that.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 09:35 AM
    It's a piece of cr#p

BlackBerry still not getting it. Give it 6 month they be crying wondering why people r not buying there phones.

I would have preferred to see an updated version for the z30.
    That would definitely bring more customers.

I was a die hard iPhone fan and left for the z30 which I love. heck I even managed to convert 15 of my friends to BlackBerry but really disappointed .

BlackBerry I think want to lose customers for some reason

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 09:35 AM
    http://s2.postimg.org/wxj9vaw4p/protot.png

Press once http://s23.postimg.org/4gwqknimf/protot_2.png to show the symbol's virtual keyboard for a single instance.
    Long press http://s23.postimg.org/4gwqknimf/protot_2.png to toggle On/Off the symbol's virtual keyboard.
    No no....

That little button? You want that to be alt (or shift for caps) and the other one on the right, shift (or alt). But then print all symbols on the keys.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 09:39 AM
    The usefulness of this thread, if there ever was any, has run out. Later...
    You realize that this thread on the keyboard has gotten more attention and quicker attention than the thread on the Passport itself?

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 09:40 AM
    Settle down, folks. It's only a phone ... that isn't even out yet.

07-01-14 09:53 AM
    I suspect that OP is correct. With the two different format keyboards typing will be disjointed.

Going to wait and see though. I like the device for so many reasons.
    CeCoQ likes this.
    07-01-14 10:00 AM
    Woah this thread got big quick lol well anyways i like the keyboard it's fine

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 10:38 AM
    I'm sorry you didn't appreciate me summarising my thoughts as this thread comes to a close.

Thanks for confirming that you cannot comment. Some of us can, but you'd know that because you read this thread.

Posted via CB10
    I wasn't aware this thread was coming to a close. It seemed to be chugging along at a decent clip. But as has been suggested. Serenity now!

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 10:57 AM
564 ... 7891011 ...