This is about the best post in this entire thread.

Unfortunately, I believe more people will 'hate' the device than 'love' it when it's all said and done. Think: Storm series with the whole "clicking screen" or the BB Style with its flip phone approach during the full touch screen influx. It's just another instance of BB trying to stand out and be different just to be different.

Now, I understand what site I'm on, and undoubtedly my comment will be met with much more negativity than re-enforcement. Doesn't mean it won't end up to be true. Only time will tell.
    It remains to be seen how usable this form factor actually is. Might be good, might be a disaster.

I DO like the notion of BlackBerry introducing something innovative and risky.
    06-30-14 04:20 PM
    I was a Q user. Was surprised to find how much I missed the Z10's keyboard and had an opportunity to upgrade to a Z30 when it came out.
    Must have been a while, because you've forgotten how the keyboard works. :-)

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 04:24 PM
    No, you couldn't put an ALT key on the Passport's keyboard, because of the risk of tripping it when performing a gesture.

All you have to do is swipe down.
    It's a physical button. Why do you keep using this argument? How does it even make any sense?

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 04:26 PM
    So who is the Passport for?

Posted via CB10
    People who aren't afraid of trying new things?

Posted via CB10
    CeCoQ, grover5, Nemzy and 2 others like this.
    06-30-14 04:39 PM
    It's a physical button. Why do you keep using this argument? How does it even make any sense?

Posted via CB10
    Because on the Passport you'll be dragging your finger across the keys for gestures and cursor control. It adds an element of risk that the user will get an unexpected outcome if you include keys that modify the behavior of other keys.
    06-30-14 04:41 PM
    People who aren't afraid of trying new things?

Posted via CB10
    Exactly - people like us.

Most people buy a smartphone as their daily communications device rather than just toys. In my opinion, most people will avoid this device because they screwed with the keyboard too much.

The keyboard gestures, big screen, high quality specs and interesting form factor are enough to make this phone intriguing to the general user. A radical change to the way keyboard users type was unnecessary.

I'm basing this on my own opinions from images and videos, and feedback from 1 person who used the device for 10 minutes, who admitted the typing was clunky and unintuitive. I hope we are both wrong and this turns into a a wild unprecedented success, but I think we're all able to predict the likely outcome.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 04:59 PM
    Because on the Passport you'll be dragging your finger across the keys for gestures and cursor control. It adds an element of risk that the user will get an unexpected outcome if you include keys that modify the behavior of other keys.
    Across the keys, not down on the keys. Do you often accidentally press keys on your z30 keyboard when swiping.

When we swipe down on the Passport keyboard to display the symbols, are we likely to accidentally press the keys and get an unexpected outcome?

Do you see what I'm getting at? Your argument is nonsense.

Not only would an ALT key with symbols printed on the keys make this phone instantly intuitive to the general user, but it would also make the typing experience better.

Posted via CB10
    goncal likes this.
    06-30-14 05:04 PM
    Please Thunderbuck, stop...
    It's getting really annoying.

Why would the ALT key be a problem while the G key is not?
    06-30-14 05:15 PM

Haha indeed.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 05:17 PM
    They will not listen to you. I see the Passport as something between from full-touch screen and smartphone with a full keyboard.
    06-30-14 05:17 PM
    They will not listen to you. I see the Passport as something between from full-touch screen and smartphone with a full keyboard.
    And presumably you understand how this is a terrible idea. Hint: virtual keyboard users won't want it, and neither will physical keyboard users.

Just us BlackBerry loyalists.

Posted via CB10
    CeCoQ likes this.
    06-30-14 05:23 PM
    IMO the Passport should look more like this

Attachment 281666
    except that it wont need that row of virtual keys.... welcome to Passport v2!
    06-30-14 06:10 PM

Well, in effect, we're really only arguing over whether the numbers/symbols should be printed on the keys. The keys will still activate the numbers/symbols, it's just that said nums/syms will be shown on a virtual keyboard above the screen.

And instead of hitting an ALT key, the user just swipes down on the keyboard. Is that really so hard?
    06-30-14 06:15 PM

Actually, I just had a brainwave on why they can't put ALT on the keyboard: because you use ALT-drag to select text.

I'll bet gestures can't work on the touch sensitive keyboard while a key is being pressed. That leaves these options:

1) Make the keyboard so that only the ALT key isn't touch-sensitive
    2) Make the ALT key a separate hardware button on the device
    3) Render the ALT key on a virtual kb row.

Which of those alternatives do you think is the easiest to implement?
    06-30-14 06:24 PM
    Me, and many others you can find across this board.
    He never said "the totality of the world".
    So, I count 2 people... I guess that's good enough Show of hands everyone?

Yes I see that you expressed your opinion.
    I see that you have failed to recognize that the whole point was for you to speak for yourself and not for others.

I am glad you prefer a z30 still. I don't know any of the iPhone or Galaxy user that will tell you they prefer a one year old device.
    I've posted numerous times in other threads that I for one would like to see a new all touch flagship. Sorry... I mean, people would like an all new touch flagship... lol...
    06-30-14 06:34 PM
    IMO, people weren't drawn to the iPhone because they LOVE the typing experience. They were willing to put up with it for the other things it brought, like larger real estate. Giving people the option of a large screen and an easy typing experience could be attractive to a lot of users. It could be the end to signatures like my co-worker's: "Any typos can be attributed to Siri and/or auto-correct..."

And let's be honest, a large majority of smartphone users don't even use punctuation, so they won't miss that 4th row...
    06-30-14 06:48 PM
    IMO, people weren't drawn to the iPhone because they LOVE the typing experience. They were willing to put up with it for the other things it brought, like larger real estate. Giving people the option of a large screen and an easy typing experience could be attractive to a lot of users. It could be the end to signatures like my co-worker's: "Any typos can be attributed to Siri and/or auto-correct..."

And let's be honest, a large majority of smartphone users don't even use punctuation, so they won't miss that 4th row...
    Apparently you aren't using the punctuation in this post. :-)

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 07:22 PM
    I'm not being fooled into this phone. I'm getting the classic
    06-30-14 07:27 PM
    Those people that do not use punctuation still need the # and @ quite a lot.
    I am glad more people are mentioning this may simply be a hardware issue. I for one do not want this device to become more expensive, more unwieldy, more complicated or anything else that may be the result of forcefully adding the "4th row".

If they can add these keys while keeping the usability exactly the same, I hope they do. If not, I think I prefer it the way it is now.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    06-30-14 08:08 PM
    Dear BlackBerry! There's still time to fix the Passport keyboard.-crackberry-image-5-.jpg

Passport v2.

We want this!!! And just remove the virtual row. No more needed.

Thanks BlackBerry !

Posted via CB10
    viper-85 likes this.
    06-30-14 08:10 PM
    And presumably you understand how this is a terrible idea. Hint: virtual keyboard users won't want it, and neither will physical keyboard users.

Just us BlackBerry loyalists.

Posted via CB10
    So you are suggesting that there is a separation between virtual keyboard users and physical keyboard users. Ever stop to think there are people who don't mind both and don't belong to just one category?
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-30-14 08:56 PM
    So you are suggesting that there is a separation between virtual keyboard users and physical keyboard users. Ever stop to think there are people who don't mind both and don't belong to just one category?
    It's not easy to achieve typing on both at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 10:27 PM
    Then I guess this is still a good time for people to voice their concerns. :-)

However, it seems unlikely that BB would put too much stock in comments here - from people who have never even held or used the device. That's not to say that opinions here are worthless. Comments based on the pictures, video's, and some understanding of how it is intended to work must have -some- value. But surely they have focus groups and testers with hands-on feedback to deliver that will carry far more weight.
    Definitely but I believe BlackBerry knows what they are doing. After all they Do read this blog site.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    06-30-14 10:46 PM
    This is a phone with three rows. Even the space bar being off to the side wasn't a big problem. And Blackberry Passport with the space bar to the middle, it will be okay.
    Attachment 281646

but we need more keys... shift (for caps)? alt? and sym? and therefore additional characters on the keys... WHY having a wide "Q" when we can fit "Q", "0" and "~", on the same key?

Blackberry wanted to reinvent typing?
    I could go for that 3-row keyboard. Now if a 3-row keyboard could have all the keys of a 4-row keyboard, that would be great. The reason I wanted a 4-row keyboard is so that all the other non-letter keys (alt, shift, back, enter, sym, etc.) could be included.

I want to purchase a Passport, but one drawback that might make me think twice is having to go back and forth between keyboard and touchscreen more often than if it had all the usual keys available.
    CeCoQ likes this.
    06-30-14 11:00 PM
    I could go with that 3-row keyboard! Now if a 3-row keyboard could have all the keys of a 4-row keyboard, that would be great. The reason I wanted a 4-row keyboard is so that all the other non-letter keys (alt, shift, back, enter, sym, etc.) could be included.

I want to purchase a Passport, but one drawback that might make me think twice is having to go back and forth between keyboard and touchscreen more often than if it had all the usual keys available.
    How often do you expect to go "back and forth"? Even for a lot of numbers and symbols you can conceivably do all your typing from the physical kb...

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    06-30-14 11:04 PM
564 ... 678910 ...