I take it that you are a mobile phone expert and is probably smarter than the engineers at BlackBerry, right? Have you considered working for BlackBerry so you can show them how keyboards are done.
    It's not that I am a mobile phone expert, but it doesn't take a genius to see that something is being done wrong. Also, Engineers at Blackberry have the same school degree as me, or maybe less school. I am sure their GPA was not better than mine at the completion of Graduate Studies. (Hahah, I had a 4.0/4.0)

I will apply for a job at BB, and next year, when we release the Passport v2. You will see. :-)
    06-30-14 11:27 AM
    I'm sorry that his opinion conflicts with your hopes for this device.

You can keep saying it's the same as the Q10/Q5, but that's not really true, is it? The Qs have physical ALT, SHIFT and SYM buttons, which allow you to quickly (and naturally) enter alternative characters WITHOUT having to look at the touch screen. Only extended uncommon symbols are selected via the touchscreen.

Over time you will of course learn where the symbols are and will get used to using the physical keyboard which maps to the onscreen symbol. But this is not initially intuitive. And that's a big problem.

Posted via CB10
    You can also swipe down to get the num/sym page; no looking necessary. Can't do that on a Q.
    06-30-14 11:32 AM
    Well op I'll just trust them as they been in the qwerty business longer than many of us have been commenting on it.
    With the amount of time to they have spent well over a decade on qwerty phones I think they know what they are doing.

I don't care if other people want a bb10 device I wanted one and that's all that matters.
    06-30-14 11:33 AM
    Many have said from day one this is a love / hate device. This thread certainly supports that assumption.

I'll certainly take that over irrelevant, which is unfortunately what the previous BlackBerry 10 products were.

Posted via CB10
    True. I don't really get why people are getting all worked up here though. BB has devices already with their old style keyboards. People can buy one of those if they like. I say let BB try something new, and see if they can't break some new ground. Maybe it's what they really should be doing. Being boring isn't getting them anywhere.
    06-30-14 11:53 AM
    It's not that I am a mobile phone expert, but it doesn't take a genius to see that something is being done wrong. Also, Engineers at Blackberry have the same school degree as me, or maybe less school. I am sure their GPA was not better than mine at the completion of Graduate Studies. (Hahah, I had a 4.0/4.0)

I will apply for a job at BB, and next year, when we release the Passport v2. You will see. :-)
    Hopefully it's gets that far. :-)
    06-30-14 12:00 PM
    So you will have to constantly keep looking up to the screen, down to the keys, up to the screen, rinse and repeat. Again this is going to be a learning curve to everybody. Why make it harder? All touch means everything is right there on the screen. A physical keyboard has all the numbers and symbols on the keys, right there. Why try to change all that? does BlackBerry think this is going to be so great that all the Millions and millions of people that have learned and adjusted to all touch or all physical keys are going to just flood the stores looking for this confusing device?
    This is almost exactly the same implementation as on the Q5/Q10; when you hit ALT on the Qs you get the same virtual kb on the screen. If you have a Q, or know somebody with one, I encourage you to try it; it's honestly not a problem in terms of operation.

One think I WILL grant is that on the Qs the vkb for num/sym actually does take up half the screen, and when you're trying to enter numbers in different cells of a spreadsheet it can be awkward. On the Passport, there's considerably more screen real estate and this shouldn't present the same kind of issue.

Arguably, this system is actually better, since you can see the vkb as an onscreen guide and you don't have to pull your fingers off the physical kb to see which symbol is mapped to which key.
    06-30-14 12:23 PM
    This is almost exactly the same implementation as on the Q5/Q10; when you hit ALT on the Qs you get the same virtual kb on the screen. If you have a Q, or know somebody with one, I encourage you to try it; it's honestly not a problem in terms of operation.

One think I WILL grant is that on the Qs the vkb for num/sym actually does take up half the screen, and when you're trying to enter numbers in different cells of a spreadsheet it can be awkward. On the Passport, there's considerably more screen real estate and this shouldn't present the same kind of issue.

Arguably, this system is actually better, since you can see the vkb as an onscreen guide and you don't have to pull your fingers off the physical kb to see which symbol is mapped to which key.
    Are you a Q user? Doesn't sound like it. I am.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 12:35 PM
    The problem with including physical Shift/Alt/Sym keys is gesture support. Because you'll be swiping/tapping/holding keys for navigation functions, including keys that modify the other keys introduces a risk that the user will accidentally activate them in the course of a gesture.
    No, that doesn't make any sense.
    Physical keys doesn't interfere with gestures. If they did, every key would interfere too, making it literally impossible to type on.

FALSE!
    On Qs and every older devices, when you hit ALT the only thing that changes on screen is a little square in the upper right corner that tells you the keyboard is in "symbol mode". You then press the corresponding key (according to the symbol printed on the key).
    And with this, you can insert commas, question marks and other most used punctuation blindly on the move.
    Something impossible on a screen.
    06-30-14 12:46 PM
    You got to remember, this is NOT final built. They are still testing and making adjustments.
    06-30-14 01:12 PM
    Close thread.
    06-30-14 01:32 PM
    I just really wish the OP, that's you CeCoQ, would speak for himself and not everyone else.

The people don't really like it.
    People want a phone they can buy and be happy with.
    People are still convinced that the z30 could be a better phone to choose.
    How many people use everyday the on-screen virtual keyboard on the Q10.
    Apparently people don't understand that pictures can tell a lot about how to use something.
    Who are these "people" you speak for? Because your opinion certainly does not speak for me.

The Passport keyboard is very intriguing and something tells me it will in fact be better then any other physical mobile keyboard we have seen to date. In my opinion, the emphasis is on speed and accuracy, and I believe it is going to deliver just that. I think BlackBerry has truly looked outside of the box and broke through the norms that we have come to expect to deliver us something truly unique and quite possibly the next revolution of mobile computing. I believe they have listened to what we have been asking for and have delivered just that, although it doesn't fit the typical mould of what we think a keyboard should be. But, does it have to, I certainly don't think so. Although, personally, I think I'd still prefer a Z30 for myself this Passport is very intriguing and I think it will suit many people well. Never the less, it is winning me over.

You see how I did that OP, how I expressed my opinion on the matter and not what I believe everyone else's opinion should be?
    Nemzy, wincyUt, grover5 and 2 others like this.
    06-30-14 01:34 PM
    You got to remember, this is NOT final built. They are still testing and making adjustments.
    Then I guess this is still a good time for people to voice their concerns. :-)

However, it seems unlikely that BB would put too much stock in comments here - from people who have never even held or used the device. That's not to say that opinions here are worthless. Comments based on the pictures, video's, and some understanding of how it is intended to work must have -some- value. But surely they have focus groups and testers with hands-on feedback to deliver that will carry far more weight.
    06-30-14 01:36 PM
    IMO the Passport should look more like this

Dear BlackBerry! There's still time to fix the Passport keyboard.-protot.png
    Tim Heard, Icarus3000 and tp2386 like this.
    06-30-14 01:42 PM
    However, it seems unlikely that BB would put too much stock in comments here - from people who have never even held or used the device. That's not to say that opinions here are worthless. Comments based on the pictures, video's, and some understanding of how it is intended to work must have -some- value. But surely they have focus groups and testers with hands-on feedback to deliver that will carry far more weight.
    I would certainly hope so. As basing your business of off random opinions on the internet probably doesn't work as well as controlled focus groups.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-30-14 01:45 PM
    Many have said from day one this is a love / hate device. This thread certainly supports that assumption.

I'll certainly take that over irrelevant, which is unfortunately what the previous BlackBerry 10 products were.

Posted via CB10
    This is about the best post in this entire thread.

Unfortunately, I believe more people will 'hate' the device than 'love' it when it's all said and done. Think: Storm series with the whole "clicking screen" or the BB Style with its flip phone approach during the full touch screen influx. It's just another instance of BB trying to stand out and be different just to be different.

Now, I understand what site I'm on, and undoubtedly my comment will be met with much more negativity than re-enforcement. Doesn't mean it won't end up to be true. Only time will tell.
    Icarus3000 and lift like this.
    06-30-14 02:05 PM
    Yes but I am pretty sure what we see there is the final version. If they can make adjustments, they will probably take this thread into consideration.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 02:08 PM
    Who are these "people" you speak for? Because your opinion certainly does not speak for me.
    Me, and many others you can find across this board.
    He never said "the totality of the world".
    06-30-14 02:09 PM
    I just really wish the OP, that's you CeCoQ, would speak for himself and not everyone else.

The Passport keyboard is very intriguing and something tells me it will in fact be better then any other physical mobile keyboard we have seen to date. In my opinion, the emphasis is on speed and accuracy, and I believe it is going to deliver just that. I think BlackBerry has truly looked outside of the box and broke through the norms that we have come to expect to deliver us something truly unique and quite possibly the next revolution of mobile computing. I believe they have listened to what we have been asking for and have delivered just that, although it doesn't fit the typical mould of what we think a keyboard should be. But, does it have to, I certainly don't think so. Although, personally, I think I'd still prefer a Z30 for myself this Passport is very intriguing and I think it will suit many people well. Never the less, it is winning me over.

You see how I did that OP, how I expressed my opinion on the matter and not what I believe everyone else's opinion should be?
    Yes I see that you expressed your opinion. I am glad you prefer a z30 still. I don't know any of the iPhone or Galaxy user that will tell you they prefer a one year old device.

Trust me I will get the Passport on the day of the release. And I love the design. It's different and I like to be different. But I don't see the point of occupying screen space.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 02:13 PM
    The reason i had o BB bold 9900, a BB torch, now a BB Q10 and I will want a BB Passport is what?
    Take a wild guess BBerry!
    Because I HATE DIGITAL KEYBOARDS!!!
    Get a clue!
    Your Passport clients WANT TO USE A KEYBOARD LIKE ON THEIR COMPUTER!
    Otherwise, we'd buy a different phone.
    I mean, really, get a clue!
    06-30-14 02:54 PM
    The reason i had o BB bold 9900, a BB torch, now a BB Q10 and I will want a BB Passport is what?
    Take a wild guess BBerry!
    Because I HATE DIGITAL KEYBOARDS!!!
    Get a clue!
    Your Passport clients WANT TO USE A KEYBOARD LIKE ON THEIR COMPUTER!
    Otherwise, we'd buy a different phone.
    I mean, really, get a clue!

It seems like the Classic is more for you.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 04:00 PM

It seems like the Classic is more for you.

Posted via CB10
    So who is the Passport for?

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 04:01 PM
    Dear CeCoQ ,

if you dont like it , dont buy it , simple as fthat now stfu.
    06-30-14 04:07 PM
    I agree with op. This would have required a single alt key to double the usefulness of the keyboard. so so silly.

Posted via CB10
    Icarus3000 likes this.
    06-30-14 04:10 PM
    Are you a Q user? Doesn't sound like it. I am.

Posted via CB10
    I was a Q user. Was surprised to find how much I missed the Z10's keyboard and had an opportunity to upgrade to a Z30 when it came out.
    06-30-14 04:16 PM
    I agree with op. This would have required a single alt key to double the usefulness of the keyboard. so so silly.

Posted via CB10
    No, you couldn't put an ALT key on the Passport's keyboard, because of the risk of tripping it when performing a gesture.

All you have to do is swipe down.
    06-30-14 04:17 PM
564 ... 56789 ...