Dear BlackBerry,

A lot of questions have been raised on this topic. You sent us pictures of this virtual keyboard taking half of the screen. The people don't really like it. And if people on this forum (BlackBerry crazy top fans) don't like it. It could be a problem for regular fan and for regular user.

People want a phone they can buy and be happy with. They certainly also don't want to increase the phone buy to return ratio. But if they have to, they will return it.

People are still convinced that the z30 could be a better phone to choose. But next door at Apple or Samsung. There is no choosing between the new iPhone 6 and any older device. Or S5 and older... no choice should be given. We don't want to see "I will stick to my z30".

How many people use everyday the on-screen virtual keyboard on the Q10. If that is more than 10% of the users. Go ahead and release the Passport. It's a bit different on the q10 as they don't need to. But it won't be easy to do so even if they wanted to.

We know however it is late to call the manufacturer as of now to change the keyboard layout (add new keys) as it will require to change the frames. But if massive production hasn't started, it's still time to remove those large letters and try and fit letters and symbols on keys.

Last thing. How would we add "alt" and "sym"? Not too hard. Well since the keyboard is touch. We can enable "alt" with a gesture on the left side of the keyboard and "sym" with another one on the right side of the keyboard. If people cannot do gestures then give them the option to enable ONE (1) layer only of virtual keys.....

But this is probably too late for a release in September. No problem we will wait another month if you can recall the units made and do a hardware update. (swap current keyboard with keyboard with symbols) and also in the software.

EDIT: I need to add this. People are arguing too much without understanding what is the issue here.

Apparently people don't understand that pictures can tell a lot about how to use something.

When you are in a text field or a document (whenever you have to type) one layer of keys will always be present.

This is the one....

Dear BlackBerry! There's still time to fix the Passport keyboard.-crackberry-image-3-.jpg

Now you see that shift key at the bottom left of the screen? Yeah if you want to write in Caps. You need to hit that key (double hit to cap lock). And you can keep typing on the keyboard to type in caps.

Now if you want special characters. Hit that virtual key on the bottom right. The "@ 123" key.

Now once you type on that "@ 123" key.... abracadabra....

Dear BlackBerry! There's still time to fix the Passport keyboard.-crackberry-image-1-.jpg

No more space on the screen. Pretty much half of the screen is taken. You can type all these symbols (first three row) by hitting the corresponding key on the keyboard.

And if you need more characters, you will hit that two dots (blue/gray) key on the virtual keyboard, or swipe down on the on-screen keyboard as it is is BB10 OS (lots of people don't know and use this), (or maybe passport will let you swipe down on the actual physical keyboard)

Dear BlackBerry! There's still time to fix the Passport keyboard.-crackberry-image-2-.jpg

And then if you want to dismiss the screen virtual keyboard you need to hit that button, arrow pointing down at the top right and then you get back to this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrackBerry Image(3).jpg 
Views:	3628 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	281620

If only we could use fact that the keys are large to add the special characters on bottom right and bottom left of each individual keys (yes smaller prints). Make one green and the other maybe blue. And then since we can't add buttons now, let's use some swipe gestures on physical keyboard when we want to type blue keys (special characters) or green keys (more special charaters),....

Or maybe just add two more keys?? "Alt" and "sym"... where "alt" types the lower left symbols and "sym" the lower right symbols on each individual key?

Then no more huge on-screen keyboard on top of the existing keyboard..... we will be good with just that one layers maybe? or maybe nothing at all. :-)

Go # Team Big Screen ONLY for ever

Dear BlackBerry! There's still time to fix the Passport keyboard.-crackberry-image.jpg

A bit like that.... :-)

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CeCoQ; 06-30-14 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Explanations on how the keyboard works
    06-29-14 08:44 AM
    Lol, what? Based on the leaks, nothing wrong with the Passport keyboard.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-29-14 08:47 AM
    I like it

Posted via CB10
    mas_quemex likes this.
    06-29-14 08:49 AM
    Lol, what? Based on the leaks, nothing wrong with the Passport keyboard.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Do you want to type on keys and on the screen. Do you have 4 hands? And why occupy the space of the screen (as you could reach the symbols by typing the corresponding keys) if you can just print on they keys. There is space.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold and Tim Heard like this.
    06-29-14 08:50 AM
    I like it

Posted via CB10
    Are you sure?

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 08:51 AM
    I just want a shift key.
    CeCoQ, Mack Gans, viper-85 and 2 others like this.
    06-29-14 08:54 AM
    Yes. A gesture could make the shift key. But we would need to know where they symbols are. so we need to reprint those keys...

Posted via CB10
    viper-85 likes this.
    06-29-14 08:58 AM
    Looks interesting ; one issue: how does the Passport handle 16:9 HD TV format on a 1:1 ration screen?

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    06-29-14 09:02 AM
    You seem to think that all they have to do is drill a bunch of holes and stick some plastic buttons through there. I'm pretty sure that there is some pretty complicated hardware underneath. I'll bet those rows of buttons were there in the hardware design from day one with everything in the phone being built around it.

There probably is months of testing going on with final hardware configuration. That's probably why we even are seeing the leak.

With a virtual keyboard you would have a lot more flexibility. You could even modify the keyboard with a software update. With hardware keyboards you are probably stick with those keys from day one of the hardware design.
    06-29-14 09:05 AM
    how does the Passport handle 16:9 HD TV format on a 1:1 ration screen?
    The same way your 4:3 classic TV screen displayed in letterbox format - with big black panels except even bigger. At least you wont have to turn it on its side because there would be no point.

There are plenty of movies that even show black bars on 16:9 TVs. I don't think I've actually ever viewed anything like that on a true 1:1 screen
    06-29-14 09:10 AM
    Looks interesting ; one issue: how does the Passport handle 16:9 HD TV format on a 1:1 ration screen?

It's okay. Just put black bands. Like a movie.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 09:12 AM
    Another guy speaking for everyone. I LIKE the keyboard and from what I've read most people do.

Posted via CB10
    Spawn12, Shadowyugi, CeCoQ and 6 others like this.
    06-29-14 09:12 AM
    You seem to think that all they have to do is drill a bunch of holes and stick some plastic buttons through there. I'm pretty sure that there is some pretty complicated hardware underneath. I'll bet those rows of buttons were there in the hardware design from day one with everything in the phone being built around it.

There probably is months of testing going on with final hardware configuration. That's probably why we even are seeing the leak.

With a virtual keyboard you would have a lot more flexibility. You could even modify the keyboard with a software update. With hardware keyboards you are probably stick with those keys from day one of the hardware design.
    No no... no drilling. you see how they have letters Q W E... printed or engraved. Yes just change the top layer of the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 09:14 AM
    You don't know the true purpose why BlackBerry chose that layout...

Sent from my BlackBerry smartphone.
    06-29-14 09:16 AM

There's a video on the CB front page about this...

http://crackberry.com/heres-how-vide...berry-passport

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 09:19 AM
    Or why don't we just wait until we could really see how the keyboard REALLY works in videos.

Posted from my Astro on Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3247
    Nemzy and Thunderbuck like this.
    06-29-14 09:20 AM
    Or why don't we just wait until we could really see how the keyboard REALLY works in videos.

Posted from my Astro on Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3247
    Finally! Some sense!

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 09:27 AM
    Dear BlackBerry,
    [Snip]

Posted via CB10
    No, don't do this. Have you had the opportunity to handle the device before you make these statements? And don't speak on behalf of all of us, because I don't agree with you. From what I can see thus far, I like the keyboard as is.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3247
    Shadowyugi, CeCoQ, CDM76 and 6 others like this.
    06-29-14 09:37 AM
    Dear BlackBerry...
    1) To each their own, I guess you don't like it and that's fine. When I was upgrading to the Z10, I thought it was too big and so did my friend. He is now using the Z30 without any issues. My other friend moved from an iPhone to the Z10, and though she had some issues using the gestures, she learnt. Same way, people will learn. If you buy the Passport, you will learn, if you don't, you never even have to bother with it at all.

2) The device hasn't even come out in the market yet. Once it is out, you will have the same group of people claiming that they had held the device and it did nothing for them. Well, good for them. The Q10, also being a hardware device is a purchase of choice for people who want keyboard devices. Get it, use it, and if you still don't like it, sell it on eBay. Don't hate the on-screen keyboard till you've actually seen what it can do.

3) Hardware decisions are probably one of the first ones to be made, software can always be tweaked later on to match the H/W. Remember, just like you are displeased with what is being offered right now, someone else might dislike the version you are suggesting. It will truly be a remarkable day when users can go into a shop, pickup the model of the phone that they had designed at home, with the specific OS they wish. Until that day, I think we should just suck it up and get what's being offered

LP&HG
    06-29-14 09:39 AM
    Why does everyone keep assuming that the software keys always take up half the screen. I bet you would rarely need to bring up the full list of symbols. Too many assumptions going on. How about we just wait and see how it really is and if you don't like it then don't buy it. The Classic is still coming too.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 09:45 AM
    OP the other thing you are missing is not only a hardware change but they have to redo the OS as well.

You think it can be done in a month?

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 09:53 AM
    Are you sure?

Posted via CB10
    Yea atleast for now maybe if i see it in person my opinion might change but right now i like it it's different from the other BlackBerry phones and the competition

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-29-14 09:53 AM
    Why does everyone keep assuming that the software keys always take up half the screen. I bet you would rarely need to bring up the full list of symbols. Too many assumptions going on. How about we just wait and see how it really is and if you don't like it then don't buy it. The Classic is still coming too.

Posted via CB10
    Did you look at the screen shots?

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 10:49 AM
    OP the other thing you are missing is not only a hardware change but they have to redo the OS as well.

You think it can be done in a month?

Posted via CB10
    Yes. It's not a complete OS change. It's just few lines on what the screen would display....

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 10:50 AM
    Yes. It's not a complete OS change. It's just few lines on what the screen would display....

Posted via CB10
    Didn't know u could read the OS code

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 10:55 AM
564 123 ...