03-19-15 08:36 PM
34 12
tools
    Hi all,

So over the weekend, my Password battery dipped to 20% and before I could charge it, it went to 7%. Since I was in a rush, I turned off the device. That was Saturday. Now, it's Monday, and I can't get the thing to come back on. It's been charging since Sunday afternoon and nothing. I've installed BB Link on two computers to no avail. I even tried a soft and hard reset. Nothing. I can't call the BB Customer Service line because I bought the phone off eBay. I've never had an issue until now.

Any ideas? This really sucks.
    03-16-15 11:38 AM
    Is the lightning bolt showing up saying it is charging the phone? What colour is your led light? Need a lot more info before offering help.
    Montmartre likes this.
    03-16-15 11:43 AM
    My bad. Nothing appears on the Passport except for the red light when trying to charge. I do not see the lightning bolt.

The red light doesn't blink. It just stays on the entire time until I unplug the device.
    03-16-15 11:47 AM
    R.I.P..

Posted via CB10
    JosevuN3 likes this.
    03-16-15 01:06 PM
    Oh, that was helpful.
    03-16-15 01:18 PM
    R.I.P..

Posted via CB10
    That was helpful, thanks for being a jerk.

To the OP If I was in your situation I would probably open the passport and try to pull out the battery? I mean that is the only thing I could think of. I have a warranty on mine so I hope you get your PP back on and running.
    03-16-15 01:24 PM
    Try holding the button on the top down until something shows up,at least you have a pulse,lol
    03-16-15 01:25 PM
    I know this may sound crazy but try to pulse charge it. The PlayBook used to do this and it turned out if it dipped too far you had to plug it in for 10 min then unplug, 10 more, then unplug, 10 more then unplug. It would finally boot.

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    03-16-15 01:28 PM
    This sounds very familiar to what can happen to a PlayBook once the battery goes below a certain level. There's not enough power to show the battery low icon and only the red light flashes on. The solution was to stack charge the PlayBook, which is basically charge the PlayBook for a short period with a 0.5A charger, disconnect for a bit, charge, disconnect, repeat until the battery charge icon is displayed. After that, it will charge fully. It's worth a try. Good luck.
    03-16-15 01:31 PM
    Hi all,

So over the weekend, my Password battery dipped to 20% and before I could charge it, it went to 7%. Since I was in a rush, I turned off the device. That was Saturday. Now, it's Monday, and I can't get the thing to come back on. It's been charging since Sunday afternoon and nothing. I've installed BB Link on two computers to no avail. I even tried a soft and hard reset. Nothing. I can't call the BB Customer Service line because I bought the phone off eBay. I've never had an issue until now.

What charger are you using with it and what OS version are you running? You can still try to call BlackBerry Customer Service Line, it can't hurt to try. You can try to connect it using USB to a computer then try turning it on and see if you get any response.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 01:59 PM
    It goes into sleeping mode, I mean the onboard chip which controls the battery charging. Need to look for some special equipment to charge the phone at higher voltage to wake it up. You may look for some HP repair shops ard your area. This is quite common for nowadays smartphone. Or u can try ur luck with USB cord connected to a desktop's different USB ports and hope one of them has high enough voltage to shock the chip and wake up.
    Good luck and looking forward ur good news soon.

Posted Via My Pure White Passport SQW100-1 Born on 17/11/2014 somewhere in Mexico.
    03-16-15 02:27 PM
    Hi all,

You still have a year warranty receipt or not... the phone can't be a year old yet so send it in(as long as there is no physical damage).

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 03:09 PM
    You still have a year warranty receipt or not... the phone can't be a year old yet so send it in(as long as there is no physical damage).

Posted via CB10
    Thanks a lot! When I called BB Support, they told me there was nothing they could do since I didn't buy the phone from them. It's definitely not been a year! Going to call again first thing tomorrow and push the warranty issue.

I tried all the methods above and still nothing. It's strange that the red light appears just fine, but still fails to turn on. I can even feel the warmth like it's "charging." The IT department here didn't have any luck either. Pretty f'd up that a simple battery drain can kill a phone. Makes me not want to stick with Blackberry.
    03-16-15 06:07 PM
    Sorry to hear about the bad experience. This is why I always buy Squaretrade warranty when I buy expensive electronics from eBay. They have replaced a $4000 DSLR for me. Can you contact the eBay seller to see if he still has the receipt?
    03-16-15 06:41 PM
    Was the phone bought from a shop blackberry to begin with or is it locked to a carrier?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 06:44 PM
    One solution, if you don't mind losing data, I would suggest use an autoloader and check if the battery is at fault or the device.

Autoloader will erase the device!!!

I've had the same issue once, used an autoloader and device was back online.

Passport 
    03-16-15 06:45 PM
    Thanks a lot! When I called BB Support, they told me there was nothing they could do since I didn't buy the phone from them. It's definitely not been a year! Going to call again first thing tomorrow and push the warranty issue.

I tried all the methods above and still nothing. It's strange that the red light appears just fine, but still fails to turn on. I can even feel the warmth like it's "charging." The IT department here didn't have any luck either. Pretty f'd up that a simple battery drain can kill a phone. Makes me not want to stick with Blackberry.
    Are you using a weak charger? 1.8A atleast?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 06:46 PM
    Thanks everyone!

1.) I'll contact the seller ASAP to see if I can get a receipt.

2.) I'm fairly certain it was purchased off the BB website. Mainly because it wasn't locked. I took it to the AT&T store in Nov. and they just popped in a SIM card. After that, I was good to go.

3.) Losing data is NOT an issue! I rather lose data than have a brick. Dumb question: How do I figure out which loader to use? I found this site when doing a Google search: developer.blackberry.com/blackberry10devalpha/allautoloaders.html

4.) I'm using the default BB charger that came with the device. The IT guy tried the most powerful charger he had and still nothing.

Hopefully, the autoloader works.
    03-16-15 07:27 PM
    If your device doesn't boot, it isn't going to be detected by your PC. In that case, autoloader isn't going to work.
    03-16-15 08:55 PM
    4.) I'm using the default BB charger that came with the device. The IT guy tried the most powerful charger he had and still nothing.
    For stack charging, I found a regular charger to work the best. In the case of the PlayBook, it's the charger that comes with it, not the rapid charger that can be purchased separately. How many times did you stack charge it? The idea is to trickle charge it back.
    03-16-15 09:41 PM
    You should be able to find autoloader for the most recent version of 10.3.1 on this website.
    Try that, also try leaving it on a powerful charger for a while.

Good luck. BlackBerry should help you no matter what. Call and tell them you bought the phone from amazon. When I did that they never asked me for proof of purchase. But if you need to send it for warranty you might be stuck having to prove you did.
    03-16-15 09:56 PM
    Something similar happened to me with a BlackBerry Torch. I hadn't turned it on in almost a year, when I tried to charge it, I just got the red light but then nothing. Kept doing this several times. I figured it was a bad battery and then just left it. I forgot to unplug it, and when I checked several days later, it had the green light. Resurrected from the dead!

Perhaps just leave it plugged in for another day or two?

Posted via CB10
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    03-16-15 11:06 PM
    Connect it to the charger for 2 days!

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 11:34 PM
    Wow I can't believe you experienced this problem.

As mentioned plug the phone with the original charger give it a few minutes and press and hold the power button for a good 15-20 seconds.

If that doesn't work try the stacking. It worked on a friend's PlayBook a long time ago.

Or keep it plugged in for a couple of days.

I'm the type of person that will let my phone turn off due to low battery and then I'll charge it. Not once has this ever been an issue for me on any BlackBerry.

Keep us posted !

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 04:42 AM
    So, the phone is dead. I took it to a repair shop and they told me the circuit board is out. I contacted the seller and haven't received a response yet. Currently arguing with Blackberry because they're claiming they cannot help me AT ALL since I didn't buy the phone directly through them. They're saying the warranty is only through BB online, which is crazy.
    03-18-15 10:43 AM
34 12