Passport as my daily, Been working on my Passport, did the stuff to free it of tracking, BBtracking, BBID.

Many thanks to all who've been helping and a special big thanks to Conite for the two browsers! (Kiwi and Fennec) They work great giving me access to Mega and ProtonMail.

Loaded up contacts, filled a memory card with music, Tested texts and phones calls. Added a gmailmail account to hub accounts.

Fdroid apps that are working are (downloaded thru browser); NewPipe for YouTube, RedReader for Reddit,

It's like pulling a pair of favorite boots!

Model-SQW100-1, SR-10.3.3.2137.
    Last edited by EndRacism; 09-30-21 at 07:03 AM.
    09-30-21 06:13 AM
    Passport as my daily, Been working on my Passport, did the stuff to free it of tracking, BBtracking, BBID.

Many thanks to all who've been helping and a special big thanks to Conite for the two browsers! (Kiwi and Fennec) They work great giving me access to Mega and ProtonMail.

Loaded up contacts, filled a memory card with music, Tested texts and phones calls. Added a gmailmail account to hub accounts.

Fdroid apps that are working are (downloaded thru browser); NewPipe for YouTube, RedReader for Reddit,

Removing BBID isn't really removing tracking.... your phone is most likely still calling home. Have no idea what information it is reporting, even without a BBID.

But it doesn't matter, just hope BlackBerry keeps the ip address...
    09-30-21 07:25 AM
    Removing BBID isn't really removing tracking.... your phone is most likely still calling home. Have no idea what information it is reporting, even without a BBID.

But it doesn't matter, just hope BlackBerry keeps the ip address...
    I did the; Switched it off from BBProtect. Then went through setup and skipped adding a BBID. Exactly what that means, I don't know. Just followed the threads about preparing for 2022. I more anti Google then BB, BB can track me. I assume they track even if Location is turned off too?
    09-30-21 07:32 AM
    been thinking about turning on my blackberry classic, as much as I want, could not see using that or any other blackberry as my daily driver. But great to hear someone can - wish I could- fantastic OS & UX. With all the news about bad actors hacking stuff, it's too bad BB couldn't dust off their OS and update it.
    09-30-21 07:33 AM

For Mega account I use Unclouded app (android). Works great on passport

Posted via CB10
    09-30-21 05:26 PM
    For Mega account I use Unclouded app (android). Works great on passport

Posted via CB10
    I'd be worrying that I'd lose some security using a third party app, I can get access via the two new browsers. But I sincerely appreciate the tips!
    09-30-21 06:19 PM
    I'd be worrying that I'd lose some security using a third party app, I can get access via the two new browsers. But I sincerely appreciate the tips!
    Yeah that's always a concern and one reason so many companies have blocked 3rd party access, or at least tried to lock it down better with device identification/approval and 2FA... but that only works on newer solutions.
    10-01-21 08:02 AM
    Xcrazy fennec browser works perfect on my passport. The same with email and telegram. So yes using the passport as a daily driver is a option even in 2021

Posted via CB10
    10-10-21 05:03 PM

I am with you 100% none better.
    Attached Thumbnails Daily Driver as of today-img_20200316_115211.jpg  
    10-10-21 05:12 PM
    wrong post!
    10-10-21 06:14 PM

One other suggestion: have you tried the native BBTube for YouTube instead of NewPipe? I'd recommend that change but ymmv.
    10-10-21 06:16 PM
    Does that Weather Radar USA work for you? I'm pretty sure it's gone now (it is for me anyway).
    10-10-21 06:20 PM
    10-10-21 06:42 PM
    Old photo
    Ahh!
    10-10-21 07:32 PM
    As I am using BB Passport as my main and only device, this may fit here under that topic. I would like to share some toughts
    and experience.

So. I will start with what I miss using it. From software - the only thing I miss is bank transaction authorisation app -
    software code generator. Altought I can even launch the app on my passport, for security reasons It won't work out (app will not work on rooted etc devices). But this is not a problem because banks here offer physical code-generator devices (code calculators). Small keyfob like device with keypad and LCD. Maybe it's even more secure OK, so that's curently the only thing I miss. What I am using it for? Some folks say - it's only for emails, calls and sms. Not quite.

*Calls,sms and calendar. No problem with that, thanks to this forum all my contacts and calendar is being synced with google and a lot of them have nice picture or other info added. Sound quality is fine.

*Social messengers - the next most used thing. Most used: whatsapp - works fine (except for sending large files, video files), chat works fine, video call and voice call works also (however some folks say my live video is a bit out of scope). Whatsapp web interface works fine. Next - FB Messenger. Second most used app. Works fine for chatting, picture sending (can send some smalll video files, not working for large video files). Video and voice calls not working in messenger. If someone is calling me, I see the ringing, but when I try to answer - nothing happens. OK. For a large surprise to me - Discord app is working. Can chat there, browse channels etc. Didn't try all features. Also Telegram is working (popular messenger in Russia and exUSSR coutries). Didn't try voice/video in Telegram as I don't use it, but if I have to - it is there and texting is
    working.

*Socializing - for fast FB browsing I use built in browser, when I need advanced FB features - like marketplace, I use FB light app (however it works for few launches and then requires me to go to settings, clear all cache, do a log-in. Hate this.) Except this log-in thing it works fast, plays videos etc. For Instagram I use built in browser, but it's painstakingly slooooow almoust to the pont where it's impossible to use. But yee, I can still take a good picture, add 'IG filters' to it and post it or give hearts to other. But sloooow. I press on heart, but nothing happens, press again - nothing, again - nothing. Then heart appears and disappears (because I pressed it twice or more times, LOL).

*Navigation. Most used app for me is - Waze. I love to launch it and have it in background everytime I drive my car. It notifies about cops, accidents, speed-traps even potholes Have great voice aided navigation and routing. Waze is working fine (however it may not launch from first try. It launches and freezes (this app is not responding) have to close it and try again. Usually third attempt is succesfull. It takes atleast some 1/2 minute to settle it down and get running smooth, but once it does, it works fine). Then also I love maps.me with offline maps. It uses open-street maps and is very detailed. Sometimes better than google maps. I have google maps app too. It is working, but due to screen resolution - not so easy to use. Very small space for map it self. But yes, it is there and working, showing restorans, gasstations, creating interactive route-plans if I use public-transport in foreign city and so on. I have also local government forest administration app. Forest maps. (Some time earlier I used to use Navitel and Wisepilot but they are not working anymore on Passport).

*Www browsers. For fast browsing I use built in browser, but for sites that are not supportet by it, I use Fennec. Browsing some large news sites on fennec may be very painfully slow experience. A lot of (app not responding - wait/close alerts). I have also old version of chrome (and it even synchronizes with my desktop chrome) but I don't like it, it's old version anyways. Fennec is better.

*Entertainment-I love to connect my bluetooth headphones (JBL works fine) and enjoy Youtube thry build in browser. Repeati, play, pause controls may be frustating sometimes and may require exit full-screen mdoe, minimize-restore but otherwise - everything fine. Besides that Netflix app is working. I have a subscription and can watch Lucifer etc bubblesoaps LOL. I have also rad.io and a looot of good'old mp3 tracks on my SD card. There is also SoundHound app that I am using sometimes to determine some track I don't know name. (Shazam won't work, but Soundhound sometimes get it right).

*Utils - I can order food and taxi. Bolt app (popular in estern europe) food delivery and taxi app is working. For the taxi app map is not showing up (as it requires google services), but it allows me to enter my location manually. There is also another app for McDonalds like fast food restaurant - Hesburger. It works (however at last time it won't show pictures for burgers etc.) but I can order, pay, collect.

*Games-Ohh, yes. I used to play "gangster paradise" straight from BB World. Tiny miner. Ancient continent. But I'm boored of them now. Some time ago Gameloft games used to work (Dragon mania, LOL, now it's not working anymore). Played total conquest (however there was issue with
    associating my game account with FB so I can't save my progress in the clund). For the mobile games i have Huawei mediapad, hovever I touch it rarely.

*Tools- Have call recorder, screen recorder. Parcel tracking app. Hello GPS is useful sometimes when it's hard to catch GPS signal. QR scanner app works.

*App worlds - I was using Cobalts method and Google play store (was able to download, update, browse apps), however Cobalts method isn't working anymore. I have F-Droid and Yalp store (however Yalp store can't do login with their credentials thus it's not working for me. I didn't try other credentials as I have 2FA enabled and worried wether google will like it)

*Docs/Notetaking - For taking notes I use Evernote on Passport and desktop. Evernote works fine. I don't like google note app. Also build in PDF reader and doc viewer really rocks.

*Emails. I use google mail and all my gmails arrive at HUB. I like it a lot. Altought at first glance it was very frustating that I received all those ads and notifications. This disciplined me to get a hand on this and I slowly unsubscibed from all thos ads, notifications and now I receive almoust only important emails.

*Sports - I used to use endomondo since BBOS, but endomondo died/sold themselves and now I use garmin watch. Garmin connect isn't working but thats not a problem as Garmin Express desktop app is nice. OK, I miss a bit all the features at glance that garmin app offers, but thats not a big deal.

*Misc - Have various calculators from BB World - FFT calc, derivative calc. Built in weather app rules. Couldn't without Google drive app. It is there and is working. I used to do geocaching and c:geo app works fine for that purpouse. Aliexpress app is working, I can browse items, see my orders/wishlist (however I can't accomplish purchase, last time I trid it didn't worked out). I can tolerate it and buy all that from desktop. Lack of ebay support sometimes is painfull, but recently ebay listnings could be browsed with built in browser (some time ago when I tried it imediatelly protested that my browser is unsupported) didn't tried any purchase or bid there as browsing www is painfully slow.
    There is also other use cases like I can purchase ticket for local regional train and proudly show my "strange device" (read: BB passport) to conductor while others are running to ticket-box with treir slabs and in hands (imho a lot of ppl use their relatively mighty and powerful slab phones really minimal - calls, FB, messenger and that's it). hehe
    *Hardware. camera. I like it a lot and it's capable of taking some great pics. Only thing I miss - it's bad at macro-photos. Thereis some minimal distance required for AF to work. Other folks can use their phones as microscope when it's impossible to read some smalll digits/texts on some small IC/chips. Passport camera isn't good at that. But otherwise a great camera. Some folks with their 48 MB slabs are taking a waaaaay worse pictures (They never clean lens from sweet/fingerprints) also I'm not fan with software-bokeh (portrait mode in slabs where background is blurred and strange edge being drawn around subject body). Battery - I can get two days in waiting mode. Or about 5 hours in active usage - bluetooth on, display on, internet + youtube on. Or I can easy get all day long with full charge (ocasional usage). Of course, when power hungry apps like Waze are launched it works only from charger otherwise battery will be drained in less then an hour. I like form factor a lott. When I firstly took out my passport - others were like - oh, new phone? Does it bent? What? Why? Weel, how are you going to carry it in your pocket? Or - whats that? Are those are being still manufactured? LOL Attention guaranteed. I like it. I think that it's fit in pocket even better than some long slab. I like fact that charger port is os some good quality sort of. I know a lot of folks who have problems with their c-type or micro ports after few months of usage. heh. Also almoust every third have brokend-cracked their LCD, but my passport tolerates small accidents fine.

Thats my toughts and exp. about BB Passport as daily driver now. Will keep rocking it. For all other things I have laptop/desktop
    10-13-21 09:20 PM
    Great post! Passport Lives!
    10-14-21 05:11 AM
    Great post! Passport Lives!
    The Big Dog.............continues the fight for another day...............Long live the T-Rex! ! !

and you get a Woof Also!!
    Attached Thumbnails Daily Driver as of today-apple-photos-41514-025.jpg  
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-19-21 10:31 AM
    As I am using BB Passport as my main and only device, this may fit here under that topic. I would like to share some toughts
    and experience.

So. I will start with what I miss using it. From software - the only thing I miss is bank transaction authorisation app -
    software code generator. Altought I can even launch the app on my passport, for security reasons It won't work out (app will not work on rooted etc devices). But this is not a problem because banks here offer physical code-generator devices (code calculators). Small keyfob like device with keypad and LCD. Maybe it's even more secure OK, so that's curently the only thing I miss. What I am using it for? Some folks say - it's only for emails, calls and sms. Not quite.

*Calls,sms and calendar. No problem with that, thanks to this forum all my contacts and calendar is being synced with google and a lot of them have nice picture or other info added. Sound quality is fine.

*Social messengers - the next most used thing. Most used: whatsapp - works fine (except for sending large files, video files), chat works fine, video call and voice call works also (however some folks say my live video is a bit out of scope). Whatsapp web interface works fine. Next - FB Messenger. Second most used app. Works fine for chatting, picture sending (can send some smalll video files, not working for large video files). Video and voice calls not working in messenger. If someone is calling me, I see the ringing, but when I try to answer - nothing happens. OK. For a large surprise to me - Discord app is working. Can chat there, browse channels etc. Didn't try all features. Also Telegram is working (popular messenger in Russia and exUSSR coutries). Didn't try voice/video in Telegram as I don't use it, but if I have to - it is there and texting is
    working.

*Socializing - for fast FB browsing I use built in browser, when I need advanced FB features - like marketplace, I use FB light app (however it works for few launches and then requires me to go to settings, clear all cache, do a log-in. Hate this.) Except this log-in thing it works fast, plays videos etc. For Instagram I use built in browser, but it's painstakingly slooooow almoust to the pont where it's impossible to use. But yee, I can still take a good picture, add 'IG filters' to it and post it or give hearts to other. But sloooow. I press on heart, but nothing happens, press again - nothing, again - nothing. Then heart appears and disappears (because I pressed it twice or more times, LOL).

*Navigation. Most used app for me is - Waze. I love to launch it and have it in background everytime I drive my car. It notifies about cops, accidents, speed-traps even potholes Have great voice aided navigation and routing. Waze is working fine (however it may not launch from first try. It launches and freezes (this app is not responding) have to close it and try again. Usually third attempt is succesfull. It takes atleast some 1/2 minute to settle it down and get running smooth, but once it does, it works fine). Then also I love maps.me with offline maps. It uses open-street maps and is very detailed. Sometimes better than google maps. I have google maps app too. It is working, but due to screen resolution - not so easy to use. Very small space for map it self. But yes, it is there and working, showing restorans, gasstations, creating interactive route-plans if I use public-transport in foreign city and so on. I have also local government forest administration app. Forest maps. (Some time earlier I used to use Navitel and Wisepilot but they are not working anymore on Passport).

*Www browsers. For fast browsing I use built in browser, but for sites that are not supportet by it, I use Fennec. Browsing some large news sites on fennec may be very painfully slow experience. A lot of (app not responding - wait/close alerts). I have also old version of chrome (and it even synchronizes with my desktop chrome) but I don't like it, it's old version anyways. Fennec is better.

*Entertainment-I love to connect my bluetooth headphones (JBL works fine) and enjoy Youtube thry build in browser. Repeati, play, pause controls may be frustating sometimes and may require exit full-screen mdoe, minimize-restore but otherwise - everything fine. Besides that Netflix app is working. I have a subscription and can watch Lucifer etc bubblesoaps LOL. I have also rad.io and a looot of good'old mp3 tracks on my SD card. There is also SoundHound app that I am using sometimes to determine some track I don't know name. (Shazam won't work, but Soundhound sometimes get it right).

*Utils - I can order food and taxi. Bolt app (popular in estern europe) food delivery and taxi app is working. For the taxi app map is not showing up (as it requires google services), but it allows me to enter my location manually. There is also another app for McDonalds like fast food restaurant - Hesburger. It works (however at last time it won't show pictures for burgers etc.) but I can order, pay, collect.

*Games-Ohh, yes. I used to play "gangster paradise" straight from BB World. Tiny miner. Ancient continent. But I'm boored of them now. Some time ago Gameloft games used to work (Dragon mania, LOL, now it's not working anymore). Played total conquest (however there was issue with
    associating my game account with FB so I can't save my progress in the clund). For the mobile games i have Huawei mediapad, hovever I touch it rarely.

*Tools- Have call recorder, screen recorder. Parcel tracking app. Hello GPS is useful sometimes when it's hard to catch GPS signal. QR scanner app works.

*App worlds - I was using Cobalts method and Google play store (was able to download, update, browse apps), however Cobalts method isn't working anymore. I have F-Droid and Yalp store (however Yalp store can't do login with their credentials thus it's not working for me. I didn't try other credentials as I have 2FA enabled and worried wether google will like it)

*Docs/Notetaking - For taking notes I use Evernote on Passport and desktop. Evernote works fine. I don't like google note app. Also build in PDF reader and doc viewer really rocks.

*Emails. I use google mail and all my gmails arrive at HUB. I like it a lot. Altought at first glance it was very frustating that I received all those ads and notifications. This disciplined me to get a hand on this and I slowly unsubscibed from all thos ads, notifications and now I receive almoust only important emails.

*Sports - I used to use endomondo since BBOS, but endomondo died/sold themselves and now I use garmin watch. Garmin connect isn't working but thats not a problem as Garmin Express desktop app is nice. OK, I miss a bit all the features at glance that garmin app offers, but thats not a big deal.

*Misc - Have various calculators from BB World - FFT calc, derivative calc. Built in weather app rules. Couldn't without Google drive app. It is there and is working. I used to do geocaching and c:geo app works fine for that purpouse. Aliexpress app is working, I can browse items, see my orders/wishlist (however I can't accomplish purchase, last time I trid it didn't worked out). I can tolerate it and buy all that from desktop. Lack of ebay support sometimes is painfull, but recently ebay listnings could be browsed with built in browser (some time ago when I tried it imediatelly protested that my browser is unsupported) didn't tried any purchase or bid there as browsing www is painfully slow.
    There is also other use cases like I can purchase ticket for local regional train and proudly show my "strange device" (read: BB passport) to conductor while others are running to ticket-box with treir slabs and in hands (imho a lot of ppl use their relatively mighty and powerful slab phones really minimal - calls, FB, messenger and that's it). hehe
    *Hardware. camera. I like it a lot and it's capable of taking some great pics. Only thing I miss - it's bad at macro-photos. Thereis some minimal distance required for AF to work. Other folks can use their phones as microscope when it's impossible to read some smalll digits/texts on some small IC/chips. Passport camera isn't good at that. But otherwise a great camera. Some folks with their 48 MB slabs are taking a waaaaay worse pictures (They never clean lens from sweet/fingerprints) also I'm not fan with software-bokeh (portrait mode in slabs where background is blurred and strange edge being drawn around subject body). Battery - I can get two days in waiting mode. Or about 5 hours in active usage - bluetooth on, display on, internet + youtube on. Or I can easy get all day long with full charge (ocasional usage). Of course, when power hungry apps like Waze are launched it works only from charger otherwise battery will be drained in less then an hour. I like form factor a lott. When I firstly took out my passport - others were like - oh, new phone? Does it bent? What? Why? Weel, how are you going to carry it in your pocket? Or - whats that? Are those are being still manufactured? LOL Attention guaranteed. I like it. I think that it's fit in pocket even better than some long slab. I like fact that charger port is os some good quality sort of. I know a lot of folks who have problems with their c-type or micro ports after few months of usage. heh. Also almoust every third have brokend-cracked their LCD, but my passport tolerates small accidents fine.

Thats my toughts and exp. about BB Passport as daily driver now. Will keep rocking it. For all other things I have laptop/desktop
    You Sir get a WOOF !
    Attached Thumbnails Daily Driver as of today-apple-photos-41514-052.jpg  
    Laura Knotek and Viljams like this.
    10-19-21 10:32 AM
    how did you get discord to work? I always get stuck on the recaptcha
    10-23-21 05:49 PM
    how did you get discord to work? I always get stuck on the recaptcha
    I believe that you will have to sign in using an android web browser such as Kiwi or Fennec, get past the recaptcha. @XcrazyS has the exact procedure. Perhaps he could explain better.
    10-24-21 11:00 AM
    and experience.

working.

You are a hero.
    I can't live with my Z30 for three hours.
    I know you really like the phone, but didn't you try anything modern?
    10-24-21 11:55 PM