I just finished installing this mount/wireless charger in my Jeep Cherokee. It all started when I looked at the stock ash tray. I don't smoke, so I started doing some research. Some people take out the ashtray and add a switch panel in it's place, but I don't have a winch or auxiliary lights. So I thought, how about a wireless charger.

First I disassembled a wireless charger and added Neodymium magnets around the outside of the coil. The picture only shows them stacked 2 high, but I was able to get 4 per stack with a charge (for maximum holding power)

Custom invisible magnetic mount / wireless charger in my Jeep Cherokee-dsc01033.jpg Custom invisible magnetic mount / wireless charger in my Jeep Cherokee-dsc01032.jpg

Then I got a piece of vinyl and cut it to match the size of the ash tray area once I pulled out the tray.

Custom invisible magnetic mount / wireless charger in my Jeep Cherokee-dsc01031.jpg

I plastidipped it to match the inside of my truck. Here's what it looked like overlayed on the area before gluing it down and making it completely flush (final product is not sitting higher like it looks in the image).

Custom invisible magnetic mount / wireless charger in my Jeep Cherokee-dsc01028.jpg

The wireless charger is taped heavily using gorilla glue tape to the underside of the vinyl, and a USB cable runs from the charger, through the area where my shifter is, and plugs into a hardwired charger sitting behind my radio (a Nexus 7 2013 tablet).

And here's a final picture. I just took it a few minutes ago so it might be hard to see because it's night time.

Custom invisible magnetic mount / wireless charger in my Jeep Cherokee-20150430_220525.jpg

The hold is extremely strong, the Passport isn't going anywhere when it's attached. If I end up switching back to the OG Passport sometime, it'll still sit there as a mount, it just obviously won't charge. It's also in a good position for me to hit the BlackBerry Assistant button when driving, and is at a distance where I can comfortably talk and hear speakerphone calls.
    05-01-15 12:33 AM
    Awesome, I wish mine had wireless charging.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 12:40 AM
    I just finished installing this mount/wireless charger in my Jeep Cherokee. It all started when I looked at the stock ash tray. I don't smoke, so I started doing some research. Some people take out the ashtray and add a switch panel in it's place, but I don't have a winch or auxiliary lights. So I thought, how about a wireless charger.

First I disassembled a wireless charger and added Neodymium magnets around the outside of the coil. The picture only shows them stacked 2 high, but I was able to get 4 per stack with a charge (for maximum holding power)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01033.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	350430 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01032.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	350431

Then I got a piece of vinyl and cut it to match the size of the ash tray area once I pulled out the tray.

Name:	DSC01031.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	350432

I plastidipped it to match the inside of my truck. Here's what it looked like overlayed on the area before gluing it down and making it completely flush (final product is not sitting higher like it looks in the image).

Name:	DSC01028.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	350435

The wireless charger is taped heavily using gorilla glue tape to the underside of the vinyl, and a USB cable runs from the charger, through the area where my shifter is, and plugs into a hardwired charger sitting behind my radio (a Nexus 7 2013 tablet).

And here's a final picture. I just took it a few minutes ago so it might be hard to see because it's night time.

Name:	20150430_220525.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	350436

The hold is extremely strong, the Passport isn't going anywhere when it's attached. If I end up switching back to the OG Passport sometime, it'll still sit there as a mount, it just obviously won't charge. It's also in a good position for me to hit the BlackBerry Assistant button when driving, and is at a distance where I can comfortably talk and hear speakerphone calls.
    So how did you get wireless charging on your passport?
    05-01-15 09:16 AM
    The AT&T version has it
    05-01-15 09:21 AM
    Yes, I have the AT&T version, but I just saw a site from another thread showing one of those qi pads on the OG Passport. It looks very clean compared to every other phone I've seen them on, since the little microUSB portion is chrome and matches the ibeam around the black Passport.

You route it underneath the back. You should give it a shot.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 12:50 PM