Hi,

So I dropped my passport and later noticed there's a hairline crack across the glass but the lcd screen is fine, anyone know if it's possible to replace just the glass on the passport and not the lcd?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 01:57 PM
    Hi,

So I dropped my passport and later noticed there's a hairline crack across the glass but the lcd screen is fine, anyone know if it's possible to replace just the glass on the passport and not the lcd?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    What you are describing is a cracked digitizer.
    The digitizer is the transparent screen over the display that gives the device touch input capacity.
    If it is like most all other BlackBerry devices, and most all touch screen devices in general, it is glued to the LCD/LED screen.
    While these can be removed/replaced in most cases, it is often much easier and much less risky to just change out the screen frame assembly, the display and digitizer already assembled.

If a digitizer only replacement on the Passport is like most all devices, one needs to melt the glue to separate the part from the screen. This is a very long process requiring a heat gun, delicate touch, and infinite patients. The whole process of removing and replacing carries the risk of breaking other parts, breaking your new parts, miss aligning it, or causing air pockets/finger prints/goo-smugdes in between the digitizer and display.
    You pretty much have to get it 100% right in one shot, normally you do not get a second chance.
    Purchasing the complete assembly and installing it is much less risky.
    09-19-15 02:22 PM