Well as far as I know the Apple A7 has two cores clocked at 1.3GHz and runs pretty decent. So why not downclock an 800 as well to conserve battery life if performance is still up to snuff from a user experience standpoint? After all BB10 isn't Android.
    The clock speed isn't comparable between the two. The A7 has a much higher IPC than Krait
    08-09-14 10:29 AM
    Why in the world when replying, one quotes what's been written in the post just above ? That is lame.
    As for SOCs -any Qualcomm which isn't 810 can't play well with Android L =64bit architecture software. So 800 or 801 doesn't make a difference. With 805 is a different story, since includes latest LTE modems on same die; so smaller footprint, less heat generated by multiple components.
    These days, processor has become word-of-the-day. But 3GB of ram is what makes it a winner.
    Regarding Apple's processors, pls don't even go there. They're built from ground-up to be totally compatible with their OS. That's why people still love iPhones & don't care about the specs war & will buy next device, when it will pop-up: due to flawless experience.
    08-09-14 01:57 PM
    They are quoting the post they are replying to in order to not confuse people
    08-09-14 04:57 PM
    I understand that, but major difference is not about the 0.2Ghz speed. The most significant improvement on 801 is the power management system where it consumes significant less power and much battery friendly.

BlackBerry Z10 10.2.1.3175
    I get what you're getting at but how about this.

When the passport comes out it will beat any android phone on the market in battery life.

Ill bet 10 dollars on it.

Differentiate or Die
    08-09-14 05:10 PM
    I get what you're getting at but how about this.

When the passport comes out it will beat any android phone on the market in battery life.

Ill bet 10 dollars on it.

Differentiate or Die
    You don't seem very confident...$10?

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-09-14 05:38 PM
    You don't seem very confident...$10?

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Err 20 then?

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 05:44 PM
    I had a Sony Ericsson X10 back in 2010, it ran android apps smoother than my Z10 does today-for example skype. I doubt it's too much about power- more to do with runtime optimisation, I haven't tried the 10.3 leaks, but I hope it's as smooth as people claim. Low end android hardware has become crazy powerful now. Asus zenfone 4 has dual core Intel atom and 1gb of ram for $99.

For 160 you can get quad core 2gb ram
    08-09-14 05:58 PM
    Err 20 then?

Posted via CB10
    I'm thinking it's going to be on par. Likely to have a ~3,000 mah battery (I should have checked when I had my hands on one, argh!). Most 5"+ androids have that capacity.

Q10/Q5 had an advantage due to tiny screen, z30 had advantage due to only dual core processor and low res. With the passport those two advantages go away.
    08-09-14 06:02 PM
    The Snapdragon 800 processor is a Quad-core 2.3GHz
    The Snapdragon 801 processor is a Quad-core 2.5GHz
    Thank you! I was wondering what the difference was.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 07:42 PM
    I'm thinking it's going to be on par. Likely to have a ~3,000 mah battery (I should have checked when I had my hands on one, argh!). Most 5"+ androids have that capacity.

Q10/Q5 had an advantage due to tiny screen, z30 had advantage due to only dual core processor and low res. With the passport those two advantages go away.
    Passport has a more efficient (read: better battery life) processor and a larger mAH capacity than the Z30.
    08-10-14 12:40 AM
    Put it this way. The Z30 beats any android in terms of batt life in and around the same battery size.

Prove me wrong if you can.

Differentiate or Die
    08-10-14 03:19 AM
    I really don't mind if it's a down clocked S800. Its still a quad-core Krait 400, and is still very much top of the line.

Newer phones are releasing with the 801, but that's basically a Snapdragon 800 oc'd to 2.5Ghz.

The Passport should definitely still be considered amazing specs. Most high end Android's don't have 3GB's of RAM (save for the Note 3 and G3).
    Hope is 801 for production, though ! See below:

In a nutshell: Here are the basics of this article: The Snapdragon 800 and 801 are essentially the same processor. The 801 is slightly faster in both CPU and GPU and has a better Image Signal Processor (ISP), which helps phone cameras perform better.
    Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...3zluYuyshh7.99

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 07:54 AM
    Put it this way. The Z30 beats any android in terms of batt life in and around the same battery size.

Prove me wrong if you can.

Differentiate or Die
    Is this because in the other thread the guy with the OnePlus one showed you graphs that demolished the z30 in batt life? I'm not sure if anyone cares about the battery specific size, more about the size of the phone. And yes, the xiaomi mi3, which costs less than the z30 and is about the same physical dimensions does get better battery life than the z30, while having a full HD screen to boot- because they managed to fit in a 3050mah battery.

But this thread is about the passport. With its high res screen, and likely large 3,000 mah battery I don't see any chance of its battery life being significantly better or worse than android devices of similar spec. If they manage to fit in a battery closer to 4,000mah, the story will be completely different then.
    Last edited by afhstingray; 08-11-14 at 04:57 AM.
    08-11-14 04:45 AM
    Passport has a more efficient (read: better battery life) processor and a larger mAH capacity than the Z30.
    I'm not comparing the passport to the z30. If you read my post again, I was responding to the claim that the passport would beat any android in battery life.

I was merely stating that the q5,q10,z30 had good battery life compared to other devices when they first came out because of their small screen/low res screen/dual core processors when quad core and hd were becoming mainstream
    08-11-14 04:49 AM
    Is this because in the other thread the guy with the OnePlus one showed you graphs that demolished the z30 in batt life? I'm not sure if anyone cares about the battery specific size, more about the size of the phone. And yes, the xiaomi mi3, which costs less than the z30 and is about the same physical dimensions does get better battery life than the z30, while having a full HD screen to boot- because they managed to fit in a 3050mah battery.

But this thread is about the passport. With its high res screen, and likely large 3,000 mah battery I don't see any chance of its battery life being significantly better or worse than android devices of similar spec. If they manage to fit in a battery closer to 4,000mah, the story will be completely different then.
    No idea what thread you're talking about. And I highly doubt that the xiaomi mii 3 with its 3050 mah battery last longer than the Z30 with its 2880mah in real word usage tests.

The passport has 3450mah not 3000 and it will last longer than any android phones not only because of the larger battery but also 10.3's optimisation.

Differentiate or Die
    08-11-14 06:12 AM
    No idea what thread you're talking about. And I highly doubt that the xiaomi mii 3 with its 3050 mah battery last longer than the Z30 with its 2880mah in real word usage tests.

The passport has 3450mah not 3000 and it will last longer than any android phones not only because of the larger battery but also 10.3's optimisation.

Differentiate or Die
    BlackBerry 10 isn't power optimised. It's optimised for performance, in particular the browser is a big battery hog, but that's a trade off I'm willing to make instead of iOS ****ty performing browser that's optimised for power consumption. Chrome is somewhere between the two. Another battery hog is the "real" multitasking. Again, a trade off I'm happy to make. So please, while these are all positives, your statement that somehow BlackBerry 10 is more frugal on power consumption is wrong.

If it does have a 3450mah battery, then it very likely will be better than current androids. Let's wait and see though, as there are a lot of new phones coming in september in time for the holiday season.
    08-11-14 06:28 AM
    The screen is super amoled?

via ? Z30
    08-11-14 06:33 AM

via ? Z30
    I sincerely hope not. Super amoled has come a long way, but still sucks for colour accuracy and longevity. I pass on my phones to family members so that's an issue let for me. I really wonder what happened to super amoled+
    08-11-14 08:30 AM

via ? Z30
    No, it's IPS LCD.
    08-11-14 09:27 AM
    Great, I prefer IPS over Amoled. IPS is actually a premium LCD technology that's know for having a wide viewing angle, clear picture and natural colors.

via ? Z30
    08-11-14 10:28 AM
    BlackBerry 10 isn't power optimised. It's optimised for performance, in particular the browser is a big battery hog, but that's a trade off I'm willing to make instead of iOS ****ty performing browser that's optimised for power consumption. Chrome is somewhere between the two. Another battery hog is the "real" multitasking. Again, a trade off I'm happy to make. So please, while these are all positives, your statement that somehow BlackBerry 10 is more frugal on power consumption is wrong.

If it does have a 3450mah battery, then it very likely will be better than current androids. Let's wait and see though, as there are a lot of new phones coming in september in time for the holiday season.
    I don't trust any battery "tests" which haven't been done in a closed environment. There are so many factors in today's devices which affect battery performances. It starts with connectivity: Carriers, WiFi strength even location the test I performed. Next is apps and background processes, followed by standard stuff like configured and synced accounts. A device which just has one Gmail and a Facebook account to handle is different than one which has four mail accounts, Facebook, Twitter and two IM services running.

Cross-platform comparisons per se appear to be rather difficult, I expect in the Android world there is also an impact whether the phone uses an OEM customized UI vs. the pure Google launcher. When browsing on my 1020 I can almost watch the battery getting drained, especially when network connection is a bit tricky.

About the Passports battery: Blackberry announced the Passport would sport the largest smartphone battery to date with 3450mAH. While I don't know if that's true, the Nokia Lumia 1520 and 1320 both come with 3400mAH batteries. Even though they have huge 6" fullHD/HD screens, reviewers praised their impressive battery performances, and Windows Phone ain't light on the battery either.
    08-11-14 10:56 AM
    Great, I prefer IPS over Amoled. IPS is actually a premium LCD technology that's know for having a wide viewing angle, clear picture and natural colors.

via ? Z30
    Most every AMOLDED display I've seen looks too dark, especially if you go outside. Comparing a Z10 side-by-side with a Z30, there is a big difference in quality that can be seen by the naked eye. I know part of that is due to the lower PPI of the Z30 screen. But the brightness of the Z10 LCD screen is just better for me personally.
    08-11-14 01:34 PM
    The snapdragon 800, is used in the new Amazon Fire Phone, which has a 720p display and dynamic perspective UI /DISPLAY technology.

It's going to be interesting to see the average and high usage running times for the Passport with it's 1440/1440 supposed LCD IPS display.
    08-12-14 02:52 AM
    Most every AMOLDED display I've seen looks too dark, especially if you go outside. Comparing a Z10 side-by-side with a Z30, there is a big difference in quality that can be seen by the naked eye. I know part of that is due to the lower PPI of the Z30 screen. But the brightness of the Z10 LCD screen is just better for me personally.
    Because AMOLED screens each pixel is a little light. It's hard to get AMOLED screens bright technologically speaking.

LCD's have giant back lights, so they're generally brighter.
    08-12-14 03:16 AM
    I don't trust any battery "tests" which haven't been done in a closed environment. There are so many factors in today's devices which affect battery performances. It starts with connectivity: Carriers, WiFi strength even location the test I performed. Next is apps and background processes, followed by standard stuff like configured and synced accounts. A device which just has one Gmail and a Facebook account to handle is different than one which has four mail accounts, Facebook, Twitter and two IM services running.

Cross-platform comparisons per se appear to be rather difficult, I expect in the Android world there is also an impact whether the phone uses an OEM customized UI vs. the pure Google launcher. When browsing on my 1020 I can almost watch the battery getting drained, especially when network connection is a bit tricky.

About the Passports battery: Blackberry announced the Passport would sport the largest smartphone battery to date with 3450mAH. While I don't know if that's true, the Nokia Lumia 1520 and 1320 both come with 3400mAH batteries. Even though they have huge 6" fullHD/HD screens, reviewers praised their impressive battery performances, and Windows Phone ain't light on the battery either.
    There are loads of tests being done, even with screens calibrated to be the same brightness to remove that variable. Sadly, some of the crack(berry)heads here wail about how it's not reflective of real world usage. You know what they say right, it's like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the bird will crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    08-14-14 01:02 PM
75 123