I understand that, but major difference is not about the 0.2Ghz speed. The most significant improvement on 801 is the power management system where it consumes significant less power and much battery friendly.

BlackBerry Z10 10.2.1.3175
    SenorPistachio likes this.
    08-07-14 03:33 AM
    I understand that, but major difference is not about the 0.2Ghz speed. The most significant improvement on 801 is the power management system where it consumes significant less power and much battery friendly.

Source? I believe it has a higher power envelope. Clock speed isn't free and usually requires an increase to voltage
    08-07-14 07:40 PM
    The device hardware is usually the determinant of its life expectancy...

Posted via CB10
    Not at all these days. It's directly proportional to software support. Hardware as reached the point of high diminishing returns.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    08-07-14 08:31 PM
    Good catch. I did my research again, and it turned out that it was the 805 has the power management advantages over 800/801.

Thanks for the correction tho.

08-08-14 01:53 AM
    How confirmed are the other specs (3GB ram etc)

Check Out TechCraze
    08-08-14 02:10 AM
    Snapdragon 800 (8974AA). I've asked a Passport user.

Posted via CB10
    That ******* lame that it doesn't have 801
    08-08-14 06:45 AM
    Twin turbo 4.4L V8. But hey, who's counting?!

Posted via CB10
    That's on the 2015 BMW M5.

Peaks at 560 horsepower between 6,000 and 7,000 rpms and churns out 502 lb-ft. of torque from just 1,500 rpms.

Just say'n to the person who pulled those fake stats out of thin air.
    Djlatino likes this.
    08-08-14 06:46 AM
    Some basic benchmarking stats.... but these don't tell the whole story. Like the 805 might be very good extending battery life...

Attachment 289636

Passport is going to look different and it will have the physical / virtual interface which is different.... But Flagship Specs, it does not have.

Now some here will say it doesn't need them. Sometimes need has nothing to do with it.
    08-08-14 07:12 AM
    Some basic benchmarking stats.... but these don't tell the whole story. Like the 805 might be very good extending battery life...

Attachment 289636

Passport is going to look different and it will have the physical / virtual interface which is different.... But Flagship Specs, it does not have.

Now some here will say it doesn't need them. Sometimes need has nothing to do with it.
    I understand why they haven't opted for the 805. The chip was not around at the time. However, they really should have opted for the 801, and most definitely not chosen the 800 and downclock it, of all things.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-08-14 09:29 AM
    I understand why they haven't opted for the 805. The chip was not around at the time. However, they really should have opted for the 801, and most definitely not chosen the 800 and downclock it, of all things.

But when was the 801 first available? Keep in mind, BlackBerry 10 on 8974 was in development since very early 10.2 (June 2013 or so), and the Passport's specs were finalized in September 2013.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 09:32 AM
    But when was the 801 first available? Keep in mind, BlackBerry 10 on 8974 was in development since very early 10.2 (June 2013 or so), and the Passport's specs were finalized in September 2013.

Posted via CB10
    You could be right. I don't know exactly when the 801 became readily available, but it starts to show up in media coverage this year, so I'm guessing either very late 2013 or early 2014. That however does not explain the apparent decision to tune down the 800. Battery life does, though they could have just gone further then and make another Z30-like slug.

08-08-14 09:38 AM
    You could be right. I don't know exactly when the 801 became readily available, but it starts to show up in media coverage this year, so I'm guessing either very late 2013 or early 2014. That however does not explain the apparent decision to tune down the 800. Battery life does, though they could have just gone further then and make another Z30-like slug.

I'm not sure what you mean by "slug"?

They dropped the core clock speed to save on battery so that they didn't need to compromise on the screen - because they sure as hell didn't compromise there!

I think you'll find that the passport will get around the same battery performance as or just slightly better than the Z30. The Z30 has a much slower processor and GPU; and the screen is designed and software-inhibited to ensure that it doesn't use much battery. The Z30 has fantastic battery life and I think any device will struggle to be much better without compromise in some way.
    08-08-14 09:52 AM
    I'm not sure what you mean by "slug"?

They dropped the core clock speed to save on battery so that they didn't need to compromise on the screen - because they sure as hell didn't compromise there!

I think you'll find that the passport will get around the same battery performance as or just slightly better than the Z30. The Z30 has a much slower processor and GPU; and the screen is designed and software-inhibited to ensure that it doesn't use much battery. The Z30 has fantastic battery life and I think any device will struggle to be much better without compromise in some way.
    By "slug" I mean that it is as slow as a slug. Android app performance on the Z30 is the equivalent of Android devices from 2011. Whether we like it or not, Android is a critical part of BB10, and that means we need horsepower to run it well. Android is hardly functional on low-spec devices. That's why I'm not thrilled that Blackberry is going with a reduced clock speed or a lesser chip.

Also, to preempt any Android defenders that may disagree on my assessment of that OS...i am an Android user as well. This was posted from an LG G2 running the latest KitKat release and I've had several Android devices over the years, including devices dating back to Froyo.

08-08-14 10:58 AM
    By "slug" I mean that it is as slow as a slug. Android app performance on the Z30 is the equivalent of Android devices from 2011. Whether we like it or not, Android is a critical part of BB10, and that means we need horsepower to run it well. Android is hardly functional on low-spec devices. That's why I'm not thrilled that Blackberry is going with a reduced clock speed or a lesser chip.

Also, to preempt any Android defenders that may disagree on my assessment of that OS...i am an Android user as well. This was posted from an LG G2 running the latest KitKat release and I've had several Android devices over the years, including devices dating back to Froyo.

That's why I don't like android apps. But I heard the android runtime is better on 10.3.
    08-08-14 11:08 AM
    That's why I don't like android apps. But I heard the android runtime is better on 10.3.
    SW optimization can only go that far, in the end, specs matters.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    08-08-14 11:11 AM

You must be that amazing android dude way back 2010! cheers! Add me on facebook and give me lives at candy crush...

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 11:16 AM
    You must be that amazing android dude way back 2010! cheers! Add me on facebook and give me lives at candy crush...

Posted via CB10
    Huh? O_o

If that was an attempt at being funny, or clever, or even snarky, it failed miserably. Sorry.

For the record I've used Blackberry as my primary device since 2005-ish or so...last few months I've been without one and exclusively on Android only because of the fact I wanted to offload my Z30 while I could still sell it for a decent price.

Moopusmaximus likes this.
    08-08-14 11:56 AM

Posted via CB10
    Why would they finalize the specs a year in advance. Seems a bit hard to believe
    08-08-14 12:05 PM
    Why would they finalize the specs a year in advance. Seems a bit hard to believe
    This I can understand actually. If you truly want the device to be near flawless, it takes a lot of time and effort to test it thoroughly and then a few months to manufacture it all. Now, if the Passport hits the market and it has issues despite having a year to work on it with a finalized design, well, that would be really lame.
    08-08-14 12:29 PM
    This I can understand actually. If you truly want the device to be near flawless, it takes a lot of time and effort to test it thoroughly and then a few months to manufacture it all. Now, if the Passport hits the market and it has issues despite having a year to work on it with a finalized design, well, that would be really lame.
    You mean issues like the STL-100-1 and battery calibration......

Most issues are software related, and the software is always a moving target. They designed this thing, put it on a back burner when the launch crashed and burned, and Chen brought it back out because it was so different and he saw an opportunity for some quick cash. But he left everything as is because it would help keep cost down to not upgrade everything to the top of the line hardware.

The Passport isn't gong to be anymore "flawless" than the iPhone 6 will be. It is meant to bring in revenues, not marketshare.
    dejanh likes this.
    08-08-14 03:20 PM
    You mean issues like the STL-100-1 and battery calibration......

Most issues are software related, and the software is always a moving target. They designed this thing, put it on a back burner when the launch crashed and burned, and Chen brought it back out because it was so different and he saw an opportunity for some quick cash. But he left everything as is because it would help keep cost down to not upgrade everything to the top of the line hardware.

The Passport isn't gong to be anymore "flawless" than the iPhone 6 will be. It is meant to bring in revenues, not marketshare.
    I'm keeping an open mind but I'm definitely in agreement with what you said. I don't believe that this device was designed from scratch under JC's watch. I think that you are spot on when saying that it was resurrected.
    08-08-14 05:33 PM

Well as far as I know the Apple A7 has two cores clocked at 1.3GHz and runs pretty decent. So why not downclock an 800 as well to conserve battery life if performance is still up to snuff from a user experience standpoint? After all BB10 isn't Android.
    Daveensannie likes this.
    08-09-14 04:41 AM
    Well as far as I know the Apple A7 has two cores clocked at 1.3GHz and runs pretty decent. So why not downclock an 800 as well to conserve battery life if performance is still up to snuff from a user experience standpoint? After all BB10 isn't Android.
    You've got a point there

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 04:46 AM
    Problem is, iPhone doesn't need to run android apps where BlackBerry does. If we have much better app ecosystem, obviously we won't need such powerful CPU. However, unfortunately don't have such ecosystem ND definitely it's better to have a better hardware spec.

dejanh likes this.
    08-09-14 09:02 AM
    Problem is, iPhone doesn't need to run android apps where BlackBerry does. If we have much better app ecosystem, obviously we won't need such powerful CPU. However, unfortunately don't have such ecosystem ND definitely it's better to have a better hardware spec.

Precisely. We need to run Android apps. They need raw power. Comparing Apple to Blackberry 10 is comparing apples and oranges at this time, pun not intended.

08-09-14 10:03 AM
75 123