So my Passport order directly prompted it's manufacture, and is built specifically to fulfill my order?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 08:14 PM
    To some degree. It's a batch manufacturing process...to mitigate risk when determining market response to a new product from a company that's basically putting a lot of its eggs in one basket. In the case of the iPhone...the risk is much much less due to market analysis based on historical demand. In the case of BlackBerry, it isn't. Obviously, this will change as they start to understand the overwhelming response from the market, demand from carriers, etc. But for now...it's a learning curve...and they have to ( as cost effective as possible. That being said...I'm also stuck in the infamous "Boxed Shipment" status! Woohoo!

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 08:20 PM
    But the VIPs aren't back ordered.

Founder and fearless leader of the Peevishlicious Crew
    10-08-14 08:25 PM
    But the VIPs aren't back ordered.

Founder and fearless leader of the Peevishlicious Crew
    Unfortunately for us that ordered VIP it appears they are MIA

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 08:29 PM
    I just checked their website and the Blackberry US/Canada (VIP Edition) is no longer there.

Would someone else check this and verify?
    10-08-14 08:30 PM
    The other side to this is the freight cost associated with transportation from factory to distribution centers to customers. They will want to ensure that every single inch of volume is filled...so even if there is inventory...it'll be released once that container is filled and so on and so forth. Logistics is a tricky game... and new product releases with overwhelming demand most always impact eager passionate customers...ironic/oxymoronic considering we are usually the indirect promoters of the brand/product. It will smoothen out over time..the question is how fast can they scale...or will they?

Posted via CB10
    Warlack likes this.
    10-08-14 08:36 PM
    So my Passport order directly prompted it's manufacture, and is built specifically to fulfill my order?

Posted via CB10
    Your order is in a queue and is getting built After the previous order of maybe 1 unit or 10000 units.

Most of the time they create batch breaks of a few hundred units for those single units.... all very complicated to keep your device, your order fulfilled.

All different keyboards and so on are different BOM (build order material) codes and it takes a few brainiacs to keep the output at maximum and to allow a quick fulfilment.

And most of the times your single order is just a massive pain in the bum....

The VIP edition came up since there have been no orders placed on it and the DR just put it up to satisfy demand.

Different BOM, complicated to do on the fly, so always a large batch is getting created. The few that have been made available was to fill the batch capacity.

All in all: supply chains are a very nice way to get grey hair, high blood pressure and a divorce.....

Now with digital river, you get to know about it first hand.

As a side note:
    When you are a big enterprise and you deal directly with a vendor:
    For the better price you get a worse service and the same pain to deal with....

Feel yourself upgraded to Enterprise class citizen!

This is why in big companies you plan in months and quarters and not days or weeks ;-)

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632 and a Z30
    10-08-14 08:37 PM
    I think we can all agree calling DR serves no purpose and they are useless.

I did call Blackberry directly, Waterloo # today and was told their shopblackberry website is owned and handled by a third party. They transferred me to a sales person to discuss the issue and to bring to their attention of the issue with DR and lack of shipping info. Of course I received his VM and no call back. I really hope BB is aware of this as they do not need any bad press. I am optimistic that things will work out and we will receive our passports but its unfortunate we are all BB fans and want to support them and purchase the passport but we can't get it. This mess up would not happen with apple.
    10-08-14 08:38 PM
    Exactly

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 08:39 PM
    "Exactly" was to Warlack's post.

In reference to Apple...I believe a few of their releases were very frustrating to early adopters. Secondly, Apple controls their own POS to customers...whereas BlackBerry outsources theirs to cut costs. If BlackBerry demand grows to the scale of iPhone demand...BlackBerry will have already rebaselined their volumes and improved their POS or even possibly brought it back in-house to compete with Apple, etc. For the moment...this is what we get with a company that is trying to provide the best possible service at the lowest possible overhead. We get "Boxed Shipment!"

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 08:50 PM
    I think we can all agree calling DR serves no purpose and they are useless.

I did call Blackberry directly, Waterloo # today and was told their shopblackberry website is owned and handled by a third party. They transferred me to a sales person to discuss the issue and to bring to their attention of the issue with DR and lack of shipping info. Of course I received his VM and no call back. I really hope BB is aware of this as they do not need any bad press. I am optimistic that things will work out and we will receive our passports but its unfortunate we are all BB fans and want to support them and purchase the passport but we can't get it. This mess up would not happen with apple.
    Yeah....... with apple you are getting the same. You just have a massive queueing system that tells you: the iPhone you have ordered is not available for another month. You should have stood outside our stores to get it.

All you did was take the time of a few people in the office there who get bombarded with your such queries and then a sales rep who is dealing with big customers is taking the time to have a look, after listening to your VM and thinking: great! I have stuck with this company when they were going belly up, I have a few deals to close, a few hundred devices here, a few licenses there....
    I need to take care of a few support issues that have been escalated to me and I need to figure out how to pitch the passport in my next meeting to the new account.

Now I have to find time to get the 20 or so customers satisfied. All I have is a VM with their phone number.
    I have no clue about all that....
    Who can I pass it on to....

OK.... my manager....
    Hey Tom,
    Please do something about DR. I have no idea if D ick is still dealing with it, but I put him on CC.

I get bombarded with consumers not getting their phones.
    Attached: all VMs since lunch.

Cheers,
    Harry

Good..... at least they want to buy it.... whatever we do.... we do it wrong and people just hate us.... should have taken that job @apple.

No matter what I would do there, I'd sell the stuff.... and no need to deal with with everything just because they sacked everyone.....

Well.... time to get a coffe

This is how I felt a few times in that position....

10-08-14 09:01 PM
    What interests me...is what Amazon's take on this is. I'm sure they are annoyed since they get a margin from every sale and might potentially lose that for every order that cancels. They also might not care based on a fixed bid agreement with BlackBerry. I personally believe they do care and are also annoyed. They want in on the initial flood of demand.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 09:01 PM
    Hope this works in November
    10-08-14 09:08 PM
    I've noticed a few people in the states have their packages shipping out of Indianapolis Indiana. Does BlackBerry have a warehouse I need to know about?
    10-08-14 09:09 PM
    It's the wearhouse for FedEx

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 09:13 PM
    What interests me...is what Amazon's take on this is. I'm sure they are annoyed since they get a margin from every sale and might potentially lose that for every order that cancels. They also might not care based on a fixed bid agreement with BlackBerry. I personally believe they do care and are also annoyed. They want in on the initial flood of demand.

Posted via CB10
    They get from the salesrep, whom I called Harry in the post just above, a nice fixed price for X amount of units.
    The orders go through a distributor and amazon pays the distributor.
    They don't care if you cancel or not.
    They get a cut out of every phone you buy. If they lose one now, they will sell one later..... if you return it, it is marked as a B unit and can be bought a few months later for a cheaper price from the distribution if it is in PERFECT condition. Otherwise it is back to the factory and carriers.....

All those units you see as refurbished are mainly just units that someone returned after buying it online.
    They are in a sense Brand new...

Damaged phones are despised as they need to be fixed (time and money)

They either end up with the manufacturer who has a batch process or they are getting further sold on to another company that makes some money out of selling repaired phones in another market where the demand is there for slightly scuffed phones.... Africa, comes to mind....

10-08-14 09:15 PM
    It's the wearhouse for FedEx

Posted via CB10
    In the tracking info from the FedEx website, it says the package was picked up in Indianapolis Indiana. Going by that info, the Passport started it's journey in Indiana.
    10-08-14 09:18 PM
    In the tracking info from the FedEx website, it says the package was picked up in Indianapolis Indiana. Going by that info, the Passport started it's journey in Indiana.
    Yep! Mine is now in Wisconsin! Grrr!!
    10-08-14 09:25 PM
    I've noticed a few people in the states have their packages shipping out of Indianapolis Indiana. Does BlackBerry have a warehouse I need to know about?
    FedEx pics up a truckload of phones from Mexico, and in Indianapolis they actually go through all the packs and finally deliver them...

The factory picks all orders and makes them ready, but FedEx gets them delivered to their doors....the cheapest way possible.... and then deals with them....

I try to keep it simple, but it is truly highly complex...

To see what I mean do the following: Connect to a VPN, go through a proxy and connect to another client via citrix, connect to another vpn, and get a proxy to connect to your FTP server on your PC.

Run a ping.... how long is it?
    Run a trace route.... how many hops are in there?

Yeah.... it makes you wonder.... especially when most of the traffic eines up circling the world because it is the cheapest way to route your traffic.

Welcome to logistics

10-08-14 09:25 PM
    Unfortunately for us that ordered VIP it appears they are MIA

Posted via CB10
    hello everyone

so I ordered vip passport with coupon on Friday last week 1130pm Toronto time

got email of order

next day got confirmation

no back order no cancel and no shipping email just the 2 above

I called digital river today I told them I want my escalated to the managers manager I pretended to be a company trying to buy 200 units

got to a gentleman named phil at this point I pretended it was a mix up and I was just calling about tracking an order and before he could transfer I told him I was on hold too long and he better help me

I explained that I bought vip unit it was available to buy etc so it should be in stock and why haven't I got my shipping

he went on to explain that fed ex is getting all orders shipped to them in co-ordination with digital river on behalf of blackberry and ge also explained that there have been many mix ups and they are trying to correct it all they have known fact that by this week they should tracking numbers sent

no disrespect to bberry but whether they going after large market or niche market a company with operating cah flow of 3 billion dollars should have these issues no excuse nothing

im in the executive retail sector where we have direct channels to customers for our product online and in store and these things shouldn't happen for this long without being fixed asap ... just saying

hope this helps ... still waiting for mine
    swishhh likes this.
    10-08-14 09:39 PM
    Yeah.... it is hard... cheers for the info.... having worked for the "big boys" I see it all the time....

It should be better but it isn't) =

10-08-14 09:45 PM
    Yeah....... with apple you are getting the same. You just have a massive queueing system that tells you: the iPhone you have ordered is not available for another month. You should have stood outside our stores to get it.

You hit it on the head. They now need to set expectations to calm the villagers by putting a popup on their web page, "due to the high demand........"
    10-08-14 09:51 PM
    It's "there"...
    BlackBerry US Online Store - BlackBerry Passport - Black (US/Canada)
    You just can't order it anymore.
    =(

I just checked their website and the Blackberry US/Canada (VIP Edition) is no longer there.

Would someone else check this and verify?
    10-08-14 09:52 PM
    How do I back order?

Z10 in hand. Passport in mind.
    10-08-14 10:23 PM
    When you can place an order when there is no stock....

RafiqK likes this.
    10-08-14 10:29 PM
1,654 ... 5455565758 ...