Hey guys,

My PP is on the way and I had a few questions that I couldn't really find direct answers to. Any help is greatly appreciated!

1) I am going to be adding myself onto a family plan with AT&T, and I've been reading about some sort of subsidy that they add onto phones that aren't unlocked, or something to that effect. This will be my first unlocked phone, and so I'm not really sure what the direct benefits are. I'm hearing that I'm still tied into a contract regardless? Is this true? Also, since I'll be creating a new family plan with one other person, will this person have to automatically renew their contract as well? I guess I'm just asking in general what the benefits of an unlocked phone are and how it works with getting a cheaper rate/how it works with contracts.

2) Kind of a side question and less important, my PP tracking info is showing that its at my local destination sorting facility from FedEx. I could easily drive and get it since that facility is in my city - is this possible or do I have to wait until Monday when its supposed to be delivered? Anyone have experience with this?

Anxious to set up my PP!
    IchigoMochi likes this.
    10-18-14 12:50 PM
    Really don't know the family plan q. I'm unlocked on att and just plopped the sim in. Works great. I love this device more day by day!

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 01:00 PM
    1) They offer a discount on service if you BYOD, or don't buy subsidized phone from them (i.e. at full price.) Apparently, a two year contract is NOT required for this discount, see here: BYOP - Bring Your Own Phone or Tablet to AT&T and Save, under the FAQ 'What are the benefits of the new Mobile Share Value plans?'

Whether the phone is unlocked or not doesn't really matter. It just needs to be AT&T compatible.

2) You can do that if it's a distribution facility (and not just a sorting center.) Make sure you have a picture ID on you, and having a copy of the order with a tracking number shown would be a good idea too.
    10-18-14 01:03 PM
    You will not need to sign a contract so that is a benefit of bringing your own phone. Also your line fee will be $15 as opposed to $30 or $40 depending on your data plan so you will save money on your monthly bill.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 01:07 PM
    Thanks a bunch guys! I'll bring sure to bring this stuff up at ATT so they don't try and slide anything past me. As for FedEx, its at an actual store and everything, but according to the rep I spoke to its in a 'large container' that won't be opened until Monday.

I have no complaints though since most people have waited much longer than I have.
    10-18-14 06:00 PM
    You will not need to sign a contract so that is a benefit of bringing your own phone. Also your line fee will be $15 as opposed to $30 or $40 depending on your data plan so you will save money on your monthly bill.

Posted via CB10
    You'll get a discounted monthly device access fee of $25 for shared data plans under 10Gb, and a discounted fee of $15 for shared data plans of 10GB and over.

I switched from Verizon for the Passport onto their no-annual contract mobile share value plan. I just didn't want a contract, since I already had my device,.. the discount made it even better.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 06:06 PM