So I have been using the passport since launch day and like the device quite a bit, and I get that it won't be perfect but some things have not improved with the updates...

Lock button - need something fast. Pull it out of my pocket and hit the lock button to turn the screen on (have the swipe feature off, since it would activate in the pocket), and wait... 1, 2, 3 seconds. Give up and press it again, then it catches up and turns it on and off, since I pressed it the second time. I press it again, one second delay. Seriously, wtf is up with this. I hit the button, I expect it to turn the phone immediately. Anybody else experience this and how have you improved it.

BBM / texts - Talking to my wife and having the back and forth convo, switch to a diff app then back to the convo as I got a new reply. What happens is that when it switches it doesn't activate the text box option for instantly. So what are you actually thinking? I am switching to the text app to look at pretty pictures? Soooo, sloppy. Fix that with a Damn update. Pleaseee. It slows me down a lot. Have to hit the text box a few times till it is ready to type in.

Typing - happens at least once a couple of days. I am typing fast, thinking "look at me go, I am loving the keyboard" and then I look up and the phone is frozen (not frozen but the text is stopped inputting mid word, as if it is out of ram). Wait 5 to 10 seconds and then I can type again.

APPs - hangouts not available but Google talk is native, so you think it would work. Nope, too much to ask for a native app to actually work properly. If I am looking at the Gmail convo and there are chats that are missing from my conversation. How can I trust that I am getting the right information, when I can't even trust the native app. It's FEB 6th. On launch day presentation Chen said that the new and specifically developed bloomberg pro app would be out by end of October. Well it's 3 months later and the app that got me loving the berry in the first place is not available as native, just a stupid android port. Some apps don't integrate well into the whole hub thing. KaoKao is a good example. I need to use it constantly, to communicate with my colleagues and it's intermittent in terms of reliability - but oh well, I have officially given up.

A lot of apps crash, like Pandora but I guess it's not such a big deal as I have seen the same crashes on my other devices. I get that blackberry wants to go it alone without being bought out, as the enterprise value of the firm increases with each successful launch and device introduction. Either way, the changes or updates to address the simple issues, not talking bout device redesign really need to come faster.

If you have the above issues and have resolved them in a successful way, please let me know how you have done so and what are the steps that you took to actually diagnose the issue. "Switch to a different device" is not a solution I am looking for. Just trying to work these quirks out.

Thanks.
    02-07-15 10:33 AM
    Also did not proof read the original post, so excuse the typos and grammar mistakes.
    02-07-15 10:34 AM
    Oooops... forgot a big one.

I have an email address that I don't want updated unless I do so manually. I added it to hub, but turned it off from showing up at hub. Still updates and downloads the emails on its own and adds to the unread count, which I specifically tuned off. I am not sure there is a workaround but this needs to be addressed. If I set it to not download automatically and not show up in hub, why are you adding to my unread email count? Distracting to say the least.
    02-07-15 10:41 AM
    I use the Seidio case and holster so pulling it out of the holster turns the phone on without fail. You might want to get a case or a case holster with the magnet function to resolve the first problem as it works for me now. The bbm text issue is annoying for sure and that should be an easy software fix. I can't comment on some of the apps as I don't use the ones you referred to. I haven't experienced a 5 to 10 second stopage when typing ever so I'm not sure what's up with that.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 10:45 AM
    I use the Seidio case and holster so pulling it out of the holster turns the phone on without fail. You might want to get a case or a case holster with the magnet function to resolve the first problem as it works for me now. The bbm text issue is annoying for sure and that should be an easy software fix. I can't comment on some of the apps as I don't use the ones you referred to. I haven't experienced a 5 to 10 second stopage when typing ever so I'm not sure what's up with that.

Posted via CB10
    It is very difficult for me to use the phone with any case on since I love the bare feel and don't like to fumble with a case in the other hand. I do like the pouches but I don't think this is an option for me. Glad it is working properly for you though. Thanks for the reply.
    02-07-15 11:22 AM
    What do you mean Google talk is native?

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 12:22 PM
    What do you mean Google talk is native?

Posted via CB10
    I guess it you are right. Just checked and looks like it's not a "made for blackberry" app. My mistake. Still doesn't work properly though, therefore, can't really use it effectively.
    02-07-15 12:53 PM
    For your second issue (cursor focus in BBM/texts), hit R and the focus will go to the input box, and you can start typing away.
    02-07-15 01:43 PM
    For your second issue (cursor focus in BBM/texts), hit R and the focus will go to the input box, and you can start typing away.
    Will def give it a try. Thank you for the tip.
    02-07-15 02:41 PM
    I guess it you are right. Just checked and looks like it's not a "made for blackberry" app. My mistake. Still doesn't work properly though, therefore, can't really use it effectively.
    Yea, My company uses Google hangouts extensively. The current Google talk is sub par. (Heck it is Google Talk, the pre Google Hangout rebranding.) For me it is better than nothing. I can get messages and respond.

Not having Hangouts is the LAST gripe I have about BB10. But not a deal killer at all. That said, google hangouts, in some ways is kinda hitting it's limits. My company also started to use Slack on some projects, and the android app works great on BB10.
    02-08-15 02:17 PM
    1, press U to unlock. I'm doing it without fail or delay on my PP.
    3, what apps are you typing on when it freezes?

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 05:25 PM
    I am having the same issues as you...still better phone for me than the alternatives. One thing I'm trying to work thru which is becoming increasingly difficult with work apps is not having android notifications. If these are going to be work devices we still need fully functioning work apps.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 07:38 PM