Some recent bugs I've come across. Anyone else experience similar issues?

1. Took phone out of pocket, set it on my center console in my truck. 20 minutes later I picked phone up and I thought it was going to explode into flames it was so hot. Phone would not work for the rest of my 40 minute ride. Screen stayed black. 5 minutes from work the phone rang and it's worked ever since. This happened about a week ago.

2. I was about to get in bed and see my phone was fully charged. I unplugged it and set it on the night stand. I wake up several hours later and the phone is at 5% left on battery. Nothing was running on the phone. Just drained on is own.

3. Haven't gotten full screen flicker as of a week or so ago. It seems to now be just at the bottom of the screen or the app just locks up completely.

Any known fixes or answers why these things are happening?

Makes me laugh I've had more issues in the passed couple months having this passport then I've had combined with the past three HTC android based phones over several years.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 09:54 PM
    What is the current OS and have you downloaded any Apps lately?
    06-14-15 10:04 PM
    I can sorta answer question one... I've never experienced any other issue that you had so far nor this overheating, but being a Technician/ Systems Engineer I've seen my fair share equipment failures.

I know electronics are prone to over heating and need a good cooling feature, like fans or opening to help cool down components.
    Heat is not good for electronics, so it sounds like the Passport has a built in feature to shut down the phone to protect itself from over heating and destroying vital chip components.

Once the phone (not necessarily just BlackBerry but many cellular phones) cools down top a certain temperature, the screen will start up and the phone will become fully functional.

Post from my Passport or my Z30 or my Playbook
    06-14-15 10:08 PM
    If you have warranty, just get on with BlackBerry. If the phone is as hot as you say it is, that's a potential fire hazard that demands immediate service. No fixes or tips here would even be appropriate at this point.

What if the phone had exploded in your truck while you were driving? You could have been seriously hurt and the victim of a traffic accident. Even worse, you could have hurt somebody else in the process.

No fixes or tips, get that device replaced or repaired.

-- Passport, Virgin Mobile (Toronto)
    06-14-15 10:11 PM
    OS 10.3.1.1372 it's what came with the ATT PP

I understand the whole overheat fail safe but why would it over heat just sitting there doing nothing? Wasn't hot in the car either.

No new apps installed.
    06-14-15 10:11 PM
    If you have warranty, just get on with BlackBerry. If the phone is as hot as you say it is, that's a potential fire hazard that demands immediate service. No fixes or tips here would even be appropriate at this point.

What if the phone had exploded in your truck while you were driving? You could have been seriously hurt and the victim of a traffic accident. Even worse, you could have hurt somebody else in the process.

No fixes or tips, get that device replaced or repaired.

-- Passport, Virgin Mobile (Toronto)
    The sky is fallen, The sky is fallen....
    06-14-15 10:17 PM

I understand the whole overheat fail safe but why would it over heat just sitting there doing nothing? Wasn't hot in the car either.

No new apps installed.
    This OS is version 10.3.1.1955 (software 1372). It is from Dec18 of last year.

Although this is still the most current OS being provided by AT&T (for shame), the OS has improved a lot since then.

We are currently at 10.3.2.2204. You may wish to take it upon yourself to update.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2204
    06-14-15 10:22 PM
    The sky is fallen, The sky is fallen....
    Why don't you speak plainly instead of responding with smart *** remarks.

Oh and it's "the sky is falling, the sky is falling!". If you're gonna quote lines from Chicken Little, at least have the decency to get it right so you don't come off looking like a fool.

The OP said that the phone was hot enough to the touch that it felt like it would explode. That sounds like a very serious issue to me. If you have a phone on the verge of exploding, you don't tinker with it...you get it fixed.

Unless the original story was an exaggeration.
    06-14-15 10:50 PM
    The 'screen flickering' and 'battery' issues can be resolved by reinstalling the latest official OS and settling it down.

But the 'over heating', I agree with D Ryan, you should return it and demand for a replacement. The mobile phone has tendency to get 'warm' due to CPU / GPU and other semi-conductors that has tendency to generate heat when heavily used... but not to point that it felt like it going to explode...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by joshua_sx1; 06-15-15 at 02:30 AM.
    06-15-15 12:39 AM

No new apps installed.
    Your battery drain issue at night and the heating issue may be related. Try running device monitor (settings > app manager > device monitor) and see what is consuming your battery and also your CPU.

The phone does tend to get hot when the CPU is running high. And given that the steel frame of the Passport also acts as a heat sink it tends to feel warmer to the touch than other phones.

You mentioned no new apps installed, so it might be PIMS that is eating up your process. Usually this means a stuck email, calendar, or contacts stuck in syncing.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 06:23 AM
    I'm back with new info.

Some time has went by and AT&T pushed the new OS. As this may have fixed some old bugs of course some new should arise.

Just the other day my I made a phone call at noon having full bars. About an hour later in the same location I could only make emergency calls. I finish work and head home. On my way home my phone starts alerting me of texts and voicemails. I have service again, only a couple bars. I check alerts, make a call or two, then I'm home. No service again.

I contact AT&T thru mu home PC via chat and they have to send my info to an engineer. Still haven't heard back from them.

Yesterday I drive to the att store. My phone works in there store intermittently. They don't fix phones there. I drive 30 minutes to att repair center.

I arrive at att and repair techs have never seen a passport. Lol. He replaces sim card and no go. He ordered me a new phone.

What the tech told me was, when the phone first turns on and shows the white screen and there's faint lines running through it, that means it overheated at one point and burned the screen, most likely other parts on the phone as well. I told him about the past overheat and he said that could of did it. Sounds like the antenna got cooked as well.

Every week it's something new with this phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 09:06 AM