I have a Passport (10.3.1.1154) and a new Sony micro 10 SD 64 GB card.

I also have a directory on my Mac with a complete backup of my previous 16 GB card from my Z10. If I format the new SD card with Fat 32 on the Mac, I can easily copy everything over from my backup directory to the card using an SD card adapter that goes into the MacBook Pro. But then when I put it in the Passport, it says the phone cannot write to the card.

If I format the card via the Passport, and then put the Passport into USB mode, the Mac says it doesn't recognize the card and can't copy files from it or to it.

The only way to copy files from the Mac SD backup directory I made onto a Passport-formatted SD card is to use Blend or File Manager, and then there seem to be a couple files from the backup directory that won't copy over.

I don't recall this being an issue before with the 16 GB SD card on the Z10. As soon as I put the 64 GB card into the Passport, it DL'ed the driver, so that doesn't seem to be the problem, unless maybe I lost the driver somehow when I installed a 10.3.1.1010 leak the first time via autoloader. Since then I've used only nondestructive loads.

Bottom line is that the card as formatted by the Passport is now working OK, so this isn't a critical issue, but I don't understand the correct way to handle the formatting and backup of the SD card.
    11-27-14 08:11 PM
    That is very interesting!

Seating the SD card was not a problem? Or a turn off completely?
    That helped me when I just pulled my 32GB card out and put it in the Passport.
    11-27-14 11:03 PM
    SD cards with a storage capacity of more then 32 gibibytes need to be formatted to use the exFAT filesystem.

So formatting to FAT-32 like you initially did seems part of the problem.

What version of OS X are you using?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Dodger52; 11-28-14 at 01:00 AM.
    11-28-14 12:48 AM
    I have a Passport (10.3.1.1154) and a new Sony micro 10 SD 64 GB card.

I also have a directory on my Mac with a complete backup of my previous 16 GB card from my Z10. If I format the new SD card with Fat 32 on the Mac, I can easily copy everything over from my backup directory to the card using an SD card adapter that goes into the MacBook Pro. But then when I put it in the Passport, it says the phone cannot write to the card.

If I format the card via the Passport, and then put the Passport into USB mode, the Mac says it doesn't recognize the card and can't copy files from it or to it.

The only way to copy files from the Mac SD backup directory I made onto a Passport-formatted SD card is to use Blend or File Manager, and then there seem to be a couple files from the backup directory that won't copy over.

I don't recall this being an issue before with the 16 GB SD card on the Z10. As soon as I put the 64 GB card into the Passport, it DL'ed the driver, so that doesn't seem to be the problem, unless maybe I lost the driver somehow when I installed a 10.3.1.1010 leak the first time via autoloader. Since then I've used only nondestructive loads.

Bottom line is that the card as formatted by the Passport is now working OK, so this isn't a critical issue, but I don't understand the correct way to handle the formatting and backup of the SD card.
    Use this formatter, and enjoy your 64GB SD card at its full potential

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
    jafobabe, KenV54, workerb and 1 others like this.
    11-28-14 01:30 AM
    SD cards with a storage capacity of more then 32 gibibytes need to be formatted to use the exFAT filesystem.
    This is interesting! I opened up a thread an hour ago with a related problem: Linuxers ... I have a mount problem - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com So, do you mean I should pull my SD card again and rather format it using my Linux machine with an exFAT filesystem? I could easily. Will then my Z30 be able to read and write this correctly? (Why does the BB device not format using exFAT?)
    Last edited by muellerto; 11-28-14 at 02:31 AM.
    11-28-14 02:00 AM
    This is interesting! I opened up a thread an hour ago with a related problem: Linuxers ... I have a mount problem - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com So, do you mean I should pull my SD card again and rather format it using my Linux machine with an exFAT filesystem? I could easily. Will then my Z30 be able to read and write this correctly? (Why does the BB device not format using exFAT?)
    Since OS 10.2.1.3175 BB10 smartphones utilise exFAT drivers and thus recognizes exFAT formatted micro-SD cards.
    Micro-SDXC cards (cards larger then 32GB) are formatted using exFAT as part of the SDXC standard.

I don't know whether or not fat-32 is to blame for your mount issue don' know.

Posted via CB10
    muellerto and KenV54 like this.
    11-28-14 03:49 AM
    Use this formatter, and enjoy your 64GB SD card at its full potential

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
    Mecca, once again you have saved the day! Thanks!

I logged on to the SDcard site, DLed the formatter program for my Macbook, put the 64 GB microSD card into the Mac using an micro-SD to SD adapter, did the Quick Format, and then both the Mac computer and the Passport recognized the card.

But here is a warning to anyone else who does this: the program says that a Quick Format does not erase any data, but, in fact, it erases all the data on the SD card. And when you put the card back in the Blackberry, it again places all the usual Blackberry directories--empty directories--on the Media Card. I had my card backed up, and was easily able to copy back everything from my backup directory on the computer directly to the SD card, overwriting the directories already on there from the Blackberry.

So--if you already have data on your 64 GB SD Card, back it up first, somehow, either onto your Blackberry Device memory or onto your computer, whichever will work, and only then format the card with the SDXC formatter program. Then put the newly formatted but empty card into the Blackberry (but don't format it again from the Blackberry), then restore all your backed up files to the card.
    Mecca EL and jafobabe like this.
    11-28-14 03:10 PM
    Why not just use an SD adapter? Usually microSD comes with one no?

Posted via my Classic Passport
    11-28-14 07:06 PM
    Yes, an SD adapter comes with a micro SD card. As I mentioned in the post--one of them--when formatted by the Blackberry Passport, my Mac did not recognize the micro SD card in the adapter. When formatted by the Mac while in the SD card adapter, the Passport said it could read from, but not write to, the micro SD card when it was put in the Passport.

As Mecca said, only by using the special formatter (exFAT, as I understand it, which isn't very well) could both the Passport read and write to the card while in the Passport and the Mac read and write to the card while in the SD adapter in the Mac card slot.

It's true that if the micro SD was formatted by the Passport I could copy files to the card from the computer when the micro SD card was in the Passport, but only by using the File Manager on the Passport to find the files on the Mac and copy to them. The extra formatting with exFAT allowed the micro SD card to be read by and written to by both the Passport and the Mac.
    11-28-14 07:43 PM
    Yes, an SD adapter comes with a micro SD card. As I mentioned in the post--one of them--when formatted by the Blackberry Passport, my Mac did not recognize the micro SD card in the adapter. When formatted by the Mac while in the SD card adapter, the Passport said it could read from, but not write to, the micro SD card when it was put in the Passport.

As Mecca said, only by using the special formatter (exFAT, as I understand it, which isn't very well) could both the Passport read and write to the card while in the Passport and the Mac read and write to the card while in the SD adapter in the Mac card slot.

It's true that if the micro SD was formatted by the Passport I could copy files to the card from the computer when the micro SD card was in the Passport, but only by using the File Manager on the Passport to find the files on the Mac and copy to them. The extra formatting with exFAT allowed the micro SD card to be read by and written to by both the Passport and the Mac.
    Since the latest crop of OS 10.3.1.xxxx are exFAT ready, the OS may be looking at hi-cap SD cards differently. Figured using the standard formating tool would solve your read/write problems. Glad to have been able to help!
    jafobabe likes this.
    11-28-14 09:15 PM
    Since the latest crop of OS 10.3.1.xxxx are exFAT ready, the OS may be looking at hi-cap SD cards differently. Figured using the standard formating tool would solve your read/write problems. Glad to have been able to help!
    Yes, Mecca, you are always able to help.

I wonder if the whole thing could have been avoided if I hadn't formatted the card at all in the beginning. IOW, it may have been formatted with exFAT out of the box and ready to go. I don't know. I was just used to formatting cards in the BlackBerry before doing anything with them, and with 32 GB and smaller cards, that always worked for both the BlackBerry and the Mac or Windows computer.

Too clever for my own good....
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-29-14 10:44 AM
    I don't think formatting is even necessary though. I've never formatted any of my SD cards before using them and never experienced any problems. Matter of fact I just got a 64 gig Sony card about a week ago (haha) and went about my business with ought formatting . MacBook and Z30 both recognized.

'30 on .1154
    11-29-14 11:20 AM
    My Z30 (note: 10.2.1.3442!) did format my 64GB card absolutely correct. No reason to use any other formatter outside.
    12-02-14 12:18 AM
    My Z30 (note: 10.2.1.3442!) did format my 64GB card absolutely correct. No reason to use any other formatter outside.
    Dunno if it's because this is a PASSPORT and not a Z30, but I just had to use the above linked SD formatter on my new passport so I'm adding to what the OP/this thread is about that you should indeed use the above linked formatter for using a 64gb PNY turbo SD card as well as a 32gb SanDisk (I tried my spare) in the passport and with Mac OS X.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 12:45 AM
    I'm going to gather a guess and say this is only an issue with MAC's?

Got my new sony 64GB SD card in the mail the other day. Plugged in my passport to my windows machine, backed up my old 16GB card to a folder on my PC, plugged the new 64GB card into my PP, formatted on the device, plugged in the card to my PC and copy/pasted over the folder on my PC, slap back into my PP. No extra formatting needed.
    12-02-14 03:41 AM
    Plug it into your computers card reader with the adapter and use a program called SD card Formatter

Z10
    12-02-14 06:17 AM
    I've had the SanDisk 128gb card since my Z30 days and never had a problem. Upon putting it into the Passport, it always say the card has been encrypted on another device. What I've tried so far, moving all the files to my computer via the card reader/adapter. When fully blank, place it into the Passport and format the card. Then the painstaking task of transferring all data back into the card. This didn't truly solve my problem as once in a while the msg would pop up again. I never had an issue w/ the pop up b/c I've always been able to access my pics, videos and music. It wasn't until recently I started editing files through file manager that it kind of messed up. I thought the solution would be to hard reset my phone and let it read the card again, didn't work. Tried popping the card out and in multiple times, didn't work. I would get msgs saying the files cannot be opened even though they are in the preview screen. Not sure what my options are. Any advice?
    04-09-15 09:53 PM
    I format using the Passport format option and it worked well on all platform. Mac formatting is a little tricky because they have 3 kinds format options and sometimes it doesn't format FAT system correctly.
    04-10-15 12:27 AM
    Can anyone recommend a good way to backup the SD card to Mac?

BlackBerry Passport, UK
    04-10-15 01:18 AM