02-16-15 06:59 PM
63 123
tools
    Not at all. I didn't say BlackBerry users are the only ones moving the world forward... just saying they tend to be that way.
    Gotcha. I still like it.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 10:17 PM
    can't believe this thread has received so many responses to the OP?!!!

if you're using the Z10 and need convincing to get the passport....maybe you should not get the passport
    02-16-15 12:29 AM
    My 2 cents. Just moved from an IPhone 5 (used in an all Apple setting both at home and work that includes desktops, laptops and Ipads). Been able to replace almost all apps except the Apple native ones that sync with Icloud.
    The Passport has been easier to setup than expected thanks to Snap. It really excels as a reader (books,docs,webpages,etc). Typing long texts is way easier than in the IPhone, also app multitasking and mail/social feeds management is simple thanks to the Hub. Size has not been an issue, fits snugly in shirt/jacket pocket. So far positively surprised by this phone, I would reccomend it to anybody that needs to write/read a lot.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 01:47 AM
    can't believe this thread has received so many responses to the OP?!!!

if you're using the Z10 and need convincing to get the passport....maybe you should not get the passport
    He's just cautious because the Passport has this 'weird' unconventional form factor and novelty, three row strapped down hybrid keyboard. No deal asking for some thoughts on the issue from people who may have gone through the same transition (Z10 to Passport).

Posted via CB10
    MRTTNS likes this.
    02-16-15 01:48 AM
    size matters
    02-16-15 02:21 AM
    yeah go try one, i love mine, its replacing my tablet for most stuff now.
    02-16-15 04:10 AM
    To the 'bigger issue', I'm typing this reply ONE HANDED on a Passport and am coming from a Z10. Needless to say, this doesn't work while walking of course.

But anything other than that: the Passport is better at literally everything over the Z10. I gave my Z10 to my mom and picking it up again felt so.....horribly narrow. It really felt like there was something wrong with the device, as if it's like a specially narrowed niche phone for people who want small, one handed devices, while the Passport now feels like the 'normal' phone. It's just getting used to and I swear this keyboard is downright awesome..

Posted via CB10
    Everything is not better than the Z10 or Z30 for that matter. Due to the 1:1 ratio screen mirroring via HDMI is an inferior experience to the widescreen phones. So if you plan on using the phone as not just a phone but as a media center / console / computer when hooked up to an external monitor think again. It sucks at that.

It's also not possible to my knowledge to use HDMI out and USB simultaneously (unlike ye good ole Z30.) I had high hopes that I would be able to use USB OTG on my Z10 then I found out that it wasn't coming out for it. The Z30 got it. I was hoping that the Passport could have done everything the Z10 / Z30 could do better but that isn't true. Lack of a dedicated HDMI port is a serious step backwards for my usage pattern. Also lack of widescreen output when hooked up to an external widescreen display is another drawback.

Also, I was hoping to be able to run apps like Caustic 3 using MIDI input through USB OTG on my Passport while hooked up to an external monitor. Well Caustic 3 isn't available for the Passport, even though the Android version works fine on it. I wasn't able to get my USB MIDI controller to work with it though but it worked fine on a Samsung Galaxy S4. Then another new music sequencing app came out recently - Audio Evolution Mobile. Guess what? It is not available for Passport either.

Even with all of these limitations and backward steps compared to the Z10 and Z30 I still like my Passport. It's just kinda frustrating to know that some of those limitations are actually artificially imposed and can be overcome by thoughtful OS and platform design. The app situation can be solved by allowing all Z10 / Z30 apps to be available for Passport by default instead of tying the Passport app compatibility and availability flag to the Q10. The screen is more than large enough to accommodate widescreen apps comfortably through either letter boxing or stretching - which is the way it works for Android apps. They could fix the video output so that it can run separate resolutions and aspect ratios on an external display - just like you can on a laptop. I'd be a much happy camper if those things could be implemented in the near future.

One other thing that counts as a step back is app compatibility in some instances. I expected all my apps to run better and work better than on the Z10. I used to use Waze, while playing music on Neutron MP with no issues whatsoever. Now, when I'm doing that on my Passport, everytime Waze makes a voice announcement, the music playback speeds up and flutters in Neutron MP.

Update: I edited my original post for grammatical reasons. Also, I should add that the lack of widescreen on an external display refers to lack of widescreen mirroring and widescreen output for apps that support widescreen. It is possible to play videos full widescreen on an external display using the Play On ----> HDMI DLNA video feature. This only works with DLNA compatible players. It works on the browser and the built in Video player. Frustratingly, if you're like me and are accustomed to streaming videos from your PC using remote file access and playing them full widescreen using the file manager, it won't work on the Passport since there is NO Play On feature when using the file manager to browse and play videos. So BlackBerry spoiled me with all of the nice laptop replacing features of BB10 and now they took away some of my most used features or at least gimped them on my awesome Passport device! Why? Just because it's 1:1? That's a lame excuse. They gotta do better and more innovative coding than that in my opinion. Satisfy more customers. Think outside the box. Allow us to push these devices to their limits.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CyberMan2013; 02-16-15 at 08:56 AM.
    MRTTNS likes this.
    02-16-15 06:00 AM
    Everything is not better than the Z10 or Z30 for that matter. Due to the 1:1 ratio screen mirroring via HDMI is an inferior experience to the widescreen phones. So if you plan on using the phone as not just a phone but as a media center / console / computer when hooked up to an external monitor think again. It sucks at that.

It's also not possible to my knowledge to use HDMI out and USB simultaneously (unlike ye good ole Z30.) I had high hopes that I would be able to use USB OTG on my Z10 then I found out that it wasn't coming out for it. The Z30 got it. I was hoping that the Passport could have done everything the Z10 / Z30 could do better but that isn't true. Lack of a dedicated HDMI port is a serious step backwards for my usage pattern. Also lack of widescreen output when hooked up to an external widescreen display is another drawback.

Also, I was hoping to be able to run apps like Caustic 3 using MIDI input through USB OTG on my Passport while hooked up to an external monitor. Well Caustic 3 isn't available for the Passport, even though the Android version works fine on it. I wasn't able to get my USB MIDI controller to work with it though but it worked fine on a Samsung Galaxy S4. Then another new music sequencing app came out recently - Audio Evolution Mobile. Guess what? It is not available for Passport either.

Even with all of these limitations and backward steps compared to the Z10 and Z30 I still like my Passport. It's just kinda frustrating to know that some of those limitations which are actually artificially imposed and can be overcome by thoughtful OS and platform design. The app situation can be solved by allowing all Z10 / Z30 apps to be a valuable for Passport by default instead of tying the Passport app compatibility and availability flag to the Q10. The screen is more than large enough to accommodate widescreen apps comfortably through either letter boxing or stretching - which is the way it works for Android apps. They could fix the video output so that it can run separate resolutions and aspect ratios on an external display - just like you can on a laptop. I'd be a much happy camper if those things could be implemented in the near future.

One other thing that counts as a step back is app compatibility in some instances. I expected all my apps to run better and work better than on the Z10. I used to use Waze, while playing music on Neutron MP with no issues whatsoever. Now, when I'm doing that on my Passport, everytime Waze makes a voice announcement, the music playback speeds up and flutters in Neutron MP.

Posted via CB10
    Well, maybe that's true. I used to have Z10, I find passport is so darn good. Using the keyboard dammm it feels so good. Especially I don't have to move my fingers to the screen for scrolling up. And the battery life, it is good but could be better with future os.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 07:13 AM
    You don't necessarily have to switch phones - a lot of people like me carry two phones: I have an iPhone 6 for personal email (iCloud), phone calls, etc. and my passport serves as a beast work phone - two work emails, conference call, best keyword I have ever used, great reading device....

Posted via CB10
    MRTTNS likes this.
    02-16-15 07:58 AM
    Hey there, if you're happy, stay happy, the passport makes me very happy, elated even, but it may not make you happy, because the Z10 never made me happy, not for the 4 days I had it, but yet it makes you happy, so probably best to stay happy......
    MRTTNS likes this.
    02-16-15 09:52 AM
    I want to buy a Passport but I'm happy with my Z10. Please convince me to change to passport....

Posted via CB10
    Buy a Passport...or else... <sinister laugh>

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    MRTTNS likes this.
    02-16-15 10:05 AM
    I loved my Z10, my Z30 both great phones.....the passport is by far my best Blackberry. Everything about the PP is amazing....innovation at it's best.
    MRTTNS likes this.
    02-16-15 06:31 PM
    Your gonna buy a passport because we KNOW where you live. We know where your friends and family live.
    You'll buy a passport because if you don't we'll make you use a dumb phone and put you on some obscure carrier.

Do I make myself clear??

Meet my little friend.. Fluffy!

kbz1960 and MRTTNS like this.
    02-16-15 06:59 PM
63 123