I have seen numerous threads about "would you buy a Passport that ran Android" and the like. Is there a way to convert my Passport to Android? I have the Priv now and still love the form factor of the Passport. Is there anyone that could do this? Is there anyone that has done this? If so, I would be interested in trying it as well.

Thanks.
    08-08-16 07:25 PM
    I don't believe so. The passport Doesn't have the ability to root Android into the system.
    That being said, I have experimented with Several different Android "Themes" and while they don't run perfect because they need to be rooted, I've still had pretty good luck.
    And there's a lot you can choose from and do with them (just remember you have to reboot to complete any downloads that you set up.

It won't harm the BB10 OS. The themes install on top of it... but it runs like an Android with android themes.And you can switch back and forth between the two.
    Amazon underground offers many free themes as does the Play store.

That's the closest you're gonna get to An Android on the Passport.
    I even tried downloading the OS that came before MM but it didn't take as well as downloading the different themes.
    08-08-16 07:57 PM
    No.
    andy957 and Joao Oliveira like this.
    08-09-16 10:20 AM
    I believe you both but forgive my ignorance of how the inner workings function. So there is no way to wipe the ROM and reload a new operating system? I would think that simply being computer chips that you could essentially do what you want with them and load any code? Is my thinking too simplistic?

Thanks for your thoughts.
    08-09-16 11:35 AM
    No. If you search a bit more there are numerous threads about the impossibility of replacing BB10 with another operating system.
    Your thinking about "load any code" is almost correct, except that BB10 and the phone's firmware are integrated.

I think firmware would the correct term - anyways, the boot operations of BB10 are very complex and there is an extensive verification process where the phone basically makes sure that it is loading a "pure" copy of BB10 - there's no way to get around it.
    08-09-16 11:42 AM
    Yes you can its called a Priv
    andy957 and glwerry like this.
    08-09-16 11:44 AM
    If it was possible I would have done it

Posted via BlackBerry Passport.
    08-09-16 02:10 PM
    I believe you both but forgive my ignorance of how the inner workings function. So there is no way to wipe the ROM and reload a new operating system? I would think that simply being computer chips that you could essentially do what you want with them and load any code? Is my thinking too simplistic?

Thanks for your thoughts.
    No, BB10 will not allow you to do that. Blackberries are much more secure than that. It is impossible. Do a search for it for more detailed explanations. In the meantime, enjoy your Passport for what it is. There are many good Androids available if you want to go that route. Nothing like the Passport though.

Cheers
    08-09-16 05:07 PM
    I don't believe so. The passport Doesn't have the ability to root Android into the system.
    That being said, I have experimented with Several different Android "Themes" and while they don't run perfect because they need to be rooted, I've still had pretty good luck.
    And there's a lot you can choose from and do with them (just remember you have to reboot to complete any downloads that you set up.

It won't harm the BB10 OS. The themes install on top of it... but it runs like an Android with android themes.And you can switch back and forth between the two.
    Amazon underground offers many free themes as does the Play store.

That's the closest you're gonna get to An Android on the Passport.
    I even tried downloading the OS that came before MM but it didn't take as well as downloading the different themes.
    Not possible............
    08-09-16 08:14 PM
    Not possible............
    NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE! IT"S JUST A MATTER OF FIGURING OUT HOW !!

Of course it's possible. But like I said. It just installs over the OS. LIke opening any app!
    Not all the theme versions work but many do. So do the live wallpapers.
    It's a bit of a challenge to set it up but once you do and save it. you just open the app and you'd never know bb10 was under it.

The "Go" Themes,Next and Nova themes seem to work the best!

Now, haven't you got some cars to chase? LOL
    08-09-16 08:51 PM

Of course it's possible. But like I said. It just installs over the OS. LIke opening any app!
    It's a bit of a challenge to set it up but once you do and save it. you just open the app and you'd never know bb10 was under it.

Hey now.............LOL..........I am chewing my bone....thank you!
    08-09-16 08:53 PM
    Thanks for all the info. I do have a Priv and like it but the form factor of the Passport is second to none for me. I had snap and loaded many android apps but as we all know, missing Play Services is a deal killer for some apps. Heck, even the American Airlines app requires it now. I would love to have the best of both worlds by putting pure Android on the Passport. I figured it was a long shot if no one had done it yet but thought I would ask anyway.

I will quietly walk away now and play with my Priv. Wait, that didn't sound right!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    PHughes likes this.
    08-09-16 10:48 PM
    Why do you wanna do that? That's not what the passport was made for. I dont understand when people say they want android. If you want an android there are millions available in the market. If you don't feel satisfied with bb10 then it's better to move to priv. Which infact is a downgrade! It's only the apps that make android attractive. Nothing else! If you can't live without apps then it's better to keep playin with your priv, which infact sounds right! Everyone has got different needs, if your requirements are different then it's always better to move on.

Posted via CB10
    Moh6ned and anon(3732391) like this.
    08-09-16 11:04 PM
    Thanks for all the info. I do have a Priv and like it but the form factor of the Passport is second to none for me. I had snap and loaded many android apps but as we all know, missing Play Services is a deal killer for some apps. Heck, even the American Airlines app requires it now. I would love to have the best of both worlds by putting pure Android on the Passport. I figured it was a long shot if no one had done it yet but thought I would ask anyway.

I will quietly walk away now and play with my Priv. Wait, that didn't sound right!

You can install the missing Play Services and have many, if not most or even possibly all of your apps that require it work on your Passport by reading and following the steps in the thread below.

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...g-page-965257/

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    08-10-16 06:39 AM
    Stick with Priv or come back to BB10. BlackBerry 10 is not dead and we hope to see Passport 4

Sent from a Silver Passport.
    nokia4life likes this.
    08-10-16 06:59 AM
    Stick with Priv or come back to BB10. BlackBerry 10 is not dead and we hope to see Passport 4

Sent from a Silver Passport.
    Passport 2 would be nice first!

I guess any passport update will run Android unfortunately.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport SQW100-1 running 10.3.2.2639
    08-10-16 07:03 AM
    Passport 2 would be nice first!

I guess any passport update will run Android unfortunately.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport SQW100-1 running 10.3.2.2639
    Yup the new Passport if their is one will be on Droid, but in the end it all works out.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    08-10-16 07:19 AM
    No.
    No means no.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 08:32 AM

A lot of people are counting on you to figure it out.
    It is simply not possible.
    Even if BlackBerry can do it with releasing an antoloader, they are not allowed
    Read the OHA and you wil see why.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 08:43 AM
    A lot of people are counting on you to figure it out.
    It is simply not possible.
    Even if BlackBerry can do it with releasing an antoloader, they are not allowed
    Read the OHA and you wil see why.

Posted via CB10
    Please stop! The same thing was said by the lot of us just prior to the priv coming out and yet BlackBerry internally laoded android onto a silver edition Passport in which even a public tester in Brasil got a hold of! Obviously BlackBerry is allowed. Thier even forking android. The OHA is always changing.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 08:49 AM
    Wow! Such strong opinions and language from some of you. Chill. Just asking ok?

I actually have several different phones and like them all for different reasons. Just reaching out to the community with a question of what I would like. I didn't ask what you like or what you care about so don't hijack the thread will all of your subtle hate.

Let's stick to the subject and be civil.

I appreciate all the helpful answers.

Last edited by kfehling; 08-10-16 at 11:38 AM.
    08-10-16 09:18 AM
    Please stop! The same thing was said by the lot of us just prior to the priv coming out and yet BlackBerry internally laoded android onto a silver edition Passport in which even a public tester in Brasil got a hold of! Obviously BlackBerry is allowed. Thier even forking android. The OHA is always changing.

Posted via CB10
    Anything is possible within internal testing units.
    We here are talking about the actual already-sold units.
    It is not possible.
    A manufacturer is not allowed to convert the OS to Android after they have sold it to the customer.

That is it. Like it or not. Passport is linked to BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    kfehling and TGR1 like this.
    08-10-16 09:28 AM
    Yup the new Passport if their is one will be on Droid, but in the end it all works out.
    I wont bet on that. BB10 is promised to continue. Makes sense that the PP be reserved for BB10. Beyond that OK for Android.
    08-10-16 09:51 AM
    Why do you wanna do that? That's not what the passport was made for. I dont understand when people say they want android. If you want an android there are millions available in the market. If you don't feel satisfied with bb10 then it's better to move to priv. Which infact is a downgrade! It's only the apps that make android attractive. Nothing else! If you can't live without apps then it's better to keep playin with your priv, which infact sounds right! Everyone has got different needs, if your requirements are different then it's always better to move on.

Posted via CB10

I love my Passport and wouldn't trade it for Android for anything,as long as bb10 is running
    I just like to experiment and love messing around with themes. Just as you can download Android gaming apps, you can down load Android theme apps. It's that simple.
    And just as some gaming apps work better than others, the same applies to theme apps.

I don't play games. I play with themes.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about.
    08-10-16 10:00 AM
    My source (read: employee at BB headquarters, software division) told me that BB had an Android Passport ready for launch almost a year ago but Google wouldn't let them release it because of the screen. The 1:1 aspect ratio messed up nearly all of the available apps and Google's TOS wouldn't allow BB to black bar that many apps.
    08-10-16 10:05 AM
46 12